2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm new to the mazda 3 community, so please take it easy on me! Anyway, I did an oil change on my 2012 Mazda 3 2.5L and I guess the parts store gave me the wrong oil filter (shorter than previous filter), but it fit and tightened up so I didn't think anything of it. I drove for less than 2 minutes and parked (to go eat). After that, I drove for 5 minutes to my friends house. Nothing unusual about the car. Left my friend's house after about an hour and 2 minutes later, engine dies. I'm thinking I just stalled so I start the car up again, no unusual warning lights on my dash and 30 seconds later, the car dies. I try to start the car back up, nothing. I check under (after seeing oil on my bumper) and the oil filter is gone. So I'm thinking the engine is seized. I try to unseize it by putting oil in and a little bit of penetrating oil as well. Let it sit for a few hours and tried to manually turn the crankshaft. No movement. My friend suggests checking the electricals first. I check the spark plugs if there's a spark, nothing. Switched the spark plugs with ones from another mazda 3, nothing. Switched the ignition coils with ones from another mazda 3, nothing. Any suggestions as to what I should look into?
Also, do these cars have a distributor? I wanted to check that next, but couldn't find it. Also can't find it online. Thanks in advance!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts