2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you running a tune, I have a few questions that reading past threads really hasn't answered.
1. How is the throttle response after the tune. In stock form Its kinda lacking, the delay ruins the driving experience, especially when trying to rev match (it is better then most cars though)
2. Did the tune address the rev hang at all? I understand why it happens but it makes me absolutely hate driving newer cars.. I hope it can be changed to some degree.
3. How is 1/4 and 1/2 throttle acceleration when in higher gears? I am not really looking for wot experience since I rarely drive with my foot to the floorboard.
I have a 2.0 if that makes any difference. Thanks guys

·
Registered
900 Posts
I cannot really comment all that much since you have the 2.0L.

with my 2.5L I noticed some of my exhaust drone left due to the different RPM range i was in.
I just got the throttle map update as well and they helps alot with that lag you speak about.

If i were to do it again, i would probably stick with the tune then get a pedal commander so i can change the throttle response easier.

also i am tuning with the handheld because i have a denso ECU

·
Registered
13 Posts
My answer is only about point 2) of your question concerning the reduction of rev hang in Mazda engines (L3 in particular) but not by a tune but by my own stand-alone solution.

·
Registered
606 Posts
For those of you running a tune, I have a few questions that reading past threads really hasn't answered.
1. How is the throttle response after the tune. In stock form Its kinda lacking, the delay ruins the driving experience, especially when trying to rev match (it is better then most cars though)

The throttle response is a bit more immediate with the tune, but you will get huge improvements in the response if you get their throttle response upgrade (extra add-on for the tune). It makes a huge difference in the way the car responds. This upgrade was developed by OVT, and not offered by any other tuner.

2. Did the tune address the rev hang at all? I understand why it happens but it makes me absolutely hate driving newer cars.. I hope it can be changed to some degree.

The tune does not change the automatic transmission programming. That can't be done with a standard ECU tune, and I'm not aware of any tuners that have done this for skyactiv auto's. However, the tune can change the rpm shift points, and you can customize the tune settings called upon between normal and sport mode settings. For the Miata ND, Mat has also been able to customize the tune settings independently for each gear. Not sure if that's possible with tuning Mazda 3 ECU's.

3. How is 1/4 and 1/2 throttle acceleration when in higher gears? I am not really looking for wot experience since I rarely drive with my foot to the floorboard.
I have a 2.0 if that makes any difference. Thanks guys

When you are pressing mildly on the pedal, you are activating mainly low and mid load tune settings. Among the more significant tune settings to mention is VVT. At low to mid engine loads, Mazda designed the engine to operate in a sort of Otto-Atkinson cycle (I suggest reading on how the skyactiv engine works). Basically, the intake valves close much later in the compression phase, so you get a small amount of compression (less air to compress). The exhaust valves also close later, leading to more overlap and EGR. As a result, the engine becomes more efficient in low to mid engine loads, but also feels less responsive. If you reprogram VVT, such that the intake valves close sooner and the exhaust valves promote less EGR, the car will feel more responsive, but at the expense of fuel economy. That's why the tune mainly enhances the higher engine load settings (non-Otto/Atkinson), which are triggered by pushing the pedal down further. Most people report that if you don't go too heavy on the pedal, you won't see a significant drop in fuel economy from the tune. The best way to upgrade the response of the pedal at 1/2 or 1/4 throttle is to get the throttle response add-on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi All,

I had a few tunes on my 2.5. All were lacking in MPG or poor exhaust notes, power. There just aren't any good tunes out there. I scrapped them all and got a pedal commander. Removes all of the throttle lag and actually is much better than any of the tunes I've used. Can switch on the fly from my phone via bluetooth for track/street . I leave mine on sport +

I recommend using a transmission drain and refill and add LiquiMoly Ceramic engine treatment and fuel cleaner. My car has 80k on it and I needed the liqui molly for the engine and fuel system due to huge amounts of carbon the skyactive engine makes. You WILL notice a difference in shifting, especially in the 85-110 range, no transmission hangs or stuck shifts. I used transmission additive, ceramic engine treatment and now run liqui molly fuel system cleaner every 2 months. What a difference.
Liqui Moly (20002) Cera Tec Friction Modifier - 300 ml
Liqui Moly 2030 Pro-Line Fuel System Cleaner, 500 ml
Lubegard 63010 Platinum Universal ATF Protectant, 10 oz.

·
Super Moderator
6,562 Posts
Hi All,

I had a few tunes on my 2.5. All were lacking in MPG or poor exhaust notes, power. There just aren't any good tunes out there. I scrapped them all and got a pedal commander. Removes all of the throttle lag and actually is much better than any of the tunes I've used. Can switch on the fly from my phone via bluetooth for track/street . I leave mine on sport +
Really? "A few tunes"? From who exactly? There aren't that many tuners out there that will do a Mazda 3.....OVT is far and away the best option, and if the tune isn't working its almost certainly because your logging wasn't up to par. OVT can change your throttle response in a big way as part of the tune if you ask. The 35 extra hp doesn't hurt either, and mpg is a couple points better than stock, 26-27 average around town.

I recommend using a transmission drain and refill and add LiquiMoly Ceramic engine treatment and fuel cleaner.
I can only assume you don't really add engine treatments as part of the transmission refill........right?

My car has 80k on it and I needed the liqui molly for the engine and fuel system due to huge amounts of carbon the skyactive engine makes. You WILL notice a difference in shifting, especially in the 85-110 range, no transmission hangs or stuck shifts. I used transmission additive, ceramic engine treatment and now run liqui molly fuel system cleaner every 2 months. What a difference.
Liqui Moly (20002) Cera Tec Friction Modifier - 300 ml
Liqui Moly 2030 Pro-Line Fuel System Cleaner, 500 ml
Lubegard 63010 Platinum Universal ATF Protectant, 10 oz.
Using fuel system treatments are a waste of time. The SA-G is a direct injection motor so that snake oil won't have any effect.
Do you have direct evidence of those "huge amounts of carbon"? Pictures maybe, or before and after dyno results that show some improvement, or are you just just guessing based on what the purveyors of snake oil post on the internet ? Fact is the real world evidence from those who have actually checked says that carbon build-up in the Mazda DI engines isn't as much of a problem as some would have you believe....
For the SA AT-6 transmission I wouldn't use anything that doesn't meet Mazda specs or isn't approved for use specifically in that transmission.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes I understand but whatever they are doing and these specific products were recommended from tech in japan. They use on all rebuilds for skyactive and transmissions. The proof is in how it runs and I wouldn't drive aggressively without it. My car had logy shifting issues, changed fluids in trans, etc. Nothing worked until I used the products recommended above. Lots of "experts" always say they don't work but I tried them and would never go back! Proof is in how my car pulls and shifts 2x better than stock.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
793 Posts
1. OVT on my 2.0L throttle delay is gone .
2. I drive manual with a light / race exedy flywheel and i want the throttle to hang. The last thing i want is the flywheel to spool down from 7K to 2K between shift ,
releasing the need to have heel toe to bring the revs up higher.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes I understand but whatever they are doing and these specific products were recommended from tech in japan. They use on all rebuilds for skyactive and transmissions. The proof is in how it runs and I wouldn't drive aggressively without it. My car had logy shifting issues, changed fluids in trans, etc. Nothing worked until I used the products recommended above. Lots of "experts" always say they don't work but I tried them and would never go back! Proof is in how my car pulls and shifts 2x better than stock.
How about some actual proof instead of anecdotal evidence? You've done one thing quite well at least: evade every point that arathol brought up. So far all you seem to be doing here is pushing additives and allow me to be blunt here for a moment - it's coming off as spam.

·
Super Moderator
6,562 Posts
Yes, making a dozen response posts a day and replying to old threads with the same text with nothing but product endorsements and links, evading questions....

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
793 Posts
Yes, making a dozen response posts a day and replying to old threads with the same text with nothing but product endorsements and links, evading questions....

Woah that Eggs bacon and Spam look good !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts