2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post has probably been done to death, but I've got a 2015 mazda 3 2.2 skyactiv-d.

On Saturday afternoon the oil light came on and a warning about low oil pressure, checked the oil dip stick and it was raised and near the x. No worries I thought, I've known about this possibly happening since I bought the car.

I bought a new oil filter and oil for the car and changed them on that day. But the warning light stayed on.

So today I got the car onto a diagnostics computer and the garage reckons it was a service light and deleted the fault, it stayed off for 5 minutes or so and I took it back and he deleted them all off again. No problems for the rest of the afternoon. Happy days

Que driving home from work this evening, done about 20 miles since reset and the oil light has came back on and the same error in the infotainment unit. I checked the oil levels and they're sitting pretty on max.

What else can I do with the car? The oil is the correct grade and the right amount and the garage is adament its just a service light basically.

Also. I'm new to the forum, so hi everyone.

·
Super Moderator
5,949 Posts
The light does not just come on without a reason.
Have the sensor checked.
Have someone check the actual oil pressure with a real gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking into it a little bit. Eurocarparts has spld me a filter that isn't for my type of mazda 3? Its for older models and possibly not even diesels.

How much damage can this cause

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
So by your first post,I'm a little confused. Was this the low oil pressure warning or service reminder light? You did see the light after all.

If you're not sure maybe it's time to read the owners manual.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the attached images...there isn't any useful information there.

I can say that using the wrong oil filter can cause problems. Different filters have different flow characteristics.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I would never buy a third party oil filter since the OEM filter is quite cheap. You are risking engine damage by fitting the wrong filter or a poorly designed filter with incorrect flow rate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was the oil light on the dashboard on, the garage put the comp on and it said oil degredation even though its new oil.

The pictures is showing the oil filter is for different cars so I've gone out and got an official mazda filter seeing as none seem to meet mazda oem spec and a thread on the forum states its gotta be oem spec and they only fit the skyactiv engines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an old post I know, but as an owner of a mazda 3 for 10 years my 2.2 has had this a couple times and this issue is now well documented for 2.2 owners it's a cracking engine but has one major flaw, it should of been a mazda recall!, both times it was a blocked oil pick up, caused by leaking injector seals, hot combustion gasses slip past the seals and cook the oil to a point it carbonised the oil to bits these make there way down to the sump and get picked up by the oil pick up, when I did mine first I put new seals in and thought that was the end of it but 6 months later same again, so this time I took the injectors out, cam cover off and reemed the injector seats as I could see they were uneven, news seals and 9 years on the pick up has remained clear I do drop the sump every 3 services to check, I also have an oil pressure gauge fitted now so I can see if any problems come up before it wipes out my engine, both times it happened I was flipping lucky to be only idling in traffic.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Gmlive, thanks for the info on the 2.2L.

However, I haven't heard of such a thing with the newer SkyActiv engines; at least, I have not heard of any.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found this post and need some advice regarding a similar issue. My oil light came on in my 2014 2.2d and oil and filter change was done. Garage told me to drive like a diesel because of the DPF as said fuel in the oil. Anyway 2 week later and day after giving it a good run with revs around 3k the dreaded oil light was back on. Today the garage have hooked up to their diagnostic computer and no errors, they check oil pressure and happy with this. I now have the car back but they've turned off or reset the service function so light is off but I am just now a paranoid wreck that there is more to this. Some advice seriously welcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts