2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the 2.5 MZ3 and higher trims with paddle shifters, and I know that some of the wiring for the higher trims is already available in the base models (i.e. the fog light wiring harness), so my question would be has anyone attempted to retrofit the paddle shifters into a base model 3? I'm assuming the wiring would probably still be pre-made behind the steering wheel.

Just curious.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just met somebody yesterday who had installed paddleshifters in his car that didn't come with any.. So yes, it's possible. I think he had a 2014 or 2015 3

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just met somebody yesterday who had installed paddleshifters in his car that didn't come with any.. So yes, it's possible. I think he had a 2014 or 2015 3
Well, if you meet him again ask him how he did it and report back for me. :laugh2::laugh2:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I've seen the 2.5 MZ3 and higher trims with paddle shifters, and I know that some of the wiring for the higher trims is already available in the base models (i.e. the fog light wiring harness), so my question would be has anyone attempted to retrofit the paddle shifters into a base model 3? I'm assuming the wiring would probably still be pre-made behind the steering wheel.

Just curious.
They should be pre-wired. I did it on the base Sky 2 which had a clockspring w/ no pins for the paddle harness. Had to replace it w/ 1 from the 3.
Pics here:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ce-interior/207666-racing-steering-wheel.html
Parts you might need below...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Too Many Projects!
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Min always pulling through with some great knowledge, I love it! Thanks! Maybe I'll take this on instead of trying to rip out my wheel for an aftermarket one :laugh2:
Haha...thanks! Crazy things can happen when boredom visits.
You'll need something I dint...stock steering wheel back cover from a wheel with paddles. It's generally an easy mod.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts