2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2021 Turbo 3 with about 4500 mis. Have been checking oil level on regular basis and getting close to the first oil change. Driving at moderate pace usually and the Low Oil warning comes on. Get home and check oil and its down about a qt. Is this normal oil consumption? This is my 4th Mazda 3 and have not had any oil consumption issues. Taking it in for a 5000 mi change and go over. Not sure if this is just break-in issue or something else.

· Registered
400 Posts
Does the 2.5t have oil consumption problems on the other models also? I didn't know the 2.5t even had consumption issues
Its not a common issue with this engine. 1st time I have seen someone post about oil consumption... My 2.5T and many others do not have oil consumption that is noticeable between oil changes. Most of them seeing redline everyday as well.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
Its not a common issue with this engine. 1st time I have seen someone post about oil consumption... My 2.5T and many others do not have oil consumption that is noticeable between oil changes. Most of them seeing redline everyday as well.
Dunno about that last part, but I may need to experiment with manual mode some more. I'm already averaging just over 20 MPG or so as it is...

· Registered
1,594 Posts
2.5T here with first Oil Level Low warning. Added a quart of different synthetic while on a trip to the beach. I'm close to 5000 miles since last change. Had to mix Mobile 1 with the Liqui Molly, so oil change this week. What's the Turbo viscosity again? I have 0W20 in there now, but figured that might be better in the hot NC summer.

Anyone have a performance oil brand or viscosity suggestion for hot climates?

· Registered
1,594 Posts
I think US is 0W20? It says 5W30 under 2.5T hood, so I guess you're right.

Engine oil specification

Item​
U.S.A. and CANADA​
Except U.S.A. and CANADA​
Engine oil grade​
ILSAC GF-V or higher​
API SM or higher, or ILSAC GF-IV or higher (Mexico)​
Engine oil viscosity​
0W-20​
SAE 5W-30 (If SAE 5W-30 engine oil is not available, use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.)​

· Registered
400 Posts
2.5T here with first Oil Level Low warning. Added a quart of different synthetic while on a trip to the beach. I'm close to 5000 miles since last change. Had to mix Mobile 1 with the Liqui Molly, so oil change this week. What's the Turbo viscosity again? I have 0W20 in there now, but figured that might be better in the hot NC summer.

Anyone have a performance oil brand or viscosity suggestion for hot climates?
if your running 0w-20 the oil is too thin and most likely why your seeing the oil level warning, the oil pressure is too low and oil consumption up from the oil thinning out.... Since the car is turbocharged it needs to run the *w-30 weight oil.. the 30 weight is very important for the turbocharger and engine design with the amount of heat output from the turbo when at any boost level and the oil is at temp..... 20 is too thin.. If you want the cold 0w rating use 0w-30

I also had a friend with the turbo 3 get the same message "Oil level Low" his oil was at the correct level.. What happened was his Mazda dealer put 0w-20 in by mistake two days before when he had his 1st oil change he noticed on his bill.. So he went back they changed to 5w-30 for free.. no more Oil Level errors as well. Thankfully I do my own oil changes.

But good to know the ECU picks this up early. :)

Pic from 2021 Turbo 3 Canada/USA manual below.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Slope

· Registered
1,594 Posts
if your running 0w-20 the oil is too thin and most likely why your seeing the oil level warning, the oil pressure is too low and oil consumption up from the oil thinning out.... Since the car is turbocharged it needs to run the *w-30 weight oil.. the 30 weight is very important for the turbocharger and engine design with the amount of heat output from the turbo when at any boost level and the oil is at temp..... 20 is too thin.. If you want the cold 0w rating use 0w-30

I also had a friend with the turbo 3 get the same message "Oil level Low" his oil was at the correct level.. What happened was his Mazda dealer put 0w-20 in by mistake two days before when he had his 1st oil change he noticed on his bill.. So he went back they changed to 5w-30 for free.. no more Oil Level errors as well. Thankfully I do my own oil changes.

But good to know the ECU picks this up early. :)

Pic from 2021 Turbo 3 Canada/USA manual below.

View attachment 283974
This is perfect, thank you so much! Will upgrade to 5W30 this week.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
I am running 5W-30 mobil1 and at 3600 miles since last change - no noticeable drop in level
Just changed over today, so we'll see if it comes up again before my next change, but I suspect @Tric is correct that you don't want to question that particular requirement of using 5W-30 on the Turbo to avoid that error message and having to add a quart of oil.

· Registered
90 Posts
Mazda did something with their system with the 2021 model. I have had two Mazda CX-9's with the 2.5T. A 2018 and now a 2021. I do generally check oil levels just because. The 2018 would always get to a level between the two dots - but slightly on the lower end at close to 4K miles. Nothing would change and an oil change at 5K would not reveal anything different. With the 2021, I have noticed that when the exact same thing happens, the low engine oil light comes on. Alarming but very similar in aboslute level as before. I still usually add a quart at this point - just to make the light go away.

· Registered
'21 BMW 3-Series
308 Posts
@scmazda3 you are right indeed that they did something with 2021 model; in this post, a TSB was attached describing the oil consumption issue that they suspect it's due to valve stem seal modification and it's applicable to 2021 model year.
From the looks of it (my personal opinion) is that they are either going to change the valves under warranty or entire new head.

It might be a good idea to report this to the dealer so it's recorded in their system and when a fix would be available, to benefit from it.
Seems this will be covered by the power train warranty which is 5 yr/60,000miles.

· Registered
69 Posts
I didn't realize how much they had to change to the 2.5T to get it to fit in the 3. While this particular issue is related to the valve stem seals, other things were changed as well that I wasn't aware of until I saw the video with Coleman. Historically the 2.5 NA and 2.0 have been great engines not known to consume oil. Hopefully the issue gets resolved. I just made the cutoff.....403855.

· Registered
104 Posts
I didn't realize how much they had to change to the 2.5T to get it to fit in the 3. While this particular issue is related to the valve stem seals, other things were changed as well that I wasn't aware of until I saw the video with Coleman. Historically the 2.5 NA and 2.0 have been great engines not known to consume oil. Hopefully the issue gets resolved. I just made the cutoff.....403855.
What video?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
52 Posts
Got 1st low oil warning at ~15K, 300 mile over service period. Appt on this coming Wednesday morning. Needed to add a Qt as it was below bottom dot on stick. I will inform dealer to document.
Used -30W Valvoline Synth to top off. I hope this isn't a thing. My 05 RSX S was an oil pig 2-3 QTs every 7K oil change period based on how much VTECing I did.

· Registered
104 Posts
Got 1st low oil warning at ~15K, 300 mile over service period. Appt on this coming Wednesday morning. Needed to add a Qt as it was below bottom dot on stick. I will inform dealer to document.
Used -30W Valvoline Synth to top off. I hope this isn't a thing. My 05 RSX S was an oil pig 2-3 QTs every 7K oil change period based on how much VTECing I did.
Does your car fall within the VIN listing for the oil burn TSB problem?
Also did it log the low oil warning in the Mazda app?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

· Registered
52 Posts
Apparently so! Just check my VIN on the Android app. I filed it last night, so the health check says normal. My RSX S drove me crazy. The joke at the dealer was, "just change the filter, I already changed the oil!":cool: Honda's are oil pigs. My 16 Maxima never burned a drop, even under spirited driving. I guess back to checking it every week and topping it off until they get accountable.
I printed the TSB and plan on handing it to the Service and General MGR of the dealership.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts