2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Mazda 3 sedan bought it brand new in April, Soul Chrystal Red. I have over 20 chips on the hood, took it into dealer and was told to buy a pen, It's supposed to have 7 layers of Paint. I call BS on that. Chips are right to the metal love the car, hate the paint issues

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Its a Mazda, its got delicate paint. This problem hardly new or unknown. Most who worry about paint chips get a paint protection film applied when the car is new.
Soul Red Crystal is a 3 stage paint. The first stage is a layer of spectral grey metal flake that contains both light blocking and reflective flakes applied in a manner so they are all oriented in the same plane. Next is a translucent layer of high color content tinted clear coat, then the clearcoat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The red paint is prone to chips. I had hoped they would have fixed the issue by the 2019 model year, but apparently not. The next problem will be the difficulty matching any touch-up to the rest of the car. Let us know how it looks when you try it.

Some on other forums have been successful at getting Mazda to pay for a repaint.

I have 7500 miles and 3 months on my Black 2019 and had 100,000 miles and 4 months on a dark blue 2015 with few chips.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
The red paint is prone to chips. I had hoped they would have fixed the issue by the 2019 model year, but apparently not. The next problem will be the difficulty matching any touch-up to the rest of the car. Let us know how it looks when you try it.
It not just the red paint. Its pretty much all the premium colors. There is no "fix" as there is no actual problem with the paint. The paint process is what it is and Mazda isn't likely to change it anytime soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well this is concerning. How far would you go in recommending getting some sort of protective layer for a 2019 red mazda 3? It's a lease, so I guess it depends on whether or not the dealer will ding me for any chips when I return the car.

How likely is the dealer to consider it a factory defect and fix it under warranty when the inevitable happens?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Soul Crystal Red paint code 46V right? It's on their site.
You are right if I put the year down as 2019. Everything comes up. For 2020, not so much.
But, Soul Red is Soul Red, if I need the kit, its all the same. Thanks.
I know it is not an "if", but a "when". So far, not one chip on my paint as yet, fingers crossed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone debadged ugly dealer badges with this color paint yet? There's an obnoxious white badge the dealer puts on all their cars and I really want to remove it but I'm concerned about how thin this paint is.

Heat gun and credit card? Maybe ask a professional?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone debadged ugly dealer badges with this color paint yet? There's an obnoxious white badge the dealer puts on all their cars and I really want to remove it but I'm concerned about how thin this paint is.

Heat gun and credit card? Maybe ask a professional?
I would ask the dealer if you have any concerns about doing it. In my state they have to remove it if asked since they did not pay for the advertising.

I took mine off on a hot day without extra heat. It left a lot of glue that I rubbed of with the area soaped up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts