2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
MOD EDIT:

We have worked with the Autoguide Admins to approve this thread.

This thread will remain open as long as it stays on track with reviews and experiences. NO SALES, SOLICITATIONS OR ADVERTISEMENTS WILL BE ALLOWED OR TOLERATED. THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR REVIEWS.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thought I'd get this thread started off with my experience getting my 2012 Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0 manual tuned by Mat @ OV tuning. I've been getting my car tuned now for a few weeks, and the results have been very dramatic. My mods are a Corksport SRI with cold air box (with inlet mod) and racing beat axle-back exhaust.

My V-Dyno graph below shows a comparison of the stock map (blue&red) vs. one of Mat's recent map updates (green&yellow), with no dyno correction (results show wheel hp/tq, not flywheel). Both runs were performed with Shell 91 octane V-power, and with the SRI & exhaust. It shows that you can achieve over 20 whp on the top end while making loads of torque throughout the rpm range. I'm also making more torque at 3000 rpm than I used to at the peak at around 4100 rpm, which solves the low-end torque loss on the 2012-13 skyactiv's- without the improved skyactiv header (2014+), thereby improving driveability. My 25-40, 40-60, and 60-80 mph times in 3rd gear improved from 3.1 to 2.8s, 4.7 to 4.2s, and 5.2 to 4.5s, which confirms the power gains. I'm sure many of you are thinking that a real dyno graph would be useful as V-Dynos are not entirely accurate. I do agree with this to some extent, but Vdyno's are fairly accurate when runs are performed under the same conditions, and time to complete 3rd gear does not lie considering all runs were performed on the same flat stretch of road with the same mods and weight in the car. I've also logged both these stock and tuned WOT runs many times on that stretch of road, and was able to replicate very similar results each time.

OVtuned VDyno- 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv MTX.jpg

There is still room for improvement with my tune (not finished), and I will eventually see what can be achieved with 94 octane. Mat is currently working on a way to further bump up low to mid range power. This car feels MUCH faster with the tune. If you compare, a 2012 Honda Civic SI (newer model with higher torque) does 60-80 mph in 4.3s according to Car & Driver (http://media.caranddriver.com/files...driver2012-honda-civic-si-coupe-road-test.pdf), which is completely achievable with just tuning, and not far from what I'm getting now. I also love the way normal city driving feels much faster. As an added bonus, Mat calibrated my MAF sensor which helped correct my long term fuel trims after my Corksport SRI set them off, causing very negative trims (would dive to -12 very often). This really helped restore peppiness during city driving (vs. without the SRI), as my ECU doesn't constantly need to correct via closed feedback loop, a rich condition that was picked up by the O2 sensor. For everyone that has a SRI installed in this car, I would at least get your MAF sensor re-calibrated to smooth out the fuel trims.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This looks pretty promising. I'm considering doing this to my wife's car, 2012 Mazda 3 manual hatch. She drove my 2014 manual Mazda 6 for a few months while her 3 was in the body shop and has complained about low end torque ever since. I know this isn't really a goal here but have you noticed any change in mileage vs stock? 40 mpg on regular was a big reason for her getting the car but if mileage stays roughly the same or improves she probably wouldn't mind the more expensive gas.
I've noticed Skyactiv 2.5's do better vs epa ratings than 2.0's vs their ratings due to all the extra torque. People don't have to wind them out as far in regular driving. Kind of hoping the extra torque here is doing something similar.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This looks pretty promising. I'm considering doing this to my wife's car, 2012 Mazda 3 manual hatch. She drove my 2014 manual Mazda 6 for a few months while her 3 was in the body shop and has complained about low end torque ever since. I know this isn't really a goal here but have you noticed any change in mileage vs stock? 40 mpg on regular was a big reason for her getting the car but if mileage stays roughly the same or improves she probably wouldn't mind the more expensive gas.
I've noticed Skyactiv 2.5's do better vs epa ratings than 2.0's vs their ratings due to all the extra torque. People don't have to wind them out as far in regular driving. Kind of hoping the extra torque here is doing something similar.
Yeah, the low end torque difference with the tune is night and day... I've been having fun driving more spirited since I've had the tune, and the temperature has dropped a lot, so my mpg has gone down a bit, but that's completely expected. You can customize your tune with Mat, depending on what you are interested in. He can actually make cruising rpms (where the engine makes peak efficiency) more efficient by enhancing the maps at lower engine loads. For high engine loads (when you go WOT), he normally tweaks the maps so you get the most gains there. I plan to ask him to tweak the low load settings more efficient, so that I will actually gain mpg while cruising or being light on the pedal during acceleration, while still having more power when I need to dig into the pedal. At the moment, I noticed that my mpg was the same during highway cruising, and a bit worse when I drive aggressively. It really depends on your driving habits.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
This is posted on my build thread but I'll throw it in here too. On a 2010 2.0:

Customer service - was great! Answered all my questions. I even got to understand some of the knitting gritty things about VVT and such when I asked. And he tried to explain all the questions to his best of his ability so I could understand. He was very prompt. He answered usually within a few minutes or hour and always within the same day unless it was way late at night which is understandable. He actually talked to me on a personal level sometimes which was nice. He also got the tuning files he adjusted back either the same day or the next morning after I logged them.

Product - it feels good. Pedal feel is great. Wayyy more linear than stock. 1st gear feels like nothing now. It pulls up so quick it is crazy. I can feel the low end the most out of all of it. Torque seems way flatter and higher. Car pulls great 2k+ now in lower gears and you get an actual tiny push back in 1st and somewhat in 2nd gear. The car used to die anywhere below 5k, actually the stock tune just completely sucked and I probably could never go back now. I would just hate it. Car also has a bit more push up top than before. Red-line is 7200 now from 6500. Speed limiter is set to 150 and I'm not going to try to push the car that high probably can only get it to 120 at VIR. I'm very impressed with how the car feels now. I will be hopefully going to the dyno with some people this month near the mid or end of it to see some real numbers. I'm hoping for real numbers to be in the 150s for hp and 130s for torque for low estimates. For now, the tune according to Vdyno from stock tune until now has netted me 20+ peak hp/tq, about 30ish tq at the lower end all around from 2k-4k, and wayyyy more drive ability.

2nd revision file Vdyno:

1zdaj34.jpg

5th revision file Vdyno:

2mfq86.jpg

Last revision file Vdyno:

Last Vdyno.jpg

EDIT: Add attachments back and I've had the tune since April (8 months). Since then I've gone through two track days, 2 auto-x's, several mountain runs, and some hard driving in general. Car is still strong and stout. The car likes to beg for more beating it seems like it. I honestly hope I'll be getting it on the dyno soon. The dyno I plan on is 1 hour as many runs as you can get but we will see I'm not sure if it is worth seeing 150hp or whatever it may be.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
So... any possibility to tune the 2014 Skyactiv 2.0L with OV Tuning?
Join the Mazda 3 tuning group on Facebook if you can.

If not PM me and I'll get you info.

Reactions: whitelighting97
1 - 9 of 9 Posts