2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After witnessing my friend blow a head gasket and warping the head along with it, it made me worried about the notification system on my car. If and when the time comes when I have a failing radiator or a stuck shut thermostat, how will I be alerted? I have seen the itty-bitty temperature "red hot" symbol during the startup sequence, but I doubt someone driving would be able to see that while trying to pay attention to the road. Does it blink once it reaches the temperature danger zone? Does it beep at you like the TPMS does? I really don't want to purposely heat up my car to find out but maybe if someone has experienced overheating or has a resource it would be nice to share. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
You can monitor coolant temps thru the OBD port either w/ a bluetooth ELM device + Smartphone or plug a dedicated gauge/scanner unit. My preferred PeaceOfMind piece...ScangaugeII. Reads/Clears codes & gives you data from voltage, coolant&intake temps to timed runs, & more....

Peace of mind is priceless.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
It's also pretty hard to miss the clues:

Check Engine Light / Temp Light
Steam from the engine
Strong Antifreeze odor

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's also pretty hard to miss the clues:

Check Engine Light / Temp Light
Steam from the engine
Strong Antifreeze odor
Yeah the point would be to shut the car down before steam is blowing from the engine. At that point it doesn't matter how hot the car is. lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
After witnessing my friend blow a head gasket and warping the head along with it, it made me worried about the notification system on my car. If and when the time comes when I have a failing radiator or a stuck shut thermostat, how will I be alerted? I have seen the itty-bitty temperature "red hot" symbol during the startup sequence, but I doubt someone driving would be able to see that while trying to pay attention to the road. Does it blink once it reaches the temperature danger zone? Does it beep at you like the TPMS does? I really don't want to purposely heat up my car to find out but maybe if someone has experienced overheating or has a resource it would be nice to share. Thanks!
Don't you already have an OBD tool? In your other thread you indicated you were monitoring intake temps, the same tool should be able to display coolant temps. If you don't have a decent unit to mount on the dash there are several phone apps that work well. Scangauge is a more expensive option but it does a lot and is easily installed on the dash.

·
Super Moderator
6,401 Posts
how will I be alerted? I have seen the itty-bitty temperature "red hot" symbol during the startup sequence, but I doubt someone driving would be able to see that while trying to pay attention to the road. Does it blink once it reaches the temperature danger zone? Does it beep at you like the TPMS does? !
Read your owners manual. Its in there.....7-26

·
Registered
182 Posts
Anyone know the temp the light will start to illuminate. My old car the temp gauge usually sits slightly off straight up. One day i notice it straight up (not overheating yet). It prompted me to check my cooling system. I found low on coolant. Coolant loss I found to be the plastic top seprating from the aluminum radiator. It was an easy fix and definitely saved me a costlier repair.

I wonder if this dummy light is like the low oil pressure light. A day late and a dollar short.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok well besides the smart-ass comments I do have a scan tool but I'm not looking to rig up an Autozone Scantool to my dash 24/7 and have the bright LED screen burning into my soul all night (I drive up to 8-9 hours a day). Also on a tight budget so I can afford to pay for college and bills so permanent gauges are not in my line of sight right now. As for the manual, yes I have the download but I posted right before work so I can come home to someone who already knew the information/had overheating problems before so I didn't have to dig through the table of contents. It's a time-saving measure. But I guess I'll go back to being a man-child. Thanks for the info.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
I had these things happen in my previous cars, steam, overheating and forgetting to fully tighten the rad cap.
All I did was pull over, cool off the engine and drove home late nite.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Instead of adding a stupid looking box on the dash, you can get something free and better looking.
Enable the Speedometer app in AIO tweaks and you can monitor on the main display many parameters of the car in real time.
You can customize which parameters to view and how to arrange them on the screen. Coolant temp, Intake temp and Outside temp are all covered.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lix is correct
you can fully customize what you see in the car....

mine has REVs as principal gear, thermostat temp, IAT, etc. also you can put the screen background black for better view...
this is before I had it specific to my needs..

in your case I would put coolant temp as the big one....

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lix is correct
you can fully customize what you see in the car....

mine has REVs as principal gear, thermostat temp, IAT, etc. also you can put the screen background black for better view...
this is before I had it specific to my needs..

in your case I would put coolant temp as the big one....
Us 2014 owners do not have that luxury of a full display. But that is good info for anyone else coming to this thread with the same question.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts