2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I noticed that alot of non North American market 3's have paddle shifters.. Anyone know if its possible to order some and slap em on our 3's? ]

I also sa people doing this to their 1st gens with the rx-8 shifters... Is this possible for the new gens too?

·
RHD Mazda3 S
182 Posts
Hi all, I noticed that alot of non North American market 3's have paddle shifters.. Anyone know if its possible to order some and slap em on our 3's? ]

I also sa people doing this to their 1st gens with the rx-8 shifters... Is this possible for the new gens too?
No paddle shifter for US version?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope... Its slightly frustrating.

·
Registered
65 Posts
it does look like there are some covers behind the steering wheel where i'm guessing these paddles would go, has anyone figured out how to make good use of that space, it is obviously there for something or else it wouldn't be covered by two rubber/plastic stoppers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We need to find someone in the market area that has them on their 3's and see if they can go to a dealer and order some for us :cheesy:

·
Registered
703 Posts
WHAT? Where's our paddle shifters? WTH Mazda? That would have been a nice touch for us. :argh 1:

Reactions: Nikkivegas

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RX-8 paddle shifters for Mazda 3

It's for the first gen but It may work. It seems like all the paddles are are fancy switches that trip the upshift/downshift when depressed. The guy at the end mounted them like the lancer (steering column) If I could find the parts I'd like to try it. Maybe I need to go find a totaled auto RX-8 this weekend :cheesy:

·
Registered
35 Posts
i know in Taiwan's 2010 Mazda3, they have folding side mirrors with a hit of a button. very useful for tight parking spots! Japan gets the full NAV screen, where the radio is. for Canadians (me!), we get the free side markers.

better pics (Thailand's 2010 Mazda3):

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn.. what do Americans get?

Doesn't seem like anything lol.

·
1,091 Posts
Damn.. what do Americans get?

Doesn't seem like anything lol.
quite a bit, most notable imo is the 2.5L engine since it's not fuel efficient enough for the rest of the world, as well as the exorbitant taxes that exist based on engine size.

Many options missing from the HK Mz3, such as :
- Power Seat w/seat warmer
- Cruise control
- Bluetooth Hands-Free
- Navigation System
- Bose system
- 6 speed MT
- 2.5 GT
- Bi-Xenon HID
- AFS
- TPMS

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quite a bit, most notable imo is the 2.5L engine since it's not fuel efficient enough for the rest of the world, as well as the exorbitant taxes that exist based on engine size.

Many options missing from the HK Mz3, such as :
- Power Seat w/seat warmer
- Cruise control
- Bluetooth Hands-Free
- Navigation System
- Bose system
- 6 speed MT
- 2.5 GT
- Bi-Xenon HID
- AFS
- TPMS

Lol Fine then... make me look like a total tool. I don't care

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hmmm...forgive my ignorance, haven't owned nor drivin a car with paddle shifters, but I thought paddle shifters were up shift on one side of the steering wheel and down shift on the other, like indy cars? Is it done this way to be user friendly so you can shift with one hand on the wheel, not forcing you to keep both on the wheel?

·
Registered
71 Posts
these would be cool

well, if anyone hears anything more about this or ventures to get the RX-8 ones installed, I'd love to hear more about it as this would be a cool feature to have. weird that the RX-8 auto has them and the 3 doesn't..

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
I can add some "Hope" to this thread.

I am new to Mazda's but have a lot of PT Cruiser experience. For those who do not know, there are factory turbo PT Cruiser GT's with autostick shifters.

I have a buddy with Lexus paddles installed in his PT GT and they work great. I think that the actual process was that he used a wireless transmitter in the steering column that worked with the autostick receiver down by the shifter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can add some "Hope" to this thread.

I am new to Mazda's but have a lot of PT Cruiser experience. For those who do not know, there are factory turbo PT Cruiser GT's with autostick shifters.

I have a buddy with Lexus paddles installed in his PT GT and they work great. I think that the actual process was that he used a wireless transmitter in the steering column that worked with the autostick receiver down by the shifter.
hmmm, sounds like that could work, but on the other hand could be a slightly risky endeavor. if people start doing it and it works, or there is a way you can get the rx-8 paddles and have them dealer-installed so its a 'clean' job, then id probably look into it. i plan on selling the car in 5 years or so and i think some bastardized version of paddle shifters or something might bring value down a little. same reason I am reluctant to do any real mods to the car. i think thats fine if you plan on keeping the car for a decade or so, but going to sell a car with mods (even if they are for the better) to the average consumer who just wants a good, reliable car might be problematic. the manual shift gate is cool as is but the paddles would be cool indeed. the pictures posted above with the car in thailand with the paddles looks seamless.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts