2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked the oil this weekend and found it down about a bit more than a 1/3 of a quart. I only have 700 miles on the car. Called dealer service, manager said it was normal during the first couple of changes. He said using a quart in 1200 miles is within factory specs. This is BS in my book. I've had Toyota's for years and never had this issue. I buy new cars so I don't have to worry about things like that.
In reading posts on the forums, it's seems some people have this issue others don't.
I'm trying to get a handle on how big of an issue this on these cars.
The idea that I need to carry a quart of oil with me is unacceptable. I haven't had to do that since I owned older beater cars. Any input is appreciated.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
mazda999,

Oil usage during the first few hundred miles is greater than any point except and if, when down the road you have an engine problem.

Why the singificant initial oil use? Because that is when the oil rings are seating against the inside of the piston walls. I would just monitor the next 500 miles and confirm your usage rate is remaining the same, or slowing down.

BTW, the standard across all brands is that using one quart of oil per 1,200 miles is an acceptable rate; and engine break-in actually progressively occurs to at least 5,000 miles.

Another possibility that can only be eliminated is if you checked your oil level when you first got your car and that it was properly filled when new -- for if that was not done, it is possible that it was slightly short filled at the factory.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The poster above me is correct about 1200 miles/qt. It sounds crazy but thats the baseline, probably a vestige of when engines did consume more oil. Subaru just went through a class action lawsuit over this on the n/a 4 cylinder engine.

This is the first post ive seen about oil consumption on the gen 3 mazda....which is pretty amazing really. I hope its just break in consumption. Mine has not shown any measurable consumption in 12k miles. Good luck with the dealer and if necessary down the line with mazda.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I checked the oil with 200 miles on the odometer 17 GT, it was under filled by about 1/4 quart, topped it up to full and 400 miles later, it hasn't moved.

·
*The Electrician*
922 Posts
this reminds me i really need to check my oil, approaching 2000km and haven't touched the dipstick yet, bad Midnightsky, bad

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Please let us know what you found when you checked it. And you are not the first one to get "lulled" with new engines, for many plain do not burn any oil (other than less than one quart at the next scheduled oil change). I am the oldest one of this forum (I think we figured out), and decades ago, we used to add a couple of quarts, sometimes twice that, routinely between 3,000 scheduled oil changes, and we were in the habit of checking the dipstick, depending on the vehicle and its usage, every time we added gas, or every other time we fueled up --and we needed to do that.

New engines are much better, though @ElNino77 is so right about some Subie motors burning a good amount of oil. However, luckily, my '17 WRX only goes through about 1/4 of a quart every 5,000 miles (when I get its oil and filter changed), and I have similarly never added, nor needed to, any oil to my 2015 Z06 (other than its scheduled oil changes), nor did we ever add oil to our 2012 Cruze (which the Mazda 3 replaced).

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
The dealer always fills mine so far above fill line that it makes me nervous. I'm always hoping a little gets burned so it goes down but it never does :(

·
*The Electrician*
922 Posts
so mine is down about half the dipstick, so approx 1/2L down but I have been doing more idling than I should be and Ive been wide open throttle more than most would. Just about to reach 2000km(1977km currently) and I never checked the oil upon delivery so it might have been down a tad already. Oil is very clean tho, lol hard to see on the dipstick compared to my previous black oil burning accord.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just did my 3rd oil change on my 3 @ 15K miles, oil was still well within the full range, perhaps lower than when i filled it but can't say for sure - as long as the car can go 5K miles on 0w-20 without needing a top off, i'll remain happy with it (barring smoke, leaks, etc, of course).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Please let us know what you found when you checked it. And you are not the first one to get "lulled" with new engines, for many plain do not burn any oil (other than less than one quart at the next scheduled oil change). I am the oldest one of this forum (I think we figured out), and decades ago, we used to add a couple of quarts, sometimes twice that, routinely between 3,000 scheduled oil changes, and we were in the habit of checking the dipstick, depending on the vehicle and its usage, every time we added gas, or every other time we fueled up --and we needed to do that.

New engines are much better, though @ElNino77 is so right about some Subie motors burning a good amount of oil. However, luckily, my '17 WRX only goes through about 1/4 of a quart every 5,000 miles (when I get its oil and filter changed), and I have similarly never added, nor needed to, any oil to my 2015 Z06 (other than its scheduled oil changes), nor did we ever add oil to our 2012 Cruze (which the Mazda 3 replaced).
Some of us are older for sure! My Mazda6 has burned 1 quart over about 8000 miles and one oil change since new. Coming from the Honda K24 & J30s, this is excessive! However, I always carry a quart of the same oil used by my dealer who provides free oil changes for life which happens to be Quaker State Ultimate durability 0W-20 and being old school like Road Trip check it on a regular basis.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
114 Posts
The dealer always fills mine so far above fill line that it makes me nervous. I'm always hoping a little gets burned so it goes down but it never does :(
That should make you nervous because it can cause foaming of the oil if the crankshaft is hitting the oil in the sump. Foaming leads to air bubbles getting into the oil system and air isn't as good a lubricant as oil!

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
164 Posts
The people with new cars that are seeing some oil consumption, are your cars auto's or sticks? Stick cars tend to use more oil, because there is more vacuum in the pvc system between shifts.

·
*The Electrician*
922 Posts
The people with new cars that are seeing some oil consumption, are your cars auto's or sticks? Stick cars tend to use more oil, because there is more vacuum in the pvc system between shifts.
My car is stick, was down about half the dipstick so approx 1/2L but I went to dealership service department and they topped it up for free. The advisor claims it is abnormal to use a 1/2L in 2300km and to keep an eye on it. Was told if it persists they would investigate further but I drive my cars pretty hard so Im leaning towards this will be normal for my use. Still might upgrade to Motul oil at 5000km.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Some of us are older for sure! My Mazda6 has burned 1 quart over about 8000 miles and one oil change since new. Coming from the Honda K24 & J30s, this is excessive! However, I always carry a quart of the same oil used by my dealer who provides free oil changes for life which happens to be Quaker State Ultimate durability 0W-20 and being old school like Road Trip check it on a regular basis.
2016 Mazda6 stick!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
i got a 2017 mazda 3 hatch with a 2.0 and auto tranny.

i got about 4,000 miles on it and my oil level shows a little bit below the top hole

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just did my 3rd oil change on my 3 @ 15K miles, oil was still well within the full range, perhaps lower than when i filled it but can't say for sure - as long as the car can go 5K miles on 0w-20 without needing a top off, i'll remain happy with it (barring smoke, leaks, etc, of course).
I have had similar results. 2005 Mazda3 manual 3 oil changes at 15K on the odo. Granted, I shift higher rev than the car asks for.
But I have *never* had a car burn any oil between changes except this one. (even 2005 mazda 6i manual never burnt oil) Ballpark - 3K and down a quart. I see that's within the reported baseline, but that seems crazy to me. It makes me nervous.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have had similar results. 2005 Mazda3 manual 3 oil changes at 15K on the odo. Granted, I shift higher rev than the car asks for.
But I have *never* had a car burn any oil between changes except this one. (even 2005 mazda 6i manual never burnt oil) Ballpark - 3K and down a quart. I see that's within the reported baseline, but that seems crazy to me. It makes me nervous.
Yeah I agree i would not be happy with that at all on a 15k miles car, would want answers. My subie at 200k, no problem, top it off, but any newer car (barring rx-8 ) you should not have to worry about being a quart down between oil changes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just passed 2000 miles on my 17 3 Hatchback manual and the oil is at the "full" mark on the dipstick. I didn't drive it like a rental car for the first 1000 miles, but have yet needed to hit redline. I'll probably be changing it out at 5000 miles. It's only an oil change, but I haven't let anyone change the oil in my cars for the past 30 years and not going to start.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I just passed 2000 miles on my 17 3 Hatchback manual and the oil is at the "full" mark on the dipstick. I didn't drive it like a rental car for the first 1000 miles, but have yet needed to hit redline. I'll probably be changing it out at 5000 miles. It's only an oil change, but I haven't let anyone change the oil in my cars for the past 30 years and not going to start.
I'm the same way. I have a hard time trusting a high school kid that's being pushed to get it done as fast as possible. If I do it myself, I can ensure the job is done right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts