2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Title kind of says it all, but if you look straight back through the snorkel opening, there is a felt-like filter thing. It is pretty dense but you can blow air through it.

Because of its position (directly behind) it made me wonder if it was some sort of pressure relief for the forced incoming air or something.

I seriously doubt it is for input air because it is so dense....that is why I'm wondering if it is more of an outlet of sorts...or maybe a baffle to quiet down the incoming air before it turns down?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured it was to provide a second passage for the intake in case the front is blocked.

With just a restriction, I just can't believe the engine could run off the air flow. Or maybe that is the point... if the front gets clogged, just prevent the snow from being sucked in and starve the engine for air so it will stall "naturally".

Odd with the placement thought. After all... if the snorkel gets plugged, so would that filter since it is right behind don't you think?

·
Registered
156 Posts
You're talking about the charcoal filter on the back of the stock airbox? It has to do with the the cars emissions, it helps absorbs fuel vapors that are present in the intake after the vehicle shuts off if i recall correctly

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You're talking about the charcoal filter on the back of the stock air box? It has to do with the the cars emissions, it helps absorbs fuel vapors that are present in the intake after the vehicle shuts off if i recall correctly
No..that one is exactly as you said...it is part of the PZEV package. I'm talking about the little scoop at the front on the car just under the hood.... either shine a light into that scoop and look straight back, or pop your hood and look at the top backside of the snorkel (no need to take anything apart)

Trying to think of a way to test...maybe hold some tissue on it with someone revving the car and see if there is enough of a load to blow out out our stuck it in.

I just envision that going down the road at freeway speeds would cause wind to blow through.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts