2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put new wheels on the 2021 turbo hatch. Always wanted some watanabe wheels off the old datsuns and Mazda’s.

These are a knock offf (enkei) but same style. They are 16x7 with a 215/60 tire.

Doesn’t fit the car entirely because the new Mazda is so classy, refined, and sleek: but it does pay homage to the past.

I think the distinction is cool. As for the ride - much improved.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

-JE

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I put new wheels on the 2021 turbo hatch. Always wanted some watanabe wheels off the old datsuns and Mazda’s.

These are a knock offf (enkei) but same style. They are 16x7 with a 215/60 tire.

Doesn’t fit the car entirely because the new Mazda is so classy, refined, and sleek: but it does pay homage to the past.

I think the distinction is cool. As for the ride - much improved.
View attachment 284183
View attachment 284184
View attachment 284185
View attachment 284186

-JE
Nice.....did something similar by Ronal sometime back.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice.....did something similar by Ronal sometime back.

Very cool indeed. I like how the wheel lips outside and inside are smooth on yours. I think that fits with the car better.

I think I’m going to get mine colored - there is a shop here in Dallas who can make them any color in any gloss level you want for 600 bucks!!!

I think a gloss black would look Killer. Enkei only offered gunmetal and white.

-JE

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Very cool indeed. I like how the wheel lips outside and inside are smooth on yours. I think that fits with the car better.

I think I’m going to get mine colored - there is a shop here in Dallas who can make them any color in any gloss level you want for 600 bucks!!!

I think a gloss black would look Killer. Enkei only offered gunmetal and white.

-JE
Can never go wrong w/ gloss black. I refinished those in TE37 satin bronze which will go better w/ titanium.....currently kept in the parts bin.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can imagine the ride is much improved -- did it have much of an impact on steering and handling?
I have not pushed the car at all yet. In terms of relaxed daily driving I don’t notice much of a difference.

I will report back after a week.

One thing I’m not sure of is what tire pressures to run. OE tires 89V recommend 38F and 36R and these new tires are 94H. I’m running 38F and 36R but will need to play with it to get it dialed in.

Any suggestions?

-JE

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I have not pushed the car at all yet. In terms of relaxed daily driving I don’t notice much of a difference.

I will report back after a week.

One thing I’m not sure of is what tire pressures to run. OE tires 89V recommend 38F and 36R and these new tires are 94H. I’m running 38F and 36R but will need to play with it to get it dialed in.

Any suggestions?

-JE
Expect comfier once you bring those pressures down a bit. They are listed for better fuel mileage. I just do around 33. Kinder on suspension, too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Expect comfier once you bring those pressures down a bit. They are listed for better fuel mileage. I just do around 33. Kinder on suspension, too.

Yea the ride is comfier i just haven’t pushed it yet to know enough about the steering and handling. You think 33 on all 4 corners is ok?

I’m not sure what oresssures to run because these are 94H speed rates tires and how that effects tire pressures.

Thank you for helping me.

-JE

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Yea the ride is comfier i just haven’t pushed it yet to know enough about the steering and handling. You think 33 on all 4 corners is ok?

I’m not sure what oresssures to run because these are 94H speed rates tires and how that effects tire pressures.

-JE
Different manufacturers/models (vehicle & tire) have varied pressure recommendations. Usage, grip, fuel economy, comfort, wear are functions of pressure.
Below is a sample of what BMW lists for 1 of their performance-geared models w/ much lower aspect ratios of 30-40.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Different manufacturers/models (vehicle & tire) have varied pressure recommendations. Usage, grip, fuel economy, comfort, wear are functions of pressure.
Below is a sample of what BMW lists for 1 of their performance-geared models w/ much lower aspect ratios of 30-40.

I went through the owners manual and placard on door jam. All i can find recommended is 38F/36R ON THE 89v tires.

Not sure what i should do since I’m using tires that are 94H. I’ll play with it and adjust week by week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^They look right good on there. I may have to think about that for mine. Thanks for sharing the pics. I wish I could help on the tire pressures, but I don't know yet.
Thanks. The matte finish doesn’t look great on em in person w this paint. The paint has such a high gloss and wet look and the lack of sheen on wheels is too much of an opposition in a bad way IMO.

I’m taking them to a place next Wednesday and they are going to do a high gloss black finish on all 4 wheels. I think it will look much better after that.

-JE

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts

-JE
The weight of the car is the biggest factor here. Speed rating doesn't really come in to play. Load index - 94 vs 89 - is what you need to look at. A tire with a higher load index (94) will have stiffer sidewall construction, so the weight of the car might not produce the same size contact patch using Mazdas recommended inflation pressures as a tire the same size with an 89 load rating, and it will ride harder. You'll probably need to drop the pressure a few psi or so to get the tires sorted, but you'd also need to research minimum inflation pressures for that tire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The weight of the car is the biggest factor here. Speed rating doesn't really come in to play. Load index - 94 vs 89 - is what you need to look at. A tire with a higher load index (94) will have stiffer sidewall construction, so the weight of the car might not produce the same size contact patch using Mazdas recommended inflation pressures as a tire the same size with an 89 load rating, and it will ride harder. You'll probably need to drop the pressure a few psi or so to get the tires sorted, but you'd also need to research minimum inflation pressures for that tire.
Thank you so much for chiming in. I was hoping you would. I appreciate the feedback.

I started with 38/36 and drove w it for two days. I then adjusted to 33 on all corners. 33 is well above the minimum range.

However - the car felt funny after that. Hard to describe how. Think about going from an h rated to a v rated tire.

I found a bunch of articles of the weekend trying to figure out the trade off from a decrease in V to H speed rated tire BUT an increase in load ratings.

There wasn’t much helping me so that was kind of a bummer.

-JE

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts
Again, its not the speed rating, its the load rating. Stick to the manufacturers recommendation. Going from 89 to 94 is a big jump and the tires probably will feel squishy when you adjust them to have decent ride. You should also stay with a speed rating that is a close to what the OEM tires are. H is 130 mph, and your car is in theory capable of exceeding that. Your car came with V rated tires (149) mph. You should not go any lower than that. If you want better tires, there are plenty of options that are in the same spec range as the OEM tires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again, its not the speed rating, its the load rating. Stick to the manufacturers recommendation. Going from 89 to 94 is a big jump and the tires probably will feel squishy when you adjust them to have decent ride. You should also stay with a speed rating that is a close to what the OEM tires are. H is 130 mph, and your car is in theory capable of exceeding that. Your car came with V rated tires (149) mph. You should not go any lower than that. If you want better tires, there are plenty of options that are in the same spec range as the OEM tires.
You’re saying not go any lower than V? Correct? H is only one letter from V in terms of speed ratings.

I’ve read many places people have swapped them and had no problems. Irrelevant for me though as I tend to be a worrier.

Found a chart that does conversions and it says I should run 30psi with the new 215/60/16 tires.

I may stick with same size tire and get a V rated instead of the H RATED i have now. Then, adjust pressures as recommended by the chart I just shared with you.

-JE

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
This is useful knowledge, thank you. I went from an 89V (OEM - 1279 lbs) to 95Y (1521 lbs). Sounds like you're suggesting running something like 36/34 might be closer to the factory spec of 38/36 due to the different load rating and higher sidewall stiffness of the Contis?

I had not thought of this but will certainly try if that sounds right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts