2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright Everyone, here is what many of you have been waiting for... Mat from OV Tuning has just completed his Dyno testing on a 2015 Mazda 3 skyactiv 2.0 manual trans with 91 octane and a SRI!!!

In this first graph, run 1 was the stock file run:

Stock- run 1.jpg

This graph has the final tune run 8
Final OV Tuned- run 8.jpg

We can see that this OV Tune produced a very impressive 20 whp and 25 wtq gains with just 91 octane and a SRI. What makes this more impressive, is that intake temperatures were between 115-120+ oF (heat soak from the SRI). Still, the gains are around +15% whp and +19 % wtq. Assuming 15% drivetrain losses, this would be to the effect of 178 hp and 183 tq at the crank! With higher octane gas or E85, and additional bolt-ons such as an exhaust, there is still much more power to gain :laugh2:

[Edit]

The owner of this tuned Mazda 3 posted his driving experience in the following thread. He mentioned his tuned 2.0 felt faster than a stock Mazda 3 2.5L skyactiv that he test drove to see if there was any difference. This suggests that you can obtain 2.5L performance for the ~$500 cost of the tune:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/858-powertrain-2014-mazda3/685650-tuning-orange-virus.html

OV Tuning website:

https://www.ovtuned.com/

More information about what goes into an OV tune:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=597475

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can get an ov tune tune with the same power gains as seen on the dyno when in WOT, and have it set to give you better fuel economy while cruising. So when you get on the throttle hard, fuel economy will be slightly worse, but then it gets better when you maintain speed/cruise. Your driving habits then greatly determine your overall fuel economy.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Still waiting to see dyno graphs of a 2.5 OV tuned.

Can we rename the thread to be dyno graphs for both 2.0 and 2.5 or can we make a separate thread for the 2.5?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Still waiting to see dyno graphs of a 2.5 OV tuned.
We still don't have tuned dyno results from a 3rd gen Mazda 3 2.5, but there have been dyno's done on Mazda 6 2.5 skyactiv's that share a very similar drivetrain. Here are dyno results on a Mazda 6 skyactiv 2.5 with a SRI and I believe 91 octane. It compares baseline with tune file 4:

Mazda 6 2.5 skyactiv- OV Tuned.jpg

It shows a change from of 152 to 173 whp and 157 to 178 wtq which are gains of ~13-14% whp/wtq. Assuming 15% drivetrain losses, this would have an effect of ~210 hp/tq at the crank. As the tune had not yet been completed, there is still a potential to gain more power.

Reactions: ElNino77

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Thanks, sky. I'm sure many have been waiting for this. I know the 6 has been done & proven, just 1 question: No issues w/ iStop & eloop functions, right?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, sky. I'm sure many have been waiting for this. I know the 6 has been done & proven, just 1 question: No issues w/ iStop & eloop functions, right?
Mat mentioned that there were no issues with the i-ELOOP system. One customer was having some issues on their Mazda 6, but the problem turned out to be that they didn't give the system enough time to charge (factor outside the tune settings). Post 909 here:

Orange Virus Tuned 3rd Gen Mazda6 2.5G Skayctiv Results and Technical Discussion - Page 91 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

Same thing should apply to the Mazda 3, but you may wish to contact him for more details.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I asked coz a fellow Mown3r on a piggyback system is having issues w/ the i-ELOOP. The tuner is still sorting that out.
Thanks again, sky!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for posting... So does this mean my guesstimates from my vdyno numbers of just over 180 with 93 octane, after market intake, exhuast and completed tune weren't that far off?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, absolutely! In your case, you could be making more power with the extra octane and exhaust upgrade :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
We still don't have tuned dyno results from a 3rd gen Mazda 3 2.5, but there have been dyno's done on Mazda 6 2.5 skyactiv's that share a very similar drivetrain. Here are dyno results on a Mazda 6 skyactiv 2.5 with a SRI and I believe 91 octane. It compares baseline with tune file 4:

View attachment 124306

It shows a change from of 152 to 173 whp and 157 to 178 wtq which are gains of ~13-14% whp/wtq. Assuming 15% drivetrain losses, this would have an effect of ~210 hp/tq at the crank. As the tune had not yet been completed, there is still a potential to gain more power.
Sooo tempted to get the OV tune, but I don't have an exhaust or intake (yet). I wonder if it would be worth it to tune the car for 91/93 octane with the stock exhaust and AEM dryflow? At some point I'll probably get a short ram intake and re-tune at that point.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about with no premium gas?
You can get your car tuned on regular gas. However, the gains possible will be smaller. There are some individuals who tried tuning their Mazda 6 2.5 skyactiv on regular vs. premium gas, then reported the differences in gains on the Mazda 6 forums. Since there hasn't been a lot reported for 87 tunes on 3rd generation Mazda 3s, I'd ask Mat what gains might be possible.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sooo tempted to get the OV tune, but I don't have an exhaust or intake (yet). I wonder if it would be worth it to tune the car for 91/93 octane with the stock exhaust and AEM dryflow? At some point I'll probably get a short ram intake and re-tune at that point.
You could get it tuned now, then have it re-tuned for extra bolt-ons. There will be gains with the stock box & AEM dryflow filter. Although the stock box is more restricting than a SRI, it counters heat soak better vs. an unshielded SRI, so it will perform fairly well in real world driving conditions.

If I were to choose between an exhaust or intake prior to a tune, I'd go with a shielded SRI or CAI. These require the MAF sensor to be calibrated which will be done by the tune, whereas an exhaust mod (aside from header) will not need any sensor calibration, and requires little or no tune setting adjustments. So if you upgrade to a SRI now, you will not need to get re-tuned when you get an exhaust after the tune.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You could get it tuned now, then have it re-tuned for extra bolt-ons. There will be gains with the stock box & AEM dryflow filter. Although the stock box is more restricting than a SRI, it counters heat soak better vs. an unshielded SRI, so it will perform fairly well in real world driving conditions.

If I were to choose between an exhaust or intake prior to a tune, I'd go with a shielded SRI or CAI. These require the MAF sensor to be calibrated which will be done by the tune, whereas an exhaust mod (aside from header) will not need any sensor calibration, and requires little or no tune setting adjustments. So if you upgrade to a SRI now, you will not need to get re-tuned when you get an exhaust after the tune.
True about re-tuning later on. It does seem to be a pretty straightforward process for the OV tune. I'd have to use my work laptop (only have a desktop and tablet at home) but I can get around that.
Regarding intakes, maybe I'm just a complete wuss, but the thing that has stopped me so far is that I'm in a CARB state (NJ) and I've yet to see a CARB-exempt intake for my car. (I know, this hasn't stopped plenty of folks...) I've tried to search to see what the potential penalty is, but I haven't been able to find it. I'd kind of like to know the magnitude of the penalty. Is it a small fine and drive away, or would they tow my car to the impound yard?

·
Registered
163 Posts
True about re-tuning later on. It does seem to be a pretty straightforward process for the OV tune. I'd have to use my work laptop (only have a desktop and tablet at home) but I can get around that.
Regarding intakes, maybe I'm just a complete wuss, but the thing that has stopped me so far is that I'm in a CARB state (NJ) and I've yet to see a CARB-exempt intake for my car. (I know, this hasn't stopped plenty of folks...) I've tried to search to see what the potential penalty is, but I haven't been able to find it. I'd kind of like to know the magnitude of the penalty. Is it a small fine and drive away, or would they tow my car to the impound yard?
I think it'd probably be you can't pass inspection.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Very nice results indeed. Definitely worth the money, in my opinion.

I have a catback exhaust and SRI on mine, so I'm hoping for a bit more power along with 93 octane fuel that I have in Florida.

Does anyone know if OV Tuning accepts Paypal as a payment method on the site? Or just direct credit cards only?

1 - 20 of 542 Posts