2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Changed oil for the first time on my 2014 3i GT 2.0L at 2,500 miles today:
1. Safety raise car to allow access to underside.
2. Remove access panel by removing two 8mm (or phillips) hex bolts and two clips. (The clips have center part that you can use a small standard screw driver to gently pry down then you can remove the clips-see pics.)
3. Remove oil drain plug with 8mm hex wrench or hex socket.
4. After oil is completely drained replace drain plug after installing a new crush washer (my car did not have one from the factory- $1.39 from my Mazda dealer).
5. Remove oil filter. The filter is vertical beside the drain plug. It is best to use one of those filter wrenches that fit over the end of the filter and that you use a 3/8" ratchet to turn (see pics).
6. Apply a small film of clean oil to the seal on the new filter, fill it with new oil and install it. Do not use a wrench, just tighten snug by hand.
7. Add aprox. 4.4 Qts of new 0W-20 full synthetic oil. (owners manual says 4.4Qts and that put it to the top of dip stick).
8. Start the car and allow to run while checking underneath car for any leaks.
9. Turn car off, wait at least 10 minutes then check oil level to confirm it is full.
10. Replace oil change access panel under car.
11. Record oil change in your records. (remember to keep your receipts for parts to ensure Mazda will honor the warranty in case you ever have a problem with the engine.)

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
It looks like your drain plug already has a washer on it. Sometimes the washer is painted black from the factory as it appears in your picture.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your plug has the washer on it. If you take a razor it will pry off the bolt. Look at the seam between the head and washer. Like Wymi said, it's painted black from the factory.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So it looks like the filter is a spin on filter? If so, that's a relief. My MZ6 2.3 used a canister type filter which I would never trust to a quick change shop. I always go to the dealer for my service, but it's nice to know I could somewhere else in a pinch.

As for the DIY guys and gals, I've done it before when I was younger, but don't care to anymore and can afford to pay for it to be done by someone else.

My first DIY oil change was on my 67 chevelle with a cartridge filter... Didn't get the gasket on right and dumped a lot of oil on the ground when it was started. Then I had to lay in a pool of oil while I fixing it. Needless to say, I got much better at it after that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dealer said it would be $75-80 for an oil change. I said what if I bring my own oil and filter. $10 labor. OK. I'll pay them 10 bucks to do it for me at this time of year. Mobil one 0-20 at walmart is about $25. Now I just need to figure out what size filter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dealer said it would be $75-80 for an oil change. I said what if I bring my own oil and filter. $10 labor. OK. I'll pay them 10 bucks to do it for me at this time of year. Mobil one 0-20 at walmart is about $25. Now I just need to figure out what size filter.
My dealer charges $40.00 for oil & filter, tire rotation and a car wash. Use an OE filter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your plug has the washer on it. If you take a razor it will pry off the bolt. Look at the seam between the head and washer. Like Wymi said, it's painted black from the factory.
I think your right, anyway it is not much of a crush washer, did not trust it to seal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it looks like the filter is a spin on filter? If so, that's a relief. My MZ6 2.3 used a canister type filter which I would never trust to a quick change shop. I always go to the dealer for my service, but it's nice to know I could somewhere else in a pinch.

As for the DIY guys and gals, I've done it before when I was younger, but don't care to anymore and can afford to pay for it to be done by someone else.

My first DIY oil change was on my 67 chevelle with a cartridge filter... Didn't get the gasket on right and dumped a lot of oil on the ground when it was started. Then I had to lay in a pool of oil while I fixing it. Needless to say, I got much better at it after that.
Yes its a typical spin on filter.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thank you very much,
I will have my dealer do my first oil change since it's free, after that it will only be $50. That includes tire rotation, hand wash(not to keen in that) and other fluids topped off. Depending on what oil and filter they use I may go back to them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dealer charges $40.00 for oil & filter, tire rotation and a car wash. Use an OE filter.
40 would be a great price, considering it's synthetic oil. but I guess my dealer wants to charge 10 bucks a qt for the oil, LOL

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow! My dealer charges $46 and change including tax. But they included the first year free when I bought my 14. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
mazda dealers are alll over the map with their oil change pricing here in the san francisco bay area.

i got prices from $30 to $120!!! for an oil change.

I went with the $30 one. it was a mazda filter, with 0w-20 castrol. no premium for synthetic. this was from fremont mazda when they switched ownership last year. i guess they need to get people to visit their dealer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
mazda dealers are alll over the map with their oil change pricing here in the san francisco bay area.

i got prices from $30 to $120!!! for an oil change.

I went with the $30 one. it was a mazda filter, with 0w-20 castrol. no premium for synthetic. this was from fremont mazda when they switched ownership last year. i guess they need to get people to visit their dealer.
$30 with the castrol oil is a great deal. I'd stop changing my own oil for that price.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think your right, anyway it is not much of a crush washer, did not trust it to seal.
The crush washer is either soft copper or soft aluminum and yes it does work vey well when tightened correctly.

As for doing oil changes at the cheapie 10 minute places; gotta be careful there ,as had a friend went to one , one time and they only hand lightened the drain plug and of course it worked loose and he lost all his oil. Fortunately it was an older car so after a big fight they had a used motor from a wrecker, installed but was never like his original motor. Stay with the dealer. We bought the lifetime oil change package so after 10-12 changes it will be free as long as you own your car. If you by another one from them the cost was only $250 to transfer the lifetime oil change . Did this with our 2004 Civic and saved over $700 on oil changes over the 10 years.

Only catch, you have to go to that dealer for the free oil change as dealers are not transferable .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the post. I usually DIY all my car maintenance, but my dealer offers free oil changes FOR LIFE as long as I own my '14 3iGT. Sweet!

1 - 20 of 167 Posts