2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if you guys recommend getting a turbo timer for the Speed 3? Is it necessary for even the stock turbo? Since the factory didn't supply a turbo timer does it mean that its not necessary? If not, do you even recommend letting the vehicle idle a few minutes before turning it off? Will it make the turbo last longer?

Sorry just a newb to this type of system and would like to maintain it properly and would grately appreciate your comments/opinions :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
The manual actually recommends idling your car after driving for at least one minute to cool the turbo before shutting it off. I believe it said it should increase the life of the turbo, which is true, so maybe a turbo timer wouldn't be such a bad idea.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone put a turbo timer in yet? I have the tech package on my speed 3 so it has the push-button start so I don't know if it will work properly on those. I have not purchase one yet but I've been looking at the A'PEXi turbo timer instructions which was useless

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you have the advance push start system on your car? just wondering if it will work on these type of ignitions

ya looks like that HKS one has alot of features, thanks for the recommendation

·
Registered
17 Posts
are you talking to me? I don't have a push start system on my evo, but I believe the turbo timer shouldn't have any effect on the ignition.
i did once have a buddy club secu timer that had a security pass before i could turn the car on, which may have had some effect, but not this one.

turbo timers are especially useful at auto-x, i like to walk around but keep the car running etc, not necessarily with the keys in the car.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya I was talking to you, sry should of quoted ya. Ya just wondering about the wiring portion cuz I have the advanced key ignition where you can just leave your keys in your pocket. Don't know if wiring is the same and if it would affect that type of system.

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Any news whether you got a turbo timer or not... If not, why did you decide not to?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still havnt got a turbo timer yet...kinda waiting for someone with the advanced keyless entry and start system(tech package) to install it in theirs first. Im reading in another forum someone is in the process of getting a turbo timer and once I find out that it goes well, I'm getting one!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I still havnt got a turbo timer yet...kinda waiting for someone with the advanced keyless entry and start system(tech package) to install it in theirs first. Im reading in another forum someone is in the process of getting a turbo timer and once I find out that it goes well, I'm getting one!
any word on this yet?

I'm very curious...

·
1,091 Posts
I usually take it extremely easy the last 2-3 minutes before I'm about to park. No boost whatsoever, maintain low rpm; then when I'm parked, I take off my driving gloves, disconnect my iphone, put away my sunglasses, roll up my windows or turn off my headlights. And then I shut off my car.

If you need to leap out of your car after beating on it, a turbo timer could definitely be useful.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I usually take it extremely easy the last 2-3 minutes before I'm about to park. No boost whatsoever, maintain low rpm; then when I'm parked, I take off my driving gloves, disconnect my iphone, put away my sunglasses, roll up my windows or turn off my headlights. And then I shut off my car.

If you need to leap out of your car after beating on it, a turbo timer could definitely be useful.
I'm not really a morning person... usually running late to work. I think it is almost mandatory I get one haha ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks for that link, a lot of other fun stuff there too...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
any word on this yet?

I'm very curious...
im still waiting, so far someone has opened the steering column but found no ignition harness :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
True - if you drive your car easy on your final minute driving home you don't need a timer. Timers are actually more for show these days (though they do look great), no one really drives their car hard enough on the street to need one. At the most it's a peace of mind thing, but when I'm driving "normal" on the street with auto mode with the timer the car hardly ever needs to stay on. Even driving fairly spirited, from the time I enter my neighborhood to when I park my car in the garage is enough time to cool the car down

·
Registered
598 Posts
True - if you drive your car easy on your final minute driving home you don't need a timer. Timers are actually more for show these days (though they do look great), no one really drives their car hard enough on the street to need one. At the most it's a peace of mind thing, but when I'm driving "normal" on the street with auto mode with the timer the car hardly ever needs to stay on. Even driving fairly spirited, from the time I enter my neighborhood to when I park my car in the garage is enough time to cool the car down
Thanks for that.

I was definitely looking for peace of mind with the timer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts