161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Banned
844 Posts
becareful with rhino ramps.
i drove my car off them. :frown2: :surprise:

i tried again, and did the same thing.
what am i doing wrong??
Can you post a video.....um....maybe we can have a look and see what you may be doing wrong? :Michael_Jackson_dan

I have never had a problem with Rhino Ramps and recommend them to DIY all the time.:clap:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my oil changed at the dealer. I let the car set over night and when I checked the oil in the morning the oil was not up to the top indicator. Probably 3/16 to 1/4 from the top. I called the dealer and the service manager said that they fill the car with the required amount. I've noticed before the oil has never been to the upper fill mark. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Banned
844 Posts
Was wondering... The dealer told me that my car is due for an oil change every... 8000km or 4 months

This would be my first oil change, would you guys suggest getting it done earlier to flush out all the crap from breaking in the engine or wait till 8000km

Edit: I'm at 1800km so far.
I would have done the oil change much sooner. I do not think anything was harmed but what many do not realize is the engine if full of assembly lubes and also other things that really should be removed around the 3000 mile mark?

I had my oil analyzed and it should above average of all the things you don't really want in oil but no metal which was good. http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...terior/218898-nitro-s-mazda3-avocation-2.html

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been having issues reading my dipstick after almost every DIY oil change I've done. My 2.5L engine calls for 4.8 Quarts to replace the engine and filter oil. I purchase a 5 Quart bottle and empty out .2 Quart into a separate bottle, leaving me with 4.8 Quarts left. I remove and drain the old filter and well as let the oil drain out of my Fumoto valve. I fill the new filter to the brim with oil out of the remaining 4.8 Quarts and then top off the engine with the remainder of what's left of the oil.

I warm up my car, wait about 5 minutes for it to cool down, then I remove dipstick once to clean it, insert it again fully, and check my dipstick to get a reading. The problem is whenever I check my dipstick, the reading is never at at obvious marking point. Sometimes I see a buildup near the low indicator, and other times I see oil trailing up to about 2 inches higher than the "full" marking. Is this normal - or what the fk am I doing wrong? I've attached a few pictures but it's pretty hard to see the oil. 🤷‍♂️

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread but I've been having issues reading my dipstick after almost every DIY oil change I've done. My 2.5L engine calls for 4.8 Quarts to replace the engine and filter oil. I purchase a 5 Quart bottle and empty out .2 Quart into a separate bottle, leaving me with 4.8 Quarts left. I remove and drain the old filter and well as let the oil drain out of my Fumoto valve. I fill the new filter to the brim with oil out of the remaining 4.8 Quarts and then top off the engine with the remainder of what's left of the oil.

I warm up my car, wait about 5 minutes for it to cool down, then I remove dipstick once to clean it, insert it again fully, and check my dipstick to get a reading. The problem is whenever I check my dipstick, the reading is never at at obvious marking point. Sometimes I see a buildup near the low indicator, and other times I see oil trailing up to about 2 inches higher than the "full" marking. Is this normal - or what the fk am I doing wrong? I've attached a few pictures but it's pretty hard to see the oil. 🤷‍♂️

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers
The level is going to appear higher if you check it when the car is warm, and it will appear lower if you check it when the engine is stone cold. You want to have it between the two holes. If it's ever appearing below the bottom hole, it needs oil.

Keep in mind, too, that it's going to take time for all of the oil to drain back into the sump if you're checking just after running the engine. I usually check mine in the morning before even starting the car.

Also, no need to treat the 5qt jug like such a science, IMO. Give her most of it, then check (with car level), give her a lil extra glug if needed, etc.. Of course, make sure to do this after running the car for 3 seconds if you didn't prefill your oil filter.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts