2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

So recently I saw that OVT now has a handheld tuner for our Skyactiv 2.5 motors. I've been able to find very little information on the message boards about this. No reviews or anything like that. So I was hoping some of those might be able answer some questions I had.

https://www.ovtuned.com/collections...ctiv-handheld-tuner-denso?variant=36484884236

I'll absolutely buy this and give it a full review, but here are some questions:

1) It states 5 different tunes. What are these tunes? Are they all specific to 91 Octane, just different mappings based on desired aggressiveness? Or do they have different Octane tunes as well. Here in New England we basically have 93 and 94 in my neck of the woods. Hard to find 91. Not that it makes that big of difference, and if anything creates an added layer of safety.

2) The claimed HP and TQ gains are quite wide. Like 12 - 50 TQ? Which is it, one is 4x the other… So with these claims, is this based on bolt-ons? So if I'm stock, am I looking at the lower end of the stated claims? Or is this wide range specific to the 5 different tunes and their aggressiveness?

3) For anyone that may have this handheld tuner, I expect lower gas mileage, and based on your driving behavior, how much lower?

Furthermore, I see in their Facebook post on April 19, they list various Octane tunes. Some 93, yet the website doesn't state 93. When you order a handheld, does OVT reach out to you and ask some question to determine which 5 tunes to give you?

I'll add questions if I think of any more. Thanks in advance guys.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
From their Facebook post on 4/19:

MAZDA SKYACTIV HANDHELD TUNER TUNE SELECTION
We will be emailing our tune list to all pending Tune update emails.
here is our current list for tune selection. Your handheld tuner can hold up to (5) Maps + stock

2.0L
87-89 oct 6500 RPM
87-89 oct 7200 RPM
91 oct 6800 RPM
91 oct 7200 RPM
91 oct 7500 RPM
93 oct 6800 RPM
93 oct 7200 RPM
93 oct 7500 RPM

2.5L
87-89 oct 6000 rpm
87-89 oct 6500 RPM
91 oct 6500 rpm
91 oct 6800 rpm
91 oct 6900 rpm
93 oct 6500 rpm
93 oct 6800 rpm
93 oct 6900 rpm

Premium 91 / 93 octane tunes work with full exhaust (stock header)
they will also work with Corksport / JBR SRI

·
Registered
900 Posts
You have pretty accurately stated it. I chose 5 tune files based on what i thought would be best for me.

2.5L
87-89 oct 6500 RPM
91 oct 6500 rpm
93 oct 6500 rpm
93 oct 6800 rpm
93 oct 6900 rpm

The overall process of trying to get a clear understanding on what the real differences are was lacking in my opinion.
I will say that I now only run premium gas, as the car just seems to run better before the tune, and with the tune the mid range power seems there.

I will probably go back to stock and see if I feel any difference.

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have pretty accurately stated it. I chose 5 tune files based on what i thought would be best for me.

2.5L
87-89 oct 6500 RPM
91 oct 6500 rpm
93 oct 6500 rpm
93 oct 6800 rpm
93 oct 6900 rpm

The overall process of trying to get a clear understanding on what the real differences are was lacking in my opinion.
I will say that I now only run premium gas, as the car just seems to run better before the tune, and with the tune the mid range power seems there.

I will probably go back to stock and see if I feel any difference.
Thanks so much for the input @Matt22

Please check back in if you go back to stock. Would love to hear if there's any notable difference now that you're use to the tune.

A question for you though. Could you elaborate on running premium only now? Do you feel like the car ran better before you tuned it? That'd be nice insight to have.

I don't think I'd be looking to raise the Rev Limiter on mine. I rarely wind it up to 6500rpm to begin with. I would love to do a dyno day around here, get a baseline on stock (although that's openly available online); however, specific to my car. And then load different tunes specific to 93 Octane and see what the real difference is -- I doubt it's much, probably just the increase in the rev limiter. It'd be nice to have real world results with this handheld based on stated claims.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes I will add to my comments once i go back to stock.
and Yes, I felt the car seemed to run better on premium.
I should also note that I fill up my tank once a week so using premium might be a waste of money.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it possible auto transmission to reach 6900 RPM??
To my knowledge, only with a tune that specifically raises the rev limiter to allow it to reach 6900

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I will add to my comments once i go back to stock.
and Yes, I felt the car seemed to run better on premium.
I should also note that I fill up my tank once a week so using premium might be a waste of money.
You won't get any judgment on my end. If you definitively feel it runs better on premium, the rock and roll man.

I'm sure some ass-clown will weigh in and tell you all about the technicalities, but who cares. The octane debate has gone on for decades and there's plenty of threads on this board surrounding it

·
Registered
234 Posts
To my knowledge, only with a tune that specifically raises the rev limiter to allow it to reach 6900
Usually you can easily rise the RPM limiter of the engine, however auto transmissions have another limiter in their control unit, which prevents reaching the desired engine RPM.

That's why I'm asking whether it is doable with a tune.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Usually you can easily rise the RPM limiter of the engine, however auto transmissions have another limiter in their control unit, which prevents reaching the desired engine RPM.

I gotcha. Yeah, I certainly don't know much about Mazda and their controls.

I've tuned two other cars; however, both were American Made V8s (Dodge and Ford). Each were automatics (granted, each had heavy duty converters and other tranny components) and each were able to have their RPM limiters raised. So assuming it can be done in that setting, I would guess it can be done on Mazda too. I'm in no way educated on Mazda though. Maybe someone else can confirm.

·
Registered
900 Posts

I will attempt this for you.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,498 Posts
How was your engine sounding? Bet you got some engine fumes doing it too.
CK

Reactions: KitCarlson
1 - 15 of 15 Posts