2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else's temp Guage display temps that are much higher than the actual outside temp? For example, it was high 70F's most of last week, and every time my gauge said it was ~93F.

Every other car I've had has been more accurate than this.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I get higher temps when I start the car and then it drops to reality. This usually only takes about a minute or so.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
During the 45min commute home, it was saying it was 100-103F. It got as low as 95F. The actual temp is low 80F's. It never returns to normal for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This morning on the way to work (early, no sun) the temp was showing 5-6 degrees above the actual outside temp.

On page 4-15 of my owners manual it says that the display may not be accurate in certain conditions. Since it's usually hot here, I will now adjust my expectations of the display. ;)

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1431429843.565293.jpg

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Mine usually starts about 8-10 degrees (F) high, then drops as I drive. Ends up about 3-4 degrees (again, F) higher than my iPhone reads.

Would like to know where the sensor is located, too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Reactions: nanxun

·
Registered
189 Posts
I might attempt to relocate mine to an area where it gives a more realistic reading. I'm thinking maybe down at the bottom of the front bumper so it isn't as close to the engine and gets better ambient air flow? Any ideas? Moving it seems to be a pretty straight forward process.

·
Registered
174 Posts
On mine (2014 3S GT hatch), the ambient temp readings are pretty accurate, usually within +/1 a couple of degrees F of ambient, as compared to temperature displays at a few local businesses I pass on my commute. On a cold winter day with my car garaged overnight (attached garage), it will start out higher, consistent with ambient temps in the garage but 5~10 minutes into the commute, it goes to the correct ambient temp.

On the other hand, my old 2003 Protege5, which had an ambient temp reading in the rear view mirror had a very inaccurate temp reading. When sitting in traffic on a warm day (ambient about 80F), the reading would climb past 100F - the longer you sit, the higher it goes. One time it even said 165F, but since I haven't been cooked, it's obviously wrong :laugh2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts