2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's hoping I don't get the rants that Ivant got.

Well, I'm on an oil watch with mine now. Changed the oil less than a tankful away. Checked it last night, and it was to the add mark. Added a little over a quart to get to the full mark. Changed the oil at 9500 miles. Put 0w20 into it, which is what I'm running in the Tacoma and the Miata. Neither of these use any oil. The Tacoma has 65k, and the Miata is coming up on its first oil change at 13.8k from when the Toyota dealer did it at 8.8k (bought it from a Toyota dealership).

No oil on the garage floor, and all is dry when I look down into the oil change area from above. All was clean when I checked the oil filter and drain plug after starting the engine after oil change.

When changing the oil, the container had pretty much 4 1/2 quarts in it. Checked before starting the engine, and it was just above full, probably just enough to go into the small M1-108A filter. Didn't check it later until now. Of course, the car was up on ramps. Maybe the dipstick was showing high due to the tilt? I'll double check the level after starting the engine and off the ramp next oil change. Could be that I didn't put enough oil into it, but I think 4 1/2 quarts is what it's supposed to take.

The 5 quart container or M1 was 1/2 quart low because I'd added a 1/2 quart back at about 5k miles on the odometer.

Ralph

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
You're probably fine. When you change the oil, it's always high before starting the engine. This is because it hasn't had the chance to circulate.

When I change my oil, I'll get it full, back it off ramps onto level ground, and let the engine run for about a minute or two. Then I'll check again and top up as necessary. Guess what? The level always drops a little. This is normal.

I'd say that oil should always be checked with the engine hot. The level will go up a little due to thermal expansion, so you can avoid overfilling this was. Obviously not an option with oil change, so I stay a little under the full mark.

Oil should always be drained with a warm engine as well. Oil flows better when it's hot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts