2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 questions for you all today in one post so as to conserve front page space. I'm going to separate them into two parts to help keep them organized. So today I was doing an oil change due to something that ruined my piece of mind:

1. Yesterday, I bought a liter of Marvel's Mystery Oil (Seafoam-type oil if you aren't aware) to help keep sludge out of my engine. I put .5 liters in the crankcase and the other half in my fuel tank. I checked the dipstick after and noticed it was a good eighth of an inch above the full mark. When I had my oil changed last time, the shop added oil according to the full capacity which was 4.2 liters with a filter change (according to Mazda). With this extra mystery oil, I believe it was somewhere along the lines of 4.7 liters most likely. I drove it above 3-5 miles home and only moved my car this morning to change my oil myself to correct the over-capacity oil. My question is, will running a half quart over specified limits damage the engine at all if only driven for >10 miles?

2. My second question is a "water leak". Under my car, right behind the passenger side wheel-well, there was a good-sized puddle formed of water. I dipped my fingers in it and it was definitely water. There was no oily feeling at all. I am almost positive that it's condensation from the AC but I haven't noticed this before today. Does anyone feel like verifying to see if their 2014 also has this puddle that forms around that area?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you drive sedately under 3500 rpm you should be fine. If you run Pennzoil Platinum the additives in the oil will loosen and clean the engine and prevent sludge. This will eliminate the need for Marvel Mystery oil.

When running the AC turning it off a few minutes before arriving at your destination may help with the puddles of water under the car and prevent the interior ac coil from developing mold. I.E. Stinky vent air.

·
Registered
353 Posts
No problems on either one. However, I'd switch to Mobil 1 or other synthetic and stop the use of Marvel. Water puddle is most likely AC condensate. Geeboss is right. His idea will also conserve on fuel.

Ralph

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently use Castrol but I would be willing to look into other options if they work better. And I thought that the water was A/C condensate. Thanks for the confirmation guys! Unfortunately it's 100+ in AZ where I live so turning off the A/C even a few minutes before reaching a destination sucks. Thank you for the help though!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd be more worried about adding the mystery oil to the engine than being slightly overfilled... But that's just my opinion.

I personally use Amsoil, Pennzoil Platinum, and/or Mazda OEM Idemitsu Engine Oil with Moly on my cars.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I'd be more worried about adding the mystery oil to the engine than being slightly overfilled... But that's just my opinion
I'm with you on that one. I don't use any additives with my cars. I have always kept my vehicles in good repair, no problems.

Here's my problem with additives like this:
- no hard evidence that it works. Testimonials and anecdotal evidence are not evidence in any way. Any proper study will be funded by the company that makes the stuff.

- no evidence that it doesn't cause issues with your oil or other parts. Lucas has been shown to effect the additive in oil that keeps air out in a bad way. Air doesn't lubricate so well.

- no real reason for this stuff. Buy good oil and good fuel. Has everything your car needs in it already.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ask any experienced Engine Engineer about oil additives, especially ones designed to help clean your engine. Don't use them. They are more likely to screw-up the delicate chemistry balance of your modern engine oil than to provide any benefit. If you want to avoid sludging up your engine change your oil and filter per the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual and avoid extensive idling and short trips.

Dave

·
Registered
143 Posts
2. My second question is a "water leak". Under my car, right behind the passenger side wheel-well, there was a good-sized puddle formed of water. I dipped my fingers in it and it was definitely water. There was no oily feeling at all. I am almost positive that it's condensation from the AC but I haven't noticed this before today. Does anyone feel like verifying to see if their 2014 also has this puddle that forms around that area?
A lot of variables effect how much AC water drip you'll see at any given time. A dry day vs a humid day could make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A lot of variables effect how much AC water drip you'll see at any given time. A dry day vs a humid day could make a noticeable difference.
Yeah, the day before was a rainy day if I remember right and the next day was a typical hot Arizona sun that pulled all of the moisture right out of the ground.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I live in a humid climate and can guarantee that the air conditioner will leave a pool of water under my car at every stop here.

Regarding the use of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase, this is an additive that probably goes back to the 30s or 40s when cars may have been able to benefit from a good crankcase scrubbing. Modern oils, especially the advanced types called for by Mazda, certainly do not need the help. If anything, such an additive would hinder the good properties of modern engine oils that are carefully formulated to satisfy the needs of modern engines.

Besides, I can't get past the "Marvel Mystery Oil" name. It sounds like something from a carnival barker's script enticing the gawkers to come take a look at the freak just inside the tent.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, you are right about the humidity. I haven't seen any more puddles gather since the Arizona sun has finished baking the ground and air back to its regular 0% humidity. Thanks for the help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts