2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my '16 iTouring, the dealer set my first oil change at 7500 miles. After getting my oil change, I noticed they set the next interval to be at 5000 miles. Was it 7500 just because it was still brand new? Or did they lower it down to 5000 just to get me to pay another $90 sooner? It's pretty common to get oil changes done at that interval but I just want to make sure I'm not getting played here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Depending on the type of driving you do, the sky active cars can go up to 10k on an oil chance. When I sent my oil sample into black stone they told me to push it another 2k and resend in the sample. So I did. They actually told me to change the oil every 12k. At the time I was doing a ton of easy long distance highway driving.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeah they are just trying to squeeze money out of you. Unless you told them something that would indicate you fall under the more aggressive maintenance? By default, I think the oil reminder also has a time limit set to something very low like 3 months or something. All Hogwash.

In the end, I would recommend do what most of us do to be sure... send some oil off to blacklabs. It's not that expensive (you are not going to do it every time you change your oil) and you'll know for you particular driving. I'm up to 10K mileage, could also probably go more but I'm sticking with that (FYI using an extended oil though).

·
Registered
266 Posts
By reading the Scheduled Maintenance entry in the Maintenance and Care section of your Owner's Manual, you can learn more about the subject and determine how frequently you want your oil to be changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts