2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after reading all the post here along with the 125 page thread on the Mazda 6 forum I have decided to bust out the credit card and buy the OV Tune.

In addition I sent OV a list of questions that ranged from me being in California (smog), to Dual tune mode on my AT, G-Vector, MazdaEdit vs EcuTek, as well as my thought on going with 89 octane...all were answered nicely.

So for those that may be interested, I'll do like everyone else and log my experience.

I just literally just made the purchase, so I have to wait.

To lay some ground work...

- I have an OEM air box with the AFE drop in

- I have a custom straight through (literally) axle back that uses a single Magnaflow muffler.

- I'm going to be tuning on 89 octane so that I can safely run all gas grades here (87,89,91).

- My goal is a dual tune....

1) In normal mode, increase drivability and smoothness and acceleration with the primary focus on the best MPG at freeway speeds (65-80 mph)

2) In sport/manual mode....it's all about the power!

We'll see what my $600 gets me

**** UPDATE - Jan-21st ****

Took a while but finally got all the keys and registration stuff out of the way and was able to pull my Stock Dump file and send it off. OV said they would need a few to decompile it since it was new. (aka 2017)

**** UPDATE - Jan-25th ****

Got my first file today. Was all exited because I got home and the wife and kid was gone so it was perfect timing to do my first flash with the base file. Unfortunately MazdaEdit threw up an error about not have Map Descriptions and even after updating to the latest (per OV tunes instructions), it still didn't work.

E-mailed OV and they said they will have to get an updated version from the software guy because my ECU is to new .... (starting to get the feeling I may be the first 2017 to do a tune... not really wanting to be the guinea pig here but sort of late now).

**** UPDATE - Jan-31th ****

Finally got the Map file updated for the newer 2017 ECU and was able to flash my first file. Will drive to work tomorrow (60 miles round trip) and when I get home, I hope to find some nice stretch of road to try and pull my first set of logs.

FYI, the instructions are really bad. But after reviewing other post along with feedback from OV, it sounds like my logs should include..

a) 2-5 minutes of warmed up idle
b) 2-5 minutes of normal city driving
c) WOT pull in 3rd gear w/ Sport Mode on (still a bit unclear with or without Kickdown mode)

**** UPDATE - Feb-2nd ****

So things have really picked up speed. I was able to do my first round of logging yesterday and OV had my 2nd flash ready today so I just updated the car. Will put some miles on it tomorrow and hopefully be able to pull the 2nd round of logs tomorrow (if it isn't raining to bad).

Oh FYI I ended up doing 1 WOT in 3rd with the pedal just before the kickdown. Then did the 2 WOT while engaging the kickdown @ 4k.....seems like Matt was OK with that because he has to do it again next time.

**** UPDATE - Feb-14th ****

So by the 4th file (which I believe only equates to 2 actual tuning files) OV says I'm done. I have yet to get a chance to pull any logs for the last flash but I have to be honest, I will be surprised if the numbers show anything. At this point all I've been able to do is compare my first set of logs, to the logs I pulled after the next to the final (which is the one that many people say they noticed their first leap), and if anything the car is slower.

So I want to reserve my take until I can pull logs on this "Final" tune and then I will do some comparing. At this point, my flash files were..

#1 - Stock
#2 - Raised RPM Limiter
#3 - Tuned
# 4 - Final

FYI, when I'm comparing logs, I'm looking at the overall HP\TQ claims on the VDyno, but I'm also looking at time delay between a specific MPH range, in addition to a specific RPM range. I'm also going to be looking at my MPG readings while cruzing at Freeway speeds because I had asked for "Economy" in normal cruzing mode, and "Power" in sport mode.

**** UPDATE - Feb-24th ****

So I was finally able to pull a couple WOT logs and compare those to my original Stock ones. Did the pull in the same stretch of road, but as you can tell by the dates, some time has passed so I may re-flash back to stock and try again.

However, preliminary report is ziltch... zippo... nothing... nada..

I crunched some numbers from the raw spreadsheet log, but then confirmed it with the MazdaEdit...specifically looking at the Dyno - Speed and Distance Tab.

Stock :

3000 - 5000 RPM took 6.858 seconds
80 - 120 KPH (50 - 75 MPH) took 5.927 seconds

Final:

3000 - 5000 RPM took 6.715 seconds
80 - 120 KPH (50 - 75 MPH) took 5.787 seconds

Sorry... but trimming 0.15 seconds for $600 has to be the worse investment ever :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
So after reading all the post here along with the 125 page thread on the Mazda 6 forum I have decided to bust out the credit card and buy the OV Tune.

In addition I sent OV a list of questions that ranged from me being in California (smog), to Dual tune mode on my AT, G-Vector, MazdaEdit vs EcuTek, as well as my thought on going with 89 octane...all were answered nicely.
I am jumping at the bit for this tune waiting for my intake and exhaust to arrive from overseas. I would bet your questions are similar to mine and others, would you mind posting them and the response, maybe save OV time re answering same questions?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've summarized the back and forth with OV but basically here are the questions I asked and their responses.

Q: Was about Smog, (especially California)…

A: All of our maps are for off road / professional / race use only. as with any performance modification. It only adjusts the stock ECM controls, and we believe it would not fail a sniff test or OBD test if tested. We have never had anyone report that.

Q: Was about the ability to flash between OEM and the custom tune at will. For example, taking the car into the dealer, or smog ;)

A: Correct, yes.

Q: Was just to clarify about the dealers, their ability to detect the tune, and the process of re-customizing the tune if the dealer does flash for a recall or such….

A: (paraphrasing)… I could switch back to OEM if desired, typically dealers have no way of detecting, and yes, if my ECU got updated, OV would then adapt the new version.

Q: Was about new G-Vector software and any effects their tune may have on it (especially since it is totally software based) …

A: We modify this feature to make it work even better. it mainly has to do with modifying throttle output.

Q: Since I have an automatic, I have 4 possible modes of driving: Auto, Manual, Auto + Sport, Manual + Sport. I asked if they were in fact able to tune differently to different modes…

A: …there are various maps dedicated to specific modes, mainly with difference in throttle opening and transmission control. We can make specific changes for each mode.

Q: The tuning package for SkyActiv sounds like it includes the purchase of some sort of hardware and software. After the initial tuning process, does this provide any long term usage? For example, can it be used as an ODB2 reader, reset engine codes, monitor engine performance, etc.?

A: Yes, the software you own for as long as you are our customer (lifetime basically). It datalogs the car, reads engine codes, resets, it is a full diagnostic software with flashing and logging ability.

Q: Was about tuning to 89 octane so that I can safely run 87 just in case…

A: Yes, with 89 you can safely run 87, but not lower (like 85). you can also safely use 91 on a 89 tune. If you tune for 91, you cannot use lower than 89.

Q: Was about tuning to 89 octane and the decrease in gains from the tune…

A: With 87 octane tune you can expect around 6-8HP, with 89 around 8-10. With 91 it bumps up to about 15-20+ and 93 20+ HP.

Q: Where I live (North Cali), the temps range from 30-60ish in the Winter, and 110+ in the summer. Should I wait until a particular season to do the tune….

A: It doesn't matter to be honest, the ECU has maps that adjust the tune based on intake temperatures so it will always be in check. The ECU itself corrects when temps get hot

Q: I had read that OV is changing to EcuTek instead of MazdaEdit. Would I then be doing my custom tune using this newer software….

A: This will be done on mazdaedit, EcuTek has not released support yet on these cars, and most likely will not because of G Vector, even though it's denso.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Thanks for listing and summarizing those questions. That's very helpful. I wanna do the tune for 91 (maybe 93...), but w/o any bolt-ons. I ironically just sent them a couple questions this morning. We'll see if they get back to me.

My primary concern is the I-eloop. While I've never been able to confirm, I want to make sure the tune doesn't throw the I-eloop dash light. If all appears well, I'll be doing this later in 2017.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've summarized the back and forth with OV but basically here are the questions I asked and their responses.

Q: Was about tuning to 89 octane and the decrease in gains from the tune…

A: With 87 octane tune you can expect around 6-8HP, with 89 around 8-10. With 91 it bumps up to about 15-20+ and 93 20+ HP.
I have 95 octane (100 RON) available here, wonder what number I would get with that.

Also here is a interesting quote from this article regarding CX-5:

Mazda unveils retooled CX-5- Nikkei Asian Review

The new iteration will come in gasoline and diesel versions. The engines are the same as ones used in the current model of the CX-5, but tweaks to such things as fuel combustion timing give the car better acceleration and responsiveness.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for listing and summarizing those questions. That's very helpful. I wanna do the tune for 91 (maybe 93...), but w/o any bolt-ons. I ironically just sent them a couple questions this morning. We'll see if they get back to me.

My primary concern is the I-eloop. While I've never been able to confirm, I want to make sure the tune doesn't throw the I-eloop dash light. If all appears well, I'll be doing this later in 2017.
Yeah it takes some time for them to respond. They are busy and after all... we are just window shopping at that point so I'm thankful they even bothered to respond :)

I'll be curious what they say about your eloop but I wouldn't think it would effect it since they basically just play with fuel maps and such and I thought the whole eloop was driven by throttle on\off.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still waiting for my hardware to show and to get my RegKey. I was doing some reading and I will say there is a couple things that caught my eye that are "disappointing".

1) Part of the expense is we have to buy the Tactrix hardware. This company comes with their own Flashing software. However I guess it can't be used for us... why else would we have to then also buy the epifan software (at an additional expense).

2) The Epifan software is licensed in a way that you can only use it on 1 car. I have 2 mazda's and although I did not expect to be able to tune my other car, I was at least expecting that the Hardware and Software investments (couple hundred at least) would have allowed me to at least pull standard ODBII data and maybe read\reset any engine codes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So got my Tactrix today. I'm a bit concerned. Since I had not heard back from OV about my software key, I sent a followup e-mail with my hardware code. When I opened the program back up (not sure why I did it), it gave me a DIFFERENT hardware code.

I sure hope this is not signs to come!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Any Update Da_jokker?
I have been thinking about getting tuned as well.
the dual tune option sounds like a great idea but I don't think its possible with out a reflashing all the time.
I wish it was as easy as pushing the sport button.

Looking forward to hearing more about your results, especially since you have the Auto 2.5

·
Registered
578 Posts
You can do two maps with a single tune. I'm running it for almost 1.5 years now

The software key isn't from OV themselves but another company. They're based in Russia if I remember correctly so sometimes it takes a few days to get received by OV before they email you about it.

Back in the early days of tuning a lot of people complained about not receiving their software keys or receiving keys that were inactive. But I'm sure this has changed since OV is partnered with EcuTek now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah no update. Kind of bummed I didn't get my key because it means I'll probably have to wait until the weekend now to do anything.

I'm trying to be patient because I know ov is busy...but hard not to want it all to happen asap.

No lag in charging the credit card :p

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah no update. Kind of bummed I didn't get my key because it means I'll probably have to wait until the weekend now to do anything.

I'm trying to be patient because I know ov is busy...but hard not to want it all to happen asap.

No lag in charging the credit card :p
I've been following their facebook page since I got my '16 tuned last year and boy have they grown a lot in 6 months. Took me about a month and a half before I was finalized (after I had to solve some computer issues due to an old PC I thought would work for it). Hope you get progress at a decent pace at least, not sure if they got more staff.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been following their facebook page since I got my '16 tuned last year and boy have they grown a lot in 6 months. Took me about a month and a half before I was finalized (after I had to solve some computer issues due to an old PC I thought would work for it). Hope you get progress at a decent pace at least, not sure if they got more staff.
yeah I was reading on the Mazda 6 thread that they tried to partner up with another company but it didn't last so he's back to doing it all. Another reason I decided to jump on it now instead of waiting because he's only going to be even more busy as times goes on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
2017 GT Owner here as well, would love to see your results after the tune (especially if you try to do 93 octane just to see what the max potential is).

From the last OV 2.5 tune write up I saw the numbers were a let down (12 HP increase). Anyone know of any successful write ups on the 2.5L?

I'd be interested in doing a tune on my stock 2017 2.5L. Only thing I'm upgrading would be the tires to Michelin Pilot A/S 3+. Curious to see if the OV tune increases the NVH as that's something I'd hate to compromise.

·
Registered
441 Posts
2017 GT Owner here as well, would love to see your results after the tune (especially if you try to do 93 octane just to see what the max potential is).

From the last OV 2.5 tune write up I saw the numbers were a let down (12 HP increase). Anyone know of any successful write ups on the 2.5L?

I'd be interested in doing a tune on my stock 2017 2.5L. Only thing I'm upgrading would be the tires to Michelin Pilot A/S 3+. Curious to see if the OV tune increases the NVH as that's something I'd hate to compromise.
The OVTune on my 2.5L auto box made a BIG difference! I don't care what the numbers show on paper, I'm concerned with how the car feels when driving. I don't drive a dyno. Both Standard & Sport modes have increased power. Sport mode feels like it could sometimes be too much for the car, even with suspension upgrades. The power comes on fast & hard! My next upgrade will be better tires. Was looking at the Pilot A/S 3+, but these new ones are even harsher in ride than the previous ones, which were harsh enough on my wife's Acura TSX. Not a good choice if you're concerned with NVH.

Matt is very slow at responding to e-mails, which can make the tune process very frustrating, but the end results are well worth it!

As far as NVH goes, that's affected more by an exhaust upgrade, than a tune. You can still get a good power boost using the stock intake & exhaust, if you're concerned about NVH.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The OVTune on my 2.5L auto box made a BIG difference! I don't care what the numbers show on paper, I'm concerned with how the car feels when driving. I don't drive a dyno. Both Standard & Sport modes have increased power. Sport mode feels like it could sometimes be too much for the car, even with suspension upgrades. The power comes on fast & hard! My next upgrade will be better tires. Was looking at the Pilot A/S 3+, but these new ones are even harsher in ride than the previous ones, which were harsh enough on my wife's Acura TSX. Not a good choice if you're concerned with NVH.

Matt is very slow at responding to e-mails, which can make the tune process very frustrating, but the end results are well worth it!

As far as NVH goes, that's affected more by an exhaust upgrade, than a tune. You can still get a good power boost using the stock intake & exhaust, if you're concerned about NVH.
Yah that's what everyone says, but stats give proof. I'd be more interested in knowing 0-60 or 1/4 mile times before and after. Obviously depends on the driver and conditions but actual numbers before/after tune are hard to find anywhere. It would really sell me more on getting a tune.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.