2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello there everyone!

A newbie question about the OV tuning kit. Have been reading quite a few threads and always come across "OV Tune". Have quite a little understanding on what this can do to my Mazda 3. Does this unlock the "potential" HP of the car? Please fill me out more:

1. what does this do to the car? benefits?
2. is this safe for the car (mazda 3)?
3. how do you install this? any tools required? systems required(gadget, laptop?)
4. where to get it? any authorized dealer? and how much is it?
5. is it the same with a "COBB" access port?

I drive a '15 mazda 3 iTouring, manual tran.

Please excuse the newbie question. hope ya'll can help.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
hello there everyone!

A newbie question about the OV tuning kit. Have been reading quite a few threads and always come across "OV Tune". Have quite a little understanding on what this can do to my Mazda 3. Does this unlock the "potential" HP of the car? Please fill me out more:

1. what does this do to the car? benefits?
2. is this safe for the car (mazda 3)?
3. how do you install this? any tools required? systems required(gadget, laptop?)
4. where to get it? any authorized dealer? and how much is it?
5. is it the same with a "COBB" access port?

I drive a '15 mazda 3 iTouring, manual tran.

Please excuse the newbie question. hope ya'll can help.

Thank you!!
The tune raises hp/torque, can tune for economy as well

Safe since they keep the car within safe limits, they've done a lot of these over years.

Need a laptop and they ship you a usb-obd adapter.

Ovtuned.com only. If you live close enough maybe in person.

They update the file you send them, send it back and you upload it to your vehicle via obd port connected to laptop and software.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It`s the same fundamental process as what the accessport does, you`re just using whatever Windows device you choose to work with. I used an old laptop I had sitting around as I`m a Mac guy and didn`t want to purchase a tablet just for the tune. I probably should have.

FWIW, I`m using an accessport now for my Speed 3, and in the spring when I jump to bigger turbo and aux fueling there is a high likelihood that I will retire the accessport in favor of a PC based device and switch to the VersaTune platform.

My experience with OVT was great. I`d do it again if I had another gen 3 vehicle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It`s the same fundamental process as what the accessport does, you`re just using whatever Windows device you choose to work with. I used an old laptop I had sitting around as I`m a Mac guy and didn`t want to purchase a tablet just for the tune. I probably should have.

FWIW, I`m using an accessport now for my Speed 3, and in the spring when I jump to bigger turbo and aux fueling there is a high likelihood that I will retire the accessport in favor of a PC based device and switch to the VersaTune platform.

My experience with OVT was great. I`d do it again if I had another gen 3 vehicle.
Thank you for the response. ??

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can I still use Unleaded Gasoline which has an octane rating of 87? Even with the tune?
It doesn't tune to a specific Octane.. however, whatever Octane you run while you are tuning, you are locked in to that OR HIGHER.

You can "safely" go down 1 octane if you must but you may want to only do that on occasion (for example maybe a road trip where you are not hot rodding).

I'm in the process of getting my 2017 tuned, and found this page very informative...

https://www.ovtuned.com/apps/help-center

·
Registered
441 Posts
It doesn't tune to a specific Octane.. however, whatever Octane you run while you are tuning, you are locked in to that OR HIGHER.

You can "safely" go down 1 octane if you must but you may want to only do that on occasion (for example maybe a road trip where you are not hot rodding).

I'm in the process of getting my 2017 tuned, and found this page very informative...

No, the tune is set up for the specific octane you request. For example, my tune was for 91 octane. A minor deviation downwards for a brief time should be ok, but you wouldn't want to do that continually. If you want to usually run 87 octane, then that's what your tune should be based on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
No, the tune is set up for the specific octane you request. For example, my tune was for 91 octane. A minor deviation downwards for a brief time should be ok, but you wouldn't want to do that continually. If you want to usually run 87 octane, then that's what your tune should be based on.

Seconded, I got a free 5 gallons (fresh, from family) and just knowing it was 87 made me shudder. It's not all bad since i had about a half tank of 91 in it still but I wouldn't step down, and would de-tune / re tune the car if paying for premium became an issue.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Going to disagree on this. He specifically says they stand out from all other tuners because they do not tune for octane. They tune to a safe level for your specific engine and setup and the octane you run allows them to push your engine more. (Aka get more timing out of it).

You could tune with them and never once mention the octane you are running. I heavily researched this because I did not want to get locked into a high octane fuel even though I know I'll take a hit on gains.

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts

How it works is you specify the octane for the tune and OV will set up the tune for that octane. If you tune for 89, you can use anything from there up. If you tune for 93, that is what you need to use.

From the OV tunes FAQ page:

We recommend 91 octane for all of our tunes, especially if you have a skyactiv......

If we tune you for a premium grade fuel you must use only the same or as close as possible to that grade fuel. For example if you are tuned on 91 and only 93 is available, use 93. If you are tuned on 93 and only 91 available in certain area use 91. We DO NOT recommend using lower octanes like 87 or 89 if you are tuned for 91 octane. If, in any emergency you need to put a lower octane, we recommend no lower than 89.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Absolutely correct and is what I said above. In addition on that same faqs...

Rest assured we don't tune for octane. We tune for the data we see. We don't throw on a blanket tune and hope it works, we slowly customize the tune, safely, to your vehicle and how it responds.

·
Registered
178 Posts
On ovtuned.com it states "tuning available for all octanes of gasoline and E85 Ethanol. Expected gains (91 ocatane) 20-24HP / 16-19TQ. On stock vehicle."

Does anyone know what the expected gains would be for 95 octane with sri and catback?

Also I can not for the life of me find it, but I saw a advert for a Mazda and it showed something like "91 ron 155hp" then on the same advert "95 ron 165hp". Yea I wish I could find it, spent 30 minutes going over history to no avail.

Such controversy over hp/octane and sri/heat soak/hp. Surprised its so complicated.

·
Registered
441 Posts
It isn't that complicated, but some want to make it be. Must be a joke-or something.

When I got my tune 1 1/2 years ago, I was specifically asked what octane I was using or wanted to use. The data collected is based on the octane gas you are running to provide that data. Then the tune is set, based on that data, which was gathered while running 91 octane, in my case. The tune is hand-done for your particular vehicle, but is based on your choice of fuel.

The greater the octane, the greater the potential power. Very few of us have access to 95 octane pump gas, so I doubt there are any "projected gains". A 10 HP jump from 91 to 95 doesn't surprise me. When you get the tune for your specific car & setup (exhaust, SRI, etc.) this will all be factored in. Then you can go have your vehicle dyno'd & see what YOUR car's gains actually are.

·
Registered
502 Posts
On ovtuned.com it states "tuning available for all octanes of gasoline and E85 Ethanol. Expected gains (91 ocatane) 20-24HP / 16-19TQ. On stock vehicle."

Does anyone know what the expected gains would be for 95 octane with sri and catback?

Also I can not for the life of me find it, but I saw a advert for a Mazda and it showed something like "91 ron 155hp" then on the same advert "95 ron 165hp". Yea I wish I could find it, spent 30 minutes going over history to no avail.

Such controversy over hp/octane and sri/heat soak/hp. Surprised its so complicated.
are you talking about RON or octane? because there's a difference in numbers. over here we get 91 RON which is the normal stuff, then 95 and 98. 91 and 95 are easy to get but 98 are mostly in metro areas. which would be the equivalent of the us 87 89 and 91 octane gas.

·
Registered
178 Posts
are you talking about RON or octane? because there's a difference in numbers. over here we get 91 RON which is the normal stuff, then 95 and 98. 91 and 95 are easy to get but 98 are mostly in metro areas. which would be the equivalent of the us 87 89 and 91 octane gas.
In the Philippines Petron has 100 ron, which I figure is about 95 octane US. It is easily available to me so would use it, especially if it will improve the hp/tq over the 91 mentioned by OV. It seems from what I have read it would but am asking to confirm.

·
Registered
502 Posts
the fuel mapping and dyno map has to be done right. but in any case, the higher compression and direct injection engine benefits way more from higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It isn't that complicated, but some want to make it be. Must be a joke-or something.

When I got my tune 1 1/2 years ago, I was specifically asked what octane I was using or wanted to use. The data collected is based on the octane gas you are running to provide that data. Then the tune is set, based on that data, which was gathered while running 91 octane, in my case. The tune is hand-done for your particular vehicle, but is based on your choice of fuel.

The greater the octane, the greater the potential power. Very few of us have access to 95 octane pump gas, so I doubt there are any "projected gains". A 10 HP jump from 91 to 95 doesn't surprise me. When you get the tune for your specific car & setup (exhaust, SRI, etc.) this will all be factored in. Then you can go have your vehicle dyno'd & see what YOUR car's gains actually are.
When you first start the tuning process and send in the first logs, if I'm tuning at 89 octane fuel, does my entire tank have to contain 89 octane when doing the datalogging after the base map?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
When you first start the tuning process and send in the first logs, if I'm tuning at 89 octane fuel, does my entire tank have to contain 89 octane when doing the datalogging after the base map?
You'd wanna provide as accurate a log possible for best results.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,203 Posts
Yes, of course, otherwise its not really 89 octane in the tank. Pick what octane you want to tune for, then fill the tank, drive until almost empty then fill again, then repeat. Once you have cycled out the lower octane you can start the logging.
Just so you know, tuning for 89 doesn't do a whole lot, don't expect miracles. This is not the place to cheap out on. If you don't want to buy more the expensive gas high octane gas, don't bother with the tune. The higher octane is how power gains are made for the most part. What you get from an 89 octane tune is not worth the time or expense of doing it. Others have done it and have been very disappointed by the results.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, of course, otherwise its not really 89 octane in the tank. Pick what octane you want to tune for, then fill the tank, drive until almost empty then fill again, then repeat. Once you have cycled out the lower octane you can start the logging.
Just so you know, tuning for 89 doesn't do a whole lot, don't expect miracles. This is not the place to cheap out on. If you don't want to buy more the expensive gas high octane gas, don't bother with the tune. The higher octane is how power gains are made for the most part. What you get from an 89 octane tune is not worth the time or expense of doing it. Others have done it and have been very disappointed by the results.
I'd tune at 91, but in Texas, we only have 87, 89, and 93. I guess I could tune for 91 and do a tank mix, but that seems like a slight pain when getting fillups.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts