2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update - 0-60 runs posted 8 months after final tune..... 6.8 second time logged

I'm about ready to try this again sometime soon. The 1-2 shift on the 6.8 run is lousy - more of a thud into 2nd, so it's sluggish after the shift. Pretty confident I can at least hit 6.5, if not better - but it's all talk without video proof so we'll see

--------- ORIGINAL POST BELOW -----
I just ordered the OV tune for my '16 2.5 manual. I have the Racing Beat exhaust and an AEM filter installed.

I'll use this thread to let you guys know how things go with this. I have not seen alot of info on here about the 2.5 tuning (the mazda 6 forum has tons), especially with bolt-ons. Once I got the exhaust, eventually breaking down and buying a tune was a "mathematical certainty". I'm going to ask for a 93 octane tune with broad range power in mind vs top end.

I just now ordered it (on a friday no less) so it will probably be awhile until i have anything good to offer up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great

I will be subscribing to this thread I just got a 2.5 S GT last month I want to get a tune and same exhaust,can not wait for your results . I hope you do video too. Could you include total cost of these mods.
Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
price please
Final amount charged is $567 - includes the ECU interfacing tool required.\

I will be subscribing to this thread I just got a 2.5 S GT last month I want to get a tune and same exhaust,can not wait for your results . I hope you do video too. Could you include total cost of these mods.
Thanks
I will definitely keep you all posted, who else actually cares so much about my car mods? :laugh2:

The AEM filter was around $50 IIRC, and the RB exhaust was a bday present from wife, around $500 (check the website for exact price). She said the shipping was monstrous. Congrats on your new car - nice choice!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes keep us posted on the entire experience

From what I was reading in their FAQ is that you have to take data logs of idle and acceleration and then send it to them, from there they send you the tuned file to upload. From there I don't know if you have to repeat the process for tweaking?

Previous online tune files I've gotten (Trifecta Tune for GM) was a straight simple file and tune - that's it and it worked wonders. Didn't have to take data logs unless you had an issue or had specific mods.

I don't get why you need to follow this process if you have a stock car.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far so good. Going back and forth with OV to get the software setup, with license codes and so forth. Have the tactrix cable and believe the final code from OV before I can now start my first run. So far it's Going smoothly

·
Registered
26 Posts
About how long did it take you to get the codes from OV? I bought mine Tuesday and am trying to get the software codes but they haven't responded to the email I sent them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
About how long did it take you to get the codes from OV? I bought mine Tuesday and am trying to get the software codes but they haven't responded to the email I sent them.
Took me about a week or so, but i was not really chomping at the bit (rather unlike me, really), could have a been a bit longer.

I'd give it 10 days or so before really getting on them. For me it was all pretty uneventful, one day the emails just showed up. Since then, every time i have provided a code or emailed them for the next step, it's been a day or two max, or as little as an hour. I now am at the point where I have the base tune from OV, just need to load it up (just got it via email).

Yesterday i pulled the base dump file from the ECU. It was a bit tricky mainly because it shows some scary looking messages like "cannot read from ECU" while it's pulling the data. Apparently in spite of this i was able to provide OV what they needed since i received the base tune the next day (today). When pulling the data from ECU, you'll have to choose the ECU model, and for me the one that worked gave the "cannot read from ECU" type message, but continued with the progress bar - and then took about 20-30 minutes to finish. The others just errored out right away so you knew they were not the model to choose.

Also, my CEL lit up after just READING from the ecu - something about "Engine malfunction, see dealer ASAP". Car drove fine, CEL went out after 50 miles, OV assured me it's normal.

Hopefully i can install this base tune tonight and start doing a few runs this week. I'm glad my patience is coming through with this, because the inherent nature of the process requires it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So at the moment, the MazdaEdit software does not yet have my specific ECU in the current definition file, so i am not yet able to load up the base tune.

OV has already responded to my emails and is contacting Epiphan. These files are updated regularly so shouldn't be too long before i can get a new def file and hopefully load the base tune up and get moving on this.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. I checked the software site today and a new def file was posted, so I installed it, tried the flash again, and it loaded right up without a hitch. Took about 60 seconds to do the flash to the ECU once I hit the load button.

Car started right up, no CEL. I need to drive 25 miles then start logging.

Drove about 4 miles just now. Nothing major to report for power increase yet - need to drive it more and get further along in tuning process before attempting to make those guesses.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news - I decided to go for a drive to my testing grounds (aka Llewellyn Ave) after dinner, having driven 4-5 miles earlier the first time I took it out after the base tune was flashed. So just about right away on this drive, the car changed.

It's hot and humid as hell out here, so i'm using the a/c all the time. Now with the A/C running, the car is ballsier down low than it was before without the A/C running. When i give the car gas, it gets up and moves at pretty much any RPM. 1st gear does not quite feel like spacetime has stretched on you anymore. I turned the A/C off of course at times, and will when i do my logging, but my current frame of reference is with it on.

I could swear the exhaust note has changed as well, especially if i rev it a bit around idle - there's something else going on there now. Rawness. Or maybe i'm imagining things, but i don't think so.

None of this is to suggest i'm pulling a 5.0 second 0-60 all of a sudden, but there is no doubt, the car is more willing to get moving now. I have not redlined it, but plenty of 4-5K pulls - she feels good.

Looking forward to seeing what else comes of this, but so far, i'm convinced.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did the base tune logging last night. Trying to do a 2nd gear WOT run to redline in my usual testing spot was not going to work - 2nd gear at redline around 60+. I started a run and soon realized it was a bad idea, but not before again being impressed with the way the car got up and went.

I'm surrounded my miles of city on every side. Had to drive about 20 minutes to a non busy interstate section, slow down when it cleared and then go for it in 2nd. Doing these logs put a big smile on my face. I'll leave it at that for now at the risk of making this sound better than it is.

I checked with OV to make sure my butt dyno was not faulty, and it was confirmed the base 93 octane tune should already provide a noticeable difference. If I was told "no, you're smoking crack" I would have lost all faith in my ability to judge these things, because, man the car feels good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Did the base tune logging last night. Trying to do a 2nd gear WOT run to redline in my usual testing spot was not going to work - 2nd gear at redline around 60+. I started a run and soon realized it was a bad idea, but not before again being impressed with the way the car got up and went.

I'm surrounded my miles of city on every side. Had to drive about 20 minutes to a non busy interstate section, slow down when it cleared and then go for it in 2nd. Doing these logs put a big smile on my face. I'll leave it at that for now at the risk of making this sound better than it is.

I checked with OV to make sure my butt dyno was not faulty, and it was confirmed the base 93 octane tune should already provide a noticeable difference. If I was told "no, you're smoking crack" I would have lost all faith in my ability to judge these things, because, man the car feels good.
Haha yeah once you get to around the 3-4 iteration the gains are really noticeable. One piece of advice OV gave me and a lot of others was when you are doing your 12-15 min log data of driving around is to expose your engine to a wide variety of road conditions such as hills, curves, and etc so you can get a good varied range of data. Yeah almost everyone who has gotten a tune from OVT has loved it for the better throttle response and power and the drive-ability of the car in general. :thumbup1 1:

Reactions: ElNino77

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha yeah once you get to around the 3-4 iteration the gains are really noticeable. One piece of advice OV gave me and a lot of others was when you are doing your 12-15 min log data of driving around is to expose your engine to a wide variety of road conditions such as hills, curves, and etc so you can get a good varied range of data. Yeah almost everyone who has gotten a tune from OVT has loved it for the better throttle response and power and the drive-ability of the car in general. :thumbup1 1:
Awesome man - thanks for the tips. Hills are definitely an issue finding around here, but i did hit a large bridge at least so i'll have to make sure I keep finding those man-made hills which are all we have around this area - unless I decide to go rooting at Mt. Trashmore, which might not please local law enforcement as much as it might me!

Definitely looking forward to those later tunes (or heck, the next one for that matter). Was not expecting these early returns so if it gets even better, i'll be very pleased.

Biggest issue now will be heading out to the garage in the morning and ever choosing my beater (but beloved) Forester to drive to work to keep the miles off the 3!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts