2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Awesome Member
41 Posts
Yup, he’s in the “New Territories” region of HK now. Pretty close to the airport.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Mat goes around. The world has gotten really small.:)
Great things are happening for OVT. Good to see all that gift, dedication, hardwork & passion come to fruition. More power, OVT!

·
Awesome Member
41 Posts
Hopefully the proximity to Shenzhen will help him find hardware partners so that he can offer hardware such as cams and headers.

·
Rubber side down
268 Posts
It would be nice to see (if he becomes more successful with the Toyota tuning) if he can maybe train a couple of people to do some tuning work and expand to bring back support of Mazda and other makes. Only time will tell.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,276 Posts
It would be nice to see (if he becomes more successful with the Toyota tuning) if he can maybe train a couple of people to do some tuning work and expand to bring back support of Mazda and other makes. Only time will tell.
Ovtune 1.05 (Alpha) for the Taco's are a hit/miss. Toyota's ECU's are more nit-picky.

·
Rubber side down
268 Posts
Ovtune 1.05 (Alpha) for the Taco's are a hit/miss. Toyota's ECU's are more nit-picky.
Interesting. He decided to take on what seems would be a greater challenge. Not to say it isn't worth doing, but he has dropped new customers for ECUs that would be easier money makers. I'm sure he has his reasons beyond being one man supporting hundreds, maybe thousands of customers. Still... I would hope he re-supports other makes down the line, or at the very least Mazda (seeing as we don't really have other options for tuning of this sort).

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,276 Posts
back in Dec 2018... we were talking about the 2019 OVTune going all out on Toyota. However, I'm still content on my Tune#2 for the last 25 days

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,472 Posts
Wait... what?!?! How am I suppose to tune mah shit then?!?!
You would need to find a shop to do a custom tune for you. Kind of iffy...

The thing that baffles me is there is a aftermarket car company specifically dedicated to Mazdas and they don't offer any tune packages. The only way to increase HP on the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Mazda 3 will require a tune and they don't offer ANYTHING... They're even making parts that will require a tune for them to work and they still haven't figured out the tuning side of things for them... They won't even respond to questions related to tuning in their blog. So utterly disappointing...
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
As of this morning OVT seems to be back in the Mazda business more or less. Probably not quite the same but tunes are apparently available again. We will just have to wait and see just what is being done, but the description does sound very similar to the previous mail-in tune package.
Seems like no more EcuTek for anything other than the MX-5.

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing that baffles me is there is a aftermarket car company specifically dedicated to Mazdas and they don't offer any tune packages. The only way to increase HP on the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Mazda 3 will require a tune and they don't offer ANYTHING... They're even making parts that will require a tune for them to work and they still haven't figured out the tuning side of things for them... They won't even respond to questions related to tuning in their blog. So utterly disappointing...
CK
It would seem that they are discovering the hard way that it isn't as easy as some would make it out to be.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,276 Posts
The real secret is that the ECU has the final say on performance and not so much in the aftermarket engine/exhaust parts. The factory vehicle speed equipment is street legal and engineer tested.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,276 Posts
Orangevirus Tuning has a "new member" on board to handle and take care of Mazda tunes... etc.

·
Rubber side down
268 Posts
You would need to find a shop to do a custom tune for you. Kind of iffy...

CK
Why... what company would that be? ;)

If that is the case, then they should focus development on parts that don't involve tuning. Get more into suspension and develop some hard urethane suspension bushings (super easy to engineer), chassis braces, maybe even some less common stuff that is normally offered through OEM manufacturers. Maybe a proper clutch kit, upgraded clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder (something not made of plastic that can handle real pressure). Personally, I would like to see some alternate interior panels. An arm-rest and cup holder delete (I might be alone on that one). Maybe take some classes on composite manufacturing and start making carbon or even fiberglass parts (or find a manufacturer to make it for them). The only hoods I have seen for GEN 3s have been on Alibaba from China and they all look ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts