2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have done a lot a research and I did look at the wheel and fitment thread, and I think I am just making this harder than it seems. Soo maybe someone can help simplify this for me.

I recently purchased some wheels for my 2014 s touring. They are 18x8s with a 45mm offset. I slapped them on the OEM dunlops ( 215/45-18 ) and I am not too happy with how they look, personally. They have the stretched tire look going on. Ok, so I was thinking about getting some different tires anyway and was wondering what would be a better fit, the 225/45-18 or the 235/45-18? I understand that both sizes have a range for the 8" width, but none of the 225s I come across have a rim measurement of 8". Is that because the 10mm difference in width comes up to about 1/2" increments? So would the 235s look better on the 18x8s as far as the lip not sticking out or the tire looking stretched?
And while I am pretty sure I know the answer, I just have to ask a silly question. Does anyone running 18x8s on 225/45 get any rubbing? The reason I ask is because I have a set of Blizzaks on the OEM wheels and a day or two before I mounted the summer set on, I could have sworn I heard rubbing while turning. I did get a deal on 225/45-18s which is what they are. I didn't investigate before swapping them out and now it's kind of driving me nuts wondering if I heard any rubbing. I know the tread is still new and pretty aggressive and I am 90% sure that there wasn't any ice/snow on the wheel wells at the time (it was warm enough to have melted).

Thanks again for help. I know it's simple and I'm just making a mess of it in my head. lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not much help for the question at hand, but just FYI, if you go up to 235 wide, get a 40 series tire. 235/40-18 is very similar to the OEM... 235/45-18 will be substantially taller (and affect clearance, gearing, and speedometer reading).

With 225, there isn't a match to oem. 40 is a bit smaller sidewall, 45 is a bit larger. Neither difference is significant.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was going to go 235/40/18 as it was the closest to oem and the speedo was only off by less than 1%, but I got a steal of a deal on a set of 225/45/18s at less than half price brand new, so I got those instead. A little taller but will still fit. I might roll the fenders just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to go for the 225/45 in the Continetals with the Eco plus. Anyone have experience with those? They seem to be getting spectacular reviews. I was going to ditch the Dunlops but now since switching to 18x8, they seem to be doing really good for some reason. Maybe the extra inch helped in some way, or they used to be waaay out of balance. Idk, I may have to stick with them until they're a little more worn out.. Weird.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Cool, thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to go for the 225/45 in the Continetals with the Eco plus. Anyone have experience with those? They seem to be getting spectacular reviews. I was going to ditch the Dunlops but now since switching to 18x8, they seem to be doing really good for some reason. Maybe the extra inch helped in some way, or they used to be waaay out of balance. Idk, I may have to stick with them until they're a little more worn out.. Weird.
They never come balanced well from the dealer. You go to a good tire shop that actually tunes the balancer and puts good people working on it your tires will be better. Also, the oem wheels have a habit of being bent from factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts