2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

541 - 560 of 602 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
I'm on my 4th tune file and it definitely pulls harder than stock. I wanna do a 0-60 on the ScanGauge when I get a chance to see if there's any real world difference.
Did you get any numbers before you started?
I knocked almost a full second off the 0-60 times in my 2.0L car. Before the tune was just a tick over 8 seconds. After the tune, 7.2. So, yes, as long as the datalogging was done properly and OVT made the necessary re calibrations, you should see a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Unfortunately, I didn't have the ScanGauge at the time. Im happy with anything close to 7 seconds though, especially in this 90 degree weather.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
225 Posts
I loaded the ‘race’ tune that I got from OVT with my first tune. The throttle from idle is extremely sensitive at first, then let’s off as you pull into second gear. I’m not sure if I like it yet or not. The throttle response was already good with the initial tune, but this ‘race’ version almost feels like a strong jolt if you’re not careful.

Reactions: blacksoutm3

·
Registered
178 Posts
I loaded the ‘race’ tune that I got from OVT with my first tune. The throttle from idle is extremely sensitive at first, then let’s off as you pull into second gear. I’m not sure if I like it yet or not. The throttle response was already good with the initial tune, but this ‘race’ version almost feels like a strong jolt if you’re not careful.
That must be a automatic thing.. didn't notice much with mine. It's a bit more responsive but not sensitive by any stretch. Maybe the subsequent tunes will dial that in more..?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got my final tune last week, and was finally able to take it out for a few 0-60 runs the other day. This is after driving over 100 miles on the tune already, so plenty of time for the ECU to adapt if needed.
I was only able to get 7.8 (8.1 - 8.4 on my first few tries), but I'm not disappointed at all. Reason being, the tune's given me so much torque down low & in the midrange, I'm getting constant wheel spin & tire chirps from any kind of semi-aggressive take offs from a stop.
I feel like low 7-seconds is definitely possible with grippier tires and stiffer springs. I'm sure 80% humidity in this heat doesn't help either.

Revving to 4K rpm (the rev limit in neutral) and dumping the clutch gets me low to mid 8-seconds only, as the tires simply spin too much at launch. The Michelin AS3's are just no match for the OVT tune.. Definitely need to get grippier tires next summer, I'll just have to deal with the AS3's until then and learn how to better feather the clutch when launching the car. I only have 9K miles on my AS3's so there's plenty of tread to practice burning off until then.

As others have stated, there's more power down low (2 - 2.5K RPM) to 'cruise' on the highway in 6th gear. On slight inclines or when I need to gently speed up, there's no need to downshift like before.
And my MPG's are better too. I don't know how this translates to real world MPG, but the Fuel Economy tracker (on the infotainment screen) is constantly around 37-39 MPG when cruising at 70-75 mph. Before the tune, I had a hard time getting 37 MPG when cruising over 70 mph. The highways aren't flat around here, so it'll probably be even better for anyone living closer to sea level.

In all, definitely happy with the final results. Butt dyno feels much better in everyday driving, city or highway. I opted for a tune to get "max" HP & Torque in the low-mid range, so maybe that has something to do with my 0-60 times. Up to about 5K RPM, the engine pulls hard. After that, power drops off... and by the time it gets to 6K, the engine's kinda struggling to get to 6.5K. I decided not to raise the rev limit (this time), since I found myself shifting around 6K RPM anyway most times.

If I decide to do another tune, maybe I'll try and shift the power band more into the higher RPMs (with a higher rev limit) and see how that feels. Not sure how much that'll take away from the low-mid power, but it'll be interesting to compare.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
I just got my Dragy yesterday and plan on testing the various tunes to see which produces the best numbers.

My bet is the 10% tune will win out.

I spin my Michelin PS4s like crazy if I dump the clutch at 3k rpm with the 50% tune. They grip much better the than DWS06s and stock Dunflops I've had, but still spin like crazy if I don't ease into the launch.

Not sure what else I can do to improve that.
CK

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
682 Posts
Geez ...if i drop/dump my clutch at 3K i will stall... too much grip with the Hankooks

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Geez ...if i drop/dump my clutch at 3K i will stall... too much grip with the Hankooks
You're running a different engine and setup though.

The Sky engine spins the wheels pretty easily with all of that low end torque.

I think I need to play around with my front camber and caster settings, but not sure what else.

Did a couple 0-60 launches and was around 8 seconds each time.

With a little practice.. and the a/c off (it was hot).. I'm hoping to get that lower.
CK

Reactions: reeves

·
Registered
178 Posts
You're running a different engine and setup though.
The Sky engine spins the wheels pretty easily with all of that low end torque.
I think I need to play around with my front camber and caster settings, but not sure what else.
Did a couple 0-60 launches and was around 8 seconds each time.
With a little practice.. and the a/c off (it was hot).. I'm hoping to get that lower.
CK
Not sure how much the A/C factors in, but I had mine on too (level 3). I wasn't expecting much with the heat, humidity, and all-season tires. The elevation was 876 ft where I was at.
Can't wait til winter to compare how much difference colder dry air makes though.. with no A/C. I'll go back in a colder month to the same spot (with the same tires) to do another 0-60.

My front cambers are pretty apparent.. I'm guessing 1.5 - 2.5 degrees maybe, just visually guessing. I haven't gotten an alignment yet.. still waiting to see if I want to install stiffer springs.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Stiffer springs and an alignment will help.

Add some negative camber up front and find a way to adjust the front caster for better take offs.

Thinking of getting these to add to my front SPC camber bolts.

CK

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 iGT
225 Posts
That must be a automatic thing.. didn't notice much with mine. It's a bit more responsive but not sensitive by any stretch. Maybe the subsequent tunes will dial that in more..?
Maybe..
I loaded my second tune last week. That jolt I was getting from the "race" tune is no longer there and I seem to be getting better MPGs, too.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Cool. He's just getting started too. :)
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
A tune should not have a ton of torque from idle or have a lot throttle sensitivity dialed in from 0%. If there is too much of either, or both, the end result will be uncontrollable wheel spin from a standing start. If you have a torque curve that starts climbing quickly from about 1500 and is nearly flat from 2500 to beyond 6k rpm, thats where you get good 0-60 times.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
Is that a 3rd gear WOT? Mine look a little different.. Starts much higher and is more linear with less correlation between power and torque..

I sent Rafael like a ton of logs recently and asked him to review them. Still haven't heard back. Hmmm.. may need to follow up.

Here is how mine looks with my current 50% tune on 91 octane doing a 3rd gear WOT onto a freeway entrance... It's cool I used my signal..
50%_3rdGear_WOT.jpg

CK

P.S. I will be flashing in the 10% tune shortly.

Reactions: dd18

·
Registered
836 Posts
When you guys speak of 50% what exactly do you mean? Is this so-called t map (throttle "mapping")?

If the throttle pedal is "opened" to say 10% ... that is to say if it were hard-connected to the throttle plate you'd have that throttle "blade" opened to 10% of 90° ... or 9° open... well with 50% T Map... would it mean the throttle is opened another 50%... meaning to 13.5° open? i.e. the "gain" is turned-up by 50%?

If the above is accurate... then does the tuner adjust the tune's throttle gain so that the gain reduces as the rpm's climb... ? So that it tapers-off to no gain at a certain mid-rpm point? If the tune embues the engine with more bottom-end torque say... is some of the heightened bottom end torque feel due to the throttle behaviour?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
I didn't ask too many specifics.

This may be a newer version of the throttle remapping.
CK

·
Super Moderator
6,221 Posts
Is that a 3rd gear WOT? Mine look a little different.. Starts much higher and is more linear with less correlation between power and torque..

I sent Rafael like a ton of logs recently and asked him to review them. Still haven't heard back. Hmmm.. may need to follow up.

Here is how mine looks with my current 50% tune on 91 octane doing a 3rd gear WOT onto a freeway entrance... It's cool I used my signal.. View attachment 278357
CK

P.S. I will be flashing in the 10% tune shortly.
Thats a 2nd gear pull WOT to cut-off. Its the "final tune" that Rafael did when I first did the tune process. Its has a good torque curve, plenty of power in the places its required. I've had several test tunes since then, some I liked, some not so much.
This is from the current tune. Lots more torque off the line, maybe a bit too much, and will spin the wheels readily if you allow it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can anyone chime in on the options offered by OVT? As in, what type of tune should I be asking for?

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,491 Posts
It depends. What are your goals?

I asked Rafael to increase torque and HP as much as possible and to perform a throttle remapping. Increase rev limiter to 7k rpm. Increase max speed to 150 mph. Min idle to 750 rpm. 91 octane, because anything higher is hard to come by around here..

I was lucky, as Mat was able to review the final tune and put his stamp of approval on it. :)

I'm learning that too much throttle response may not be such a great thing. The max HP and torque on a log will look better, but you sacrifice some drivability in return. i.e. feathering throttle to avoid wheel spin and riding the clutch a bit more on gear shifts.
CK

·
Registered
836 Posts
When you guys speak of 50% what exactly do you mean? Is this so-called t map (throttle "mapping")?

If the throttle pedal is "opened" to say 10% ... that is to say if it were hard-connected to the throttle plate you'd have that throttle "blade" opened to 10% of 90° ... or 9° open... well with 50% T Map... would it mean the throttle is opened another 50%... meaning to 13.5° open? i.e. the "gain" is turned-up by 50%?

If the above is accurate... then does the tuner adjust the tune's throttle gain so that the gain reduces as the rpm's climb... ? So that it tapers-off to no gain at a certain mid-rpm point? If the tune embues the engine with more bottom-end torque say... is some of the heightened bottom end torque feel due to the throttle behaviour?
Bump... Anyone?

541 - 560 of 602 Posts