2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forums, good to be here.

My main reason for making a thread is to inform people about the ORANGE VIRUS TUNE that is now available for our cars.
And not only mazda 3s.
Anyways my experience with this tune has been amazing.
The results are beyond expectation.
The tune starts off with buying yourself a tactrix open port 2.0 and a mazda edit license.
And the cost of your actual tune Will vary depending on stage 1,2, or 3
After you receive your port and your license. The work on your end is very easy (and quite fun).
You will connect to your cars ECU with your open port and a laptop and you will take an initial log of your cars data.(usually a WOT pull in 3rd)
You then send it on over via email to mat (the tuner) and he will make a revision of the file and send it back to you.
You will the import the info into your car.
All in all about 8-10 logs to build your engine to its full potential.

As for results. Ask anyone who has gotten the tune.

In my experience on my 2.5 N/A engine mat built 41whp and 43tq.
and trust me the car feels like it's got the power.
My initial log showed I had 170whp/168tq. By the time mat an I were wrapping things up my numbers went up to 211hp/212tq.
Redline is set at 6800rpm.
Speed limiter (what speed limiter) haha
The power band is silky smooth from to finish.
The car finally has the get up we all wanted it to have from the factory.
In all honestly I do not have a single complaint about any aspect of my tune.
Mat offers customer service at its finest.
response times are very quick. All questions are answered with explanations.
and everything is handled with profession.
(Now I'm not here to bash companies or say anybody sucks)
But I had given dynotronics a thought for getting my tune.
But when I realized response time was horrible and my questions were not even answered. I figured I'd wait until something better came along.
Thank god for Orange Virus Tunes.

I hope this answers something for the people interested in getting their 3's tuned.
I'll answer anything I can if anyone has any other questions that come to mind.
For that matter. Ask any of the 20 people already tuned(or in the process). Not a single one of us will tell you it's not worth it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm right there with Chris. Everything he says is spot on.

I have a 2012 skyactiv 2.0 and we are punching out great numbers with much much more to come. I'm currently at 179hp and 163 torque.

Keep checking my build thread or pm me and I'll keep you guys updated as I get new numbers. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them the best I can!

I will be finding a dyno and doing stock v full tune when I am done with my tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Feel free to ask me too. 2.0 non-skyactiv here. Getting to end of my tune and power output. I will post real dyno results when finished

Original Vdyno
10290208_1472629736302502_1421638552_o.jpg

6th revision Vdyno
10288529_1471689006396575_1570220212_o.jpg

As you can see I've gotten some real good gains. These are just Vdyno's not real numbers but there has been some significant increases. 24hp/22tq. Tq curve is also way flatter. Power all around is a lot better.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Please don't confuse a log estimate with an actual dyno number chris. That is very misleading since as far as I know you haven't done a physical measurement. Glad its working out so far though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not saying the numbers are exact. But some of us have looked up and did some research. And vdyno does prove to be pretty accurate.
My butt dyno definitely agrees with the numbers I've seen though.
I do want to get on a real dyno though some time soon so i can have the comparison and see how accurate it is with my car.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'm not saying the numbers are exact. But some of us have looked up and did some research. And vdyno does prove to be pretty accurate.
My butt dyno definitely agrees with the numbers I've seen though.
I do want to get on a real dyno though some time soon so i can have the comparison and see how accurate it is with my car.

Vdyno is only as accurate as the correction factor you use. The only way to find out the proper CF for Vdyno is to compare it to a real dyno. Then you can use that CF for accurate future vdyno hp/tq reference. Untill you have the right CF your vdyno accuracy is suspect.

Also how are you even using Vdyno. Vdyno doesn't support the MZ3 platform. It's not one size fits all. Brad Barnhill tweaks the software for each model that vdno supports so it's accurate for that model. In other words you can't do a vdyno with an WRX on an STi vdyno and expect it to be accurate even if you tweak the CF.

Reactions: Crespo

·
Registered
5,636 Posts

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I wouldn't make vdynos a point of contention just yet. Sure they're not necessarily accurate but as long as the results are repeatable and precise, you can get an indication of real improvement.

Reactions: Rherold9

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Even if you post multiples of them all from your car, its still not scientifically sound, ie too many independent variables, unless they are all done in the exact same conditions(same stretch of road, weather conditions, etc). Not trying to burst anyone's bubble on these or come off as uptight, but there is a reason why two dynos of a car at even the same location but done on different days will yield different results. Just trying to be real.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yea, those things are ok for referencing changes amongts themselves, but I wouldn't take the number as what you are actually putting down. That being said, a real dyno I did on my car was close to what I measured with torque pro. I can assure you that my 155 rated motor with AWD (-15-25% off the bat) and auto is not making 155 hp lol. That being said, those look like some good numbers.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Also how are you even using Vdyno. Vdyno doesn't support the MZ3 platform. It's not one size fits all. Brad Barnhill tweaks the software for each model that vdno supports so it's accurate for that model. In other words you can't do a vdyno with an WRX on an STi vdyno and expect it to be accurate even if you tweak the CF.
There is an option to add a custom car and as long as you can find curb weight, drive ratios, other options it asks for about your car, you can add it into the program. (Found the option earlier but haven't messed with it.)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Crespo and warlord

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Yea, those things are ok for referencing changes amongts themselves, but I wouldn't take the number as what you are actually putting down. That being said, a real dyno I did on my car was close to what I measured with torque pro. I can assure you that my 155 rated motor with AWD (-15-25% off the bat) and auto is not making 155 hp lol. That being said, those look like some good numbers.
Even showing changes between files is kinda iffy still. Same thing applies whether its crank hp or whp.

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Obviously the numbers aren't accurate. Just using them to show the car has made some pretty solid gains.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
0-60 changes are an ok reference I've found as well. I can say that with my last file, on the same exact starting point on the same road I always use, my time went down lower than my stock or sri alone. that's compared to doing the same runs at different time sin the year (even in a low temp, low density altitude). The good thing is sri is being tuned in so it's not crapping my numbers anymore.. Once that is done I expect some good gains from the following files.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts