2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over 200 vehicles of all types from various manufacturers at all price levels now offer Apple CarPlay. CarPlay works with industry-standard protocols that underlie infotainment systems. The implementation is a MARKETING decision, not a software or hardware issue.

Link: 9to5mac.com/2016/12/08/apple-carplay-support-vehicles-models/

Mazda has chosen to keep the product line isolated from innovation. Interesting that it's closest partner, Toyota, has done the same. The difference is that Toyota is a much larger manufacturer with a more diverse product line. They may be able to afford to live on an island.

While I really enjoy my 2014 Mazda 3, I wouldn't buy again. The future of cars is connected to as many resources possible: for information, for entertainment, for automation, and for safety. My vehicles has been without promised real-time traffic since delivery. If I had CarPlay, this functionality and much more would be ubiquitous.

Mazda has chosen a dead-end path over compliance and compatibility. We, and they, are the losers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reason & JinZ:

No offense intended, but how does allowing your car to be open to industry-standard, well-tested software options harm you? Both Apple AND Android could be fully supported today, if Mazda chose. Instead, we have years-long efforts like the Infotainment Project and the All-In-One Tweaks that are hacking the Mazda in a limited way - until blocked by a system software update.

An open car system is inevitable. I don't think Mazda will move quickly enough for me. Third-party software adds features to your car at relatively little cost. Of course, Mazda would rather sell you a new car instead. I'm saying my next car will be a more open one, and likely not a Mazda.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not sure CarPlay and Android Auto really count as open and industry-standard. They are controlled by Apple and Google, not a standards body or consortium of auto manufacturers. I certainly agree that they would make it easier to add third-party features, but I would much rather have the source code for the entire infotainment system. Then we'd really see innovation and useful features, and CarPlay and AA could easily be added as features on top of that. (Well, AA, at least. Apple has a lot of stupid restrictions and controls.)

> The future of cars is connected to as many resources possible: for information, for entertainment, for automation, and for safety

I'd say the future of cars is self-driving ones where the infotainment system doesn't matter because you can just stare at your phone as-is.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think it all depends on perspective. If you want seamless connectivity, then there are cars that will do that. If you want an engaging driving experience, then I can't think of anything in the class or price range better than the Mazda. I wouldn't trade any amount of connectivity, android auto, or anything else, for the driving enjoyment I get from my 2015 3sGT manual hatch on a winding mountain road. But we all want different things from our cars, so I can totally understand switching to a different car that gives you the experience you want.

One day soon, cars will come along that will take us from Point A to B with little or no intervention while we sit back and nap or play candy crush. And on that day, you'll find me in 2nd gear with the traction control off doing e-brake slides across an icy parking lot, grinning like a 5 year old who got to eat cake for dinner.

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
It's crap so nothing I miss.
This.

If you want to play with your stereo, surf the internet, watch TV, gab on the phone etc, go home and sit on your couch and do it. 80 mph on the highway is not the place for this kind of thing. Drive the car and pay attention to what is around you, not the computer screen.
In the past 48 hours on this forum two members have reported the loss of their car due to "inattentive drivers". It happens more and more every day. Accidents caused by distracted drivers are becoming more frequent. Guess why?

·
Registered
78 Posts
This.

If you want to play with your stereo, surf the internet, watch TV, gab on the phone etc, go home and sit on your couch and do it. 80 mph on the highway is not the place for this kind of thing. Drive the car and pay attention to what is around you, not the computer screen.
In the past 48 hours on this forum two members have reported the loss of their car due to "inattentive drivers". It happens more and more every day. Accidents caused by distracted drivers are becoming more frequent. Guess why?
Mazda's built-in software already lets you gab on the phone. Android Auto doesn't let you surf the internet or watch tv. I think maybe you haven't used it? Either way, it's a separate argument. Nothing about Android Auto lets you to be any more or less of an inattentive driver than the built-in infotainment systems already do. For me, I'd actually need to interact with the infotainment less frequently.

What it can do is route you around traffic, maps are always up to date, it automatically suggests directions based on an upcoming event in my calendar (No longer re-typing addresses). Google maps, even without having a "destination" set, can tell you there's traffic ahead, and suggest a detour. No interaction required.

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
Mazda's built-in software already lets you gab on the phone. Android Auto doesn't let you surf the internet or watch tv. I think maybe you haven't used it? Either way, it's a separate argument. Nothing about Android Auto lets you to be any more or less of an inattentive driver than the built-in infotainment systems already do.......... No interaction required.
My point exactly. The fact is you don't need the level of connectivity that is now available to drive your car from point A to point B. I don't need a map to tell me how to get home from work when there is traffic, and certainly don't need the internet to tell me where I should be driving. You should not be fiddling with your phone or looking at the screen to change whatever music is playing. Where you are going and how to get there is something you should know before you get behind the wheel. You shouldn't have to look it up while you are driving. There is altogether too much going on in modern cars that is a distraction from what you should be doing, driving the car. There should be no interaction at all. Too many young drivers rely on technology to replace intelligence and real driving skills.

If want to know about connectivity and driving, here is something to consider -
The phone connected to the drivers mother.
The car connected to a tree.
The driver was ejected and connected to the ground.
Can you hear me now?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't need a map to tell me how to get home from work when there is traffic, and certainly don't need the internet to tell me where I should be driving.
Maybe you don't need it, but other people do. In my case there are at least 3 routes that i can take but most of the time 2 of them have 30min+ traffic jams. And its not always the same 2. Therefore i drive from work with navigation almost every day even if i know all the routes.

You should not be fiddling with your phone or looking at the screen to change whatever music is playing.
Correct, thats why I set the destination beforehand.

Android Auto would just be an improvement by automatically telling me about traffic jams even without setting a route every day. Also i would be able to see the navi info on the bigger car screen instead of the smaller phone sitting in the phone mount.

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
Maybe you don't need it, but other people do. In my case there are at least 3 routes that i can take but most of the time 2 of them have 30min+ traffic jams. And its not always the same 2. Therefore i drive from work with navigation almost every day even if i know all the routes.
Believe it or not, people have gotten to work for decades without a navigation screen to tell them how every single day.

Android Auto would just be an improvement by automatically telling me about traffic jams even without setting a route every day. Also i would be able to see the navi info on the bigger car screen instead of the smaller phone sitting in the phone mount.
This proves my point. You are looking at the nav screen instead of driving the car.
There are constant live traffic reports on every radio station around here. No need to rely on anything else.
I would love to see how the current crop of 20 somethings would melt down if their in car connectivity went away. How would they ever get anywhere? The majority of them can't find their way to the mailbox without some sort of digital assistance. :surprise:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Believe it or not, people have gotten to work for decades without a navigation screen to tell them how every single day.

This proves my point. You are looking at the nav screen instead of driving the car.
There are constant live traffic reports on every radio station around here. No need to rely on anything else.
I would love to see how the current crop of 20 somethings would melt down if their in car connectivity went away. How would they ever get anywhere? The majority of them can't find their way to the mailbox without some sort of digital assistance. :surprise:
Android Auto or nothing

·
Registered
61 Posts
If android auto or CarPlay is not of interest to someone on this forum, that does not mean that it isn't of interest to the majority of both this community, nor the rest of the Mazda customer base.

If you don't want android auto, CarPlay, or any connectivity at all, then just don't use them. That doesn't mean Mazda shouldn't have it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
CarPlay is a backwards thinking creation that is entirely depended from an hypocritical company that controls every aspect and its purpose is to maximize profits on all costs. Car play will not future prof anything and ill not miss it if its not in my vehicle. But i will agree that mazda has dropped the ball as its system design offers so much more that the company refuse to explore, which is the true shame

1 - 14 of 14 Posts