2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Skidigger
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With 3 months and approximately 2500 miles, I am due for an oil change, but the maintenance application indicates that I still have 70% of the oil left. How is everyone doing their oil change? Are you guys relying on your app or religious following miles/time period. :batman:

·
Registered
486 Posts
You are going to get a lot of different answers.

I only use full synthetic and depending on how I feel , the earliest I'll change is 3k and MOST lastest is 5k which I never have. 4300k is prob my furthest. So I recommend 3-5k. Or 3-4 months if mileage did not reach. That's me tho, it only cost be $25 to change oil myself so yaaaa

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
OCI's will highly depend on application, oil quality, air filter quality and oil filter quality. Some oils have additional additives that prevent breakdown of various special lubricating agents, while others don't. Some oils have additives that improve protection against carbon contaminates, others don't. Even within the realm of synthetics. I tend to run AMSOIL signature series only in my cars. I've had good luck with it in my Focus, even with extended 15,000 km to 20,000 km OCI's.

I just did my first oil change on my 2014 Mazda 3 with AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20 and their synthetic filter. I plan to do oil testing to see where things are at down the road.

This is a little anecdotal, bit what I did find with Mobile 1 synthetic (my previous go-to oil), after about 5000 km, maybe 6000 km, I would do an oil change and then the engine would "feel better". Almost smoother. This could be in my head for all I know, but I didn't experience this when using AMSOIL. Even after 20,000 km, I would do a change and the engine didn't feel any different, as if the oil I pulled out was still doing its job admirably. Take that for what it is. Anecdotal, and with no quantifiable data to back it up really. I did put over 250,000 km on that car though before getting the Mazda.

Right now, I set my maintenance computer for 15,000 km with the AMSOIL fill. Based on the oil and filter combo, I should be able to do 25,000 km. I'll do an oil test at or near 15,000km on my next oil change to see if it would still be good to go longer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I stick with a 5K miles schedule. Makes it real easy to remember when to do it. I usually try to find an inexpensive "High Mileage Engine" type oil that only goes up to SL (not SM or SN). These tend to have higher levels of zinc anti-wear additives than newer oils (thank you EPA). I don't think they offer those in 0W-20 though.

I've yet to change the oil on my new 3. My Mazda dealer gave me a free oil changes for life deal so I will try to use that when possible and will get the Mazda/Castrol synthetic that they offer.

·
Registered
965 Posts
OP, after only 3 months and 2,500 miles on the clock, who told you that you're due for an oil change? Your first OC should be at 5,000 which is what Mazda recommends.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I plan to do it when the computer says so, using the variable/flexible schedule.

This is a hot topic on BMW forums where the Condition Based Service uses an oil quality sensor to determine the service interval, which averages 30.000km or 20k mls for oil changes. I wasn't much a believer, but sent an oil sample for analysisy, my usual Castrol 0W-30 synthetic which had 18.500km on it. Results were very good, with the comment "You can run the oil longer"......so I am in no rush to do oil changes. I feel that modern engines are quite capable of running extended service intervals provided the filter and oil is of good quality.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Improvements in oil quality as well as super clean engine operation = longer oil change intervals.

Modern engines run MUCH cleaner then engines from the 90s, let alone the 80s and older. Pretty much any car these days can do 10k intervals with any Synthetic with ease.

Certain conditions call for more frequent oil changes but 95% of the public aren't doing SEVERE service operations.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My first change will be with just under 3k, but I will use Mazda's High Moly oil at least for the first change. Engine is still breaking in and high moly is good for that...after 6k I may switch to Mobil 1 or another brand...

·
Registered
43 Posts
It cannot be a bad thing to do your first oil change early, even with the new full synth oils. You have been breaking in a new engine, and this produces the most metal wear from the action of the rings (and other parts) getting settled. The metal is in your oil. I have changed out my first oil under these recommendations at between 1000 and 1600 miles on several cars. End result? i have never had to add a drop of oil at any point later on. One of these was a Saab 9-5. Not only was the first oil change required by Saab at 1000 miles, this was included with the car -not by the dealer, but by Saab.

·
Skidigger
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP, after only 3 months and 2,500 miles on the clock, who told you that you're due for an oil change? Your first OC should be at 5,000 which is what Mazda recommends.
It was set by the dealer. I got a call in the first week of September saying that my oil change is due. I got my car in the first week of June this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts