2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new to the forum and wanted to put a question out there for anyone who may have experienced this problem. My nephews 3 sport has 185000 miles on it. Recently, I had a mechanic, who is licensed and a friend of our family do a rear main seal job. Well he ran into problems and ended up replacing the fly wheel, from what he said. The car ran well for about six weeks, then the transmission AT and check engine light came on while my nephew was driving on the hwy. I put my scanner on it and got a P0771 code. I replaced the appropriate solenoids, which was solenoid e and the check engine and AT lights went out immediately. But when I test drove the car, the 4 speed transmission, would not accelerate in 4th gear, and the AT light came on again when it went into 4th gear. It would just rev and not move. All the other gears worked fine except, 4th overdrive. To make it clear, the AT light would only come on when the car was going into 4th gear, or at higher speed in 3rd gear, try to go into 4th gear. I did notice when I had the car initially towed to my house that the transmission fluid was dirty, so I did a complete flush, filter change and fluid refill when I changed the d and e solenoids. I changed solenoids d and e because it came in a 2 pack. Now with the new AT light on, there is no check engine light and the code was P0733. Again, I went online and there are several causes for this code. So to eliminate the cheapest cause first, I replaced the remaining solenoids, ABC and the EPC solenoid and again replaced the fluid with Mazda M5 fluid. I also cleaned the input/turbine speed sensor attached to the top of the transmission and replaced with new the VSS, mounted on the bottom of transmission. Still, no engagement in 4th gear and the AT light would come on again. Just as an fyi, to reset the ecm, I made sure the negative battery cable was off the entire time I did the repairs, both times. I did take the car to Aamco transmission who pulled the P0733 code for me and said I needed a new transmission. Well, that's not going to happen I will just get rid of the car. The only time the AT light comes on is when the transmission is in 4th gear, or in 3rd gear at high speed. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
You've done all the easy parts, but for a automatic transmission to last 185,000 is excellent. Replacement is the best bet... Internal damage could be anything from the flywheel->torque Converter->transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mr. Bren. Thanks for responding. I hear you. Unfortunately, a new transmission is not doable. So, if I can't find an easy solution to this problem, I'm going to get rid of the car. Good day :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I agree - if it's not an easy fix get rid of the car. Have you separated and cleaned with contact cleaner every electrical connection associated with the transmission?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding!

Good morning Mike C. Thanks for the advice. I actually have some CRC electrical contact cleaner in my garage. I'm going to try that today. I also found a site that sell reman PCM, TCM and ECU. That is also one of the possible causes of the code I got. I ordered one for $165 which is fully refundable, but will not try it until I clean the connectors. Didn't think of that. I'll keep you and MrBren posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well tried cleaning the connectors today, no good. I've cancelled the order on the pcm and am going to send this car to the graveyard in the sky. I guess it had a good run.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Somewhere in the distance I hear a bugle playing Taps.

Let us all have a moment of silence...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Death of a 04 sport 3

:laugh2: its crazy but I keep getting this nagging feeling that the transmission is still good and all I need is a new pcm. In the 04's the pcm controls the trans. In the 06 and up, they have a separate tcm under the battery box. I reached out to one of my favorite youtubers, Bundy's Garage and he replied he was going to look into it and get back to me. Last resort before getting rid of the car and taps! lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
'06 - '09 2.0L had a single PCM. 2.3L had a separate TCM and PCM.

As any of my cars approach 200k miles I try not to spend too much more money on them. Good luck with the advice from Bundy's Garage!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts