2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Never had to add any oil to my turbo 3 as well never changes.. I have over 30,000km on mine.

Never had to add any oil to my turbo 3 as well never changes.. I have over 30,000km on mine. see's redline every drive.
It's this group off VINs. Mine doesn't burn any either and it is part of the VIN group. But it probably will sooner or later. The valve stem seals are faulty.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
52 Posts
I had the dealer document it and will see what happens. As I posted further back, my 05 RSX S used 2-3 Qt per 7500miles. Normal by Honda Corp. specs.
I'll top it off as it get to 1/2 way on the stick. I hadn't been checking it, as the dealer told me these engines don't consume oil. That was my 1st mistake, trusting the Srvc. MGR when his lips were moving. 🥴

· Registered
144 Posts
Yes I know this thread hasn’t been responded to in a while but it’s for logging any information for a future owner correct?
My car recently give the low oil warning although the oil level is only about 1/8 inch (approximately 3 mm) from the full hole on the dipstick, so it’s well within the operating rage, the mileage is presently 27,739 and I do 5,000 oil changes and 25,000ish was the last oil change.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I've recently been made aware of an oil consumption issue with 2021 Mazda3 turbos. I've been suspicious ever since I bought it last year and I noticed black soot along the edge of the exhaust and wondering if she was burning a bit. Doesn't seem too bad at least, she runs good and strong and averaging 30.6 per gallon to boot! Anyhow, I do have a question.....if I need to add oil at any point, what brand of synthetic mixes well with the Mazda factory oil? Was worried I'd screw the car up if I picked the wrong brand. Thank you

· Registered
271 Posts
as noted in the recent Oct TSB above, there is a major change in the vehicles affected - more vehicles added (inc some 22s) and VIN range change for vehicles on the earlier TSB list. Example, it looks like all Canadian AEs over all models have been removed.

· Registered
2021 Mazda3 GT Sport 2.5T w/ PP
297 Posts
I had this problem just once in July of 2021 and never since (3 oil changes later). My VIN falls in the range, but it seems the TSB does not apply if symptoms of the issue are not present. Did I read that right?

· Registered
271 Posts
I had this problem just once in July of 2021 and never since (3 oil changes later). My VIN falls in the range, but it seems the TSB does not apply if symptoms of the issue are not present. Did I read that right?
That would be my understanding; typically when they list a VIN range, it doesn't necessarily follow that all vehicles in that range have the issue. However, since you had the problem once, do keep an eye on the oil level before taking it in for each service; just in case.

BTW, is yours a 100AE? I thought they were all built before Oct 20. What was your build month? With one end date of Sep 21 for the Japan 3 VIN range, it sounds like all MY21 3T's built in Japan after mid Oct 20 and all MY21 and 22 3T's built in Mexico after Dec 20 have this potential issue,

· Registered
2021 Mazda3 GT Sport 2.5T w/ PP
297 Posts
That would be my understanding; typically when they list a VIN range, it doesn't necessarily follow that all vehicles in that range have the issue. However, since you had the problem once, do keep an eye on the oil level before taking it in for each service; just in case.

BTW, is yours a 100AE? I thought they were all built before Oct 20. What was your build month? With one end date of Sep 21 for the Japan 3 VIN range, it sounds like all MY21 3T's built in Japan after mid Oct 20 and all MY21 and 22 3T's built in Mexico after Dec 20 have this potential issue,
No, regular 2021 2.5T model, not AE100. Purchased Feb '21. I haven't checked the oil level between changes, admittedly, but I haven't gotten the low oil light since June '21.

· Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2022 Japan build with a 11/21 build date but I also showed low oil, and oil was below the dipstick. Added 1.5 quarts to get it to mid level. Anyone else with a 2022 Japan built Mazda 3 Turbo have this issue? My exhaust tips are covered in black soot too... 12k miles on it currently. 2nd owner, owned it since July. I wonder if this TSB will expand to 2022 Japan built models at some point too...

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2022 Japan build with a 11/21 build date but I also showed low oil, and oil was below the dipstick. Added 1.5 quarts to get it to mid level. Anyone else with a 2022 Japan built Mazda 3 Turbo have this issue? My exhaust tips are covered in black soot too... 12k miles on it currently. 2nd owner, owned it since July. I wonder if this TSB will expand to 2022 Japan built models at some point too...
I've got a 22 Turbo with about 7200 miles. Was halfway down on the dipstick, drove 600 miles and the low level light came on.

I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. Have been lazy to see if the TSB applies, but I want to get it on record or fixed, either way.

· Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 22 Turbo with about 7200 miles. Was halfway down on the dipstick, drove 600 miles and the low level light came on.

I'm taking it in to the dealer tomorrow. Have been lazy to see if the TSB applies, but I want to get it on record or fixed, either way.
Is yours built in Japan? And if so what’s the build date? I assume yours isn’t listed on this TSB either. I really wonder if this TSB will be expanded.

But anyways I would much rather they just did a recall and provided a fix to all of the vehicles because if this is due to truly faulty valve seals then this issue might come to bite everyone later, even for those that currently do not have this issue, and as TSBs are so limited many people will be left out to dry. I really hope they will take this seriously and provide the necessary fixes for everyone.

· Registered
271 Posts
given that the MY22 2.5T built in Mexico has the issue, it would seem reasonable to assume that all 22 turbos would be built with the same exhaust valve seals. But with parts shortages recently, perhaps less consistency?

· Registered
4 Posts
Here is an update re the new tsb .

So put in a call to my local dealer, no call back, but they’re busy, and having met them, I can handle that.
Spoke to a couple of people at Mazda USA customer relations (5500 number in Florida) .Again nice people, but knew nothing about the tsb, so I forwarded the whole thing. The agent put me on hold to speak to a supervisor presumably. She came back and told me I had no business being on possession of the document and that it was only for the eyes of Mazda USA and their dealers. She was much nicer than that sounds and was only repeating what she had been told.

I now have a case number assigned and expect (maybe) a call back in a day or two. I asked her to alert whoever calls me back that I won’t be expecting a lecture.

My m.o. here is not to demand an instant fix, after all who wants to be the canary in the coal mine here, I’d rather the techs warm up on someone’s else’s vehicle. I simply want to understand what the process is. Sit tight and wait ? Keep calling the dealer ? Is all I want to know.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts