2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being absent for a week, nothing I could do about this... bird droppings have caused 3 / 4 of these paint chips on my roof, epi-centre of chip is about 1mm to 2mm..

From the cracklin its properly gone under the paint hasn't it 馃槥

Please can anyone recommend how to treat (can't afford respray).. and how long before I'll be dealing with a major problem??

Liquid Water Fluid Insect Arthropod

Registered
2018 Mazda3 6MT
I just saw this on Reddit and I'm having a really hard time understanding how bird droppings caused this alone.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bird droppings are acidic and eat through the paint and undercoat quickly. It's super wet and humid in the UK.

I don't know how else to explain it for you, but it appeared fast.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well the one pictured above is the worst one, but there are about 4 or 5 spots that need attention :rolleyes:

Probably going to do what I can for now and start saving.. anyone care to guess how long before the roof would demand a full respray if these things were just scraped of rust touched up and left ..?

Another pic for scale..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to a detailer about 3 weeks ago.. we glanced over the whole car there were two dots near the front (without legs under the paint) that was it.

Registered
Due to the shape of the front of our cars the hood and especially the front of the roof right above the windshield are very prone to stone chips. Easiest thing is to keep up on it with touch up paint before it starts to rust.

Registered
What do folks use as a primer, assuming a person uses Mazda's touch up "pen"? Rust converter? This also of course assumes the OEM primer layer, too, has been breached by the stone chip.

Registered
For something small like that I don't bother with primer or clear on top. Just use a good touch up paint with a brush. The pens are worthless. My objective is to stop the rust, not make it look good.

My experience has been if I want it to look perfect or close to I'm far better off to spray the entire panel. Way too much work for a touch up job.

Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
For something small like that I don't bother with primer or clear on top. Just use a good touch up paint with a brush. The pens are worthless. My objective is to stop the rust, not make it look good.

My experience has been if I want it to look perfect or close to I'm far better off to spray the entire panel. Way too much work for a touch up job.
same here ... mine is started to look like i have freckles on my hood with all the touch ups

Registered
2018 3 GT Hatchback,6 Speed MT
Touch up pen would work temporarily but unless you removed the rust with sanding or some type of rust inhibitor the rust would still be under the touch up paint and spread like cancer,
but a good block sanding in the area, small block with 120-320-400 progressive grits then a simple, quality spray primer and then a vinyl wrap could be a cheap alternative to a full roof respray and protect against future chips and bird droppings

Reactions: JoeMini

Mazda "E" Division
Online DiY companies have Primer/Paint/clearcoat in small jars. They have OEM paint variants and better than any pen style paints. The clear coat on paint is very visually better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts