2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running the Orange Virus Tuning tablets yet? If so could we get a review? Also is the tablet only good for the one vehicle ever or can you unmarry the tablet from the vehicle once flashed back to stock? And does anyone know why the tablet tune rated gains are less than the mazda tuning kits (I'm guessing just off the shelf tunes vs highly tweaked etunes)?

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
Anyone running the Orange Virus Tuning tablets yet? If so could we get a review? Also is the tablet only good for the one vehicle ever or can you unmarry the tablet from the vehicle once flashed back to stock? And does anyone know why the tablet tune rated gains are less than the mazda tuning kits (I'm guessing just off the shelf tunes vs highly tweaked etunes)?
The software on the tablet is registered to operate with one car only.

As for the ratings, its a canned tune with a lot of compromises made, a one size fits all. A tune that is tailored for your car will have better gains generally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know it's for one car at a time, but I was wondering say if your car gets totaled, or if you sell your car. Can the tablet flash the ecu back to stock then be used on a different car. It seems most tuning tablets/handhelds (see openflash tablets) are this way and I was looking for some confirmation.

·
Super Moderator
5,556 Posts
Yeah I know it's for one car at a time, but I was wondering say if your car gets totaled, or if you sell your car. Can the tablet flash the ecu back to stock then be used on a different car. It seems most tuning tablets/handhelds (see openflash tablets) are this way and I was looking for some confirmation.

From the OVT website:

CAN I SHARE THE TUNE WITH MY FRIENDS? OR SHARE THE HARDWARE CABLE?
The tune cannot be shared as it is locked to that individual vehicle. Nor the software. However the hardware cable can be shared an unlimited amount of times, and we actually recommend it to save on the costs if you have several mazda friends local to you all wanting a tune.

CAN I REGISTER THE SOFTWARE TO MORE THAN ONE DEVICE?
Yes you can. The software isn't necessarily locked to one device, but it is locked to ONE vehicle. If you need to register to another device, simply perform the same steps outlined in our instructions and send us your new hardware key.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have it, Unfortunately its been pretty rainy so I haven't been able to play around with it all that much. mid range power does seem to be better.
I might eventually go get dyno'd but haven't put in the effort to get that going.
Overall the process is really easy and switching between the files is fast.

Are there any other questions I can try to answer. Seems Mr. Arathol got to most of them.

I chose to go this method over the custom tune because it was easier for me, there seemed to be some mixed opinions on how to properly get data logs, etc.
I wanted one or the other and I figured getting this was the one way I could for sure not mess up the results. I look forward to hearing what other people have to say about the handheld tunes.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm planning on getting this too when the mitsubishi one becomes available. @Matt22 Is there a map that increases the performance for both normal and sport mode with the tablet? My goal is to gain some better low and mid end responsiveness.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'm planning on getting this too when the mitsubishi one becomes available. @Matt22 Is there a map that increases the performance for both normal and sport mode with the tablet? My goal is to gain some better low and mid end responsiveness.
You know i have not yet tried sport mode. I am currently on the 93 Octane w/6500 Redline option.

Car really seem s to run better and the drone seems to have reduced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum. Got a 2018 2.5 MT yesterday and getting my basic upgrades done: pzero as+, progress rsb, cs shift kit, rb exhaust.

Looks like OV is the best perf mod and want the handheld since I don't have a windows laptop. I'm looking for a 91 octane with 6800 redline with
linear low/mid torque bump for city driving and good corner exits. Is there a canned tune like that on the handheld? Not sure about availability of 93 on road trips, etc., but with handheld at least you can switch easily. How much of a difference between the 91 and 93 tunes?

What are the different canned tunes? Anyone else using the handheld? Worth it for a 91 handheld MT stock tune?

·
Registered
441 Posts
@ bTwix: I have the standard tuning kit, non-tablet, with almost exactly the same add-ons you have & spec'd for 91 octane, 6800 redline. My car has an auto transmission.

The biggest power gains are in the low end & midrange, making the car a better daily driver. However, there is more power everywhere.

@ lowincash: The tune improves the Normal mode nicely & the Sport mode takes off like a scalded cat!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks, Mike. How many fine tunes did you do beyond the stock tune? Were there noticeable improvements or more for reliability?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I emailed OV and they said unclear if they'll ever do handheld for Mitsubishi ECU so going to get the standard tune kit instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts