2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Hs anyone had any issues with the outside temperature reading in the Mazda 3 ? My temp reading was about 7-8 degrees off, sometimes as much as 10. Does it take some time driving for the temp gauge to accurately read ? I had a Mazda CX-5 previously, didn't have an issue. I washed the car this morning, could the sensor be wet ?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Hi everyone. Hs anyone had any issues with the outside temperature reading in the Mazda 3 ? My temp reading was about 7-8 degrees off, sometimes as much as 10. Does it take some time driving for the temp gauge to accurately read ? I had a Mazda CX-5 previously, didn't have an issue. I washed the car this morning, could the sensor be wet ?
Depending on where the sensor is located, it can take 5-10 minutes to reach the correct temperature. In addition, the car must be moving so the ambient temperature can surround the probe. The is also a time factor built in because the temperature around the engine bay can change dramatically. Therefore, the reading is actually an average over the previous "x" amount of minutes rather than the temperature at the moment. I don't know what the averaging period is on our car, however.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The temp sounds like it is s bit off but then the variables are... where is the probe located ? Also if sitting there can be heat off the motor or asphalt being reflected. I don't recall if you said that it was high or reading low ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The temp sounds like it is s bit off but then the variables are... where is the probe located ? Also if sitting there can be heat off the motor or asphalt being reflected. I don't recall if you said that it was high or reading low ?
Thanks. The readings are low. I haven't noticed (until today) how low it was reading. Like I said, it was 9-10 degrees off. I will keep an eye on it, I don't remember my CX5 being that far off.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thanks. The readings are low. I haven't noticed (until today) how low it was reading. Like I said, it was 9-10 degrees off. I will keep an eye on it, I don't remember my CX5 being that far off.
Ok, when you say it is say 10 degrees off... what are you comparing it with ? Sorry not enough info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, when you say it is say 10 degrees off... what are you comparing it with ? Sorry not enough info.
I have 2 weather apps on my phone that gives the temperature in my area. The temps are from 2 different locations within 5-6 miles of my location. One app said it was 73, the other app said 72. The reading in my car said 64. I was thinking that the apps were wrong but it felt much warmer than 64 outside.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You need to compare it with another gauge next to the car. the sensor is located by the front bumper if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have 2 weather apps on my phone that gives the temperature in my area. The temps are from 2 different locations within 5-6 miles of my location. One app said it was 73, the other app said 72. The reading in my car said 64. I was thinking that the apps were wrong but it felt much warmer than 64 outside.[/

Nobody's suggestion is the best way to check, in my opinion also. The app can be off a lot. I remember when riding my bike that in the summer I would go thru an intersection a hit a 5 degree change warmer and then half a block or so down the street hit the cooler air again. also we can have a temp difference of 5 plus. Or minus. From my place and the airport about 5 miles away. If you are truly getting a difference of 6 or 8 degrees difference then maybe your dealer can have it

Recalibrated.
mine is pretty much bang on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 2 weather apps on my phone that gives the temperature in my area. The temps are from 2 different locations within 5-6 miles of my location. One app said it was 73, the other app said 72. The reading in my car said 64. I was thinking that the apps were wrong but it felt much warmer than 64 outside.[/

Nobody's suggestion is the best way to check, in my opinion also. The app can be off a lot. I remember when riding my bike that in the summer I would go thru an intersection a hit a 5 degree change warmer and then half a block or so down the street hit the cooler air again. also we can have a temp difference of 5 plus. Or minus. From my place and the airport about 5 miles away. If you are truly getting a difference of 6 or 8 degrees difference then maybe your dealer can have it

Recalibrated.
mine is pretty much bang on.
Just got back from a drive. The temperature readout was exactly the same as the apps today. I guess the sensor is ok. Maybe it got wet during washing causing the erroneous readings !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts