2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I did my 4th oil change.

I noticed some oil on the access panel and the underside of the car.
when I removed the access panel, I saw the drain plug was 1/3 out! :surprise:

after I drained the oil, the container said 3 1/2 quarts.
I leaked a quart.

no idea what I did wrong. :confused1 1:
all my other oil changes didn't have a problem.

also, when does the low oil light come on?

·
Registered
290 Posts
make sure you are changing the oil drain plug washer every time you do an oil change
Some people use the same washer but I highly advise against it, the washers are cheap - there should be no reason why you shouldn't change them
I bought these on Amazon, they are an exact match to the OEM washer
I got the 10 pack @ $8, that comes down to about .80 cents a washer and about .60 cents if you get the 20-pack but I'm sure you could find some cheaper elsewhere
I only got them because they were prime eligible and got them at my door in 2 days haha https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS9ELDA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also make sure the old washer isn't stuck to the oil pan, that way you don't stack 2 on top of each other and cause a bad seal

I used a torque wrench and tightened my plug down to 30ft lbs, I think the recommended factory spec is 28ft lbs

not sure when the low oil light comes on

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I think it's torque wrench time.

Some debris on the threads might have made the plug feel tight when it wasn't or some other similar foolery.

Take a good look at everything like the plug screw threads before reassembly. I wipe it down regardless and always leave it on a clean surface like a rag.

Get the plug snug (but not tight) by hand, see it's fully seated. After that use the torque wrench.

As mentioned, yes a new gasket is a good idea. Keep that clean too.

·
Registered
334 Posts
8K (thousand) miles between oil changes? That is way past the recommended interval. I am hoping you mean 8K km's.
I'm changing every 7500 miles with synthetic. I would only change mine sooner if I was doing mainly city driving, or in dusty conditions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts