2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the car almost 1,000 miles ago and scheduled a date for 9am Thursday at the Mazda dealer. Is there anything I should ask or know about? It's a 2012 Skyactiv 2.0 manual transmission hatchback. There was a coupon on the website. $69.99 for synthetic oil, plus free tire rotation, brake check, top off all fluids, check CV joints, multi-point inspection. What does that inspection entail? Do they use the oil weight specified on the oil cap? Should I even bother with the coupon or just get the oil change? Can I ask to look at the car while it's up in the air? I just want to see it, namely the brand of oil filter the previous owner had installed...

Thanks, y'all.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,276 Posts
Just bought the car almost 1,000 miles ago and scheduled a date for 9am Thursday at the Mazda dealer. Is there anything I should ask or know about? It's a 2012 Skyactiv 2.0 manual transmission hatchback. There was a coupon on the website. $69.99 for synthetic oil, plus free tire rotation, brake check, top off all fluids, check CV joints, multi-point inspection. What does that inspection entail? Do they use the oil weight specified on the oil cap? Should I even bother with the coupon or just get the oil change? Can I ask to look at the car while it's up in the air? I just want to see it, namely the brand of oil filter the previous owner had installed...

Thanks, y'all.
Mazda dealer Service would provide the specified oil/oem filter for the vehicle. Their list covers the basics (listed on the coupon) and would notify the deficiencies (if any)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wished I would have seen the vehicle personalization guide before going to the dealer.

I would have asked if they could update my turn signal to the smart turn signal. Maybe I'll get an oil change coupon as well. :)

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
164 Posts
It depends on the dealership. The dealer I bought 3MOE from didn't use Castrol oil (I don't know what brand of oil they used, but it came out of a drum container), as recommended in my owners manual, so for 2 years I was losing about a quart of oil between each oil change. I asked the service manager about the oil loss and he said that was normal sometimes. I thought that was a BS answer. I switched to a different dealership for service, which uses castrol oil, and for the past 2 oil changes I haven't lost any oil. I have 50k miles on 3MOE now and the engine seems to be running smoother with castrol oil too. This same dealership, that didn't use castrol oil, also told me my brake/clutch fluid needed changing. I looked at the fluid and it was as clear as new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This same dealership, that didn't use castrol oil, also told me my brake/clutch fluid needed changing. I looked at the fluid and it was as clear as new.
lol typical dealer. the good ones are rare, in my opinion. I'd bet if you said OK do it, they wouldn't, but still charge you. that's the kinda stuff my local Subaru dealer was doing. they're gone, so is that oil burner. good riddance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol typical dealer. the good ones are rare, in my opinion. I'd bet if you said OK do it, they wouldn't, but still charge you. that's the kinda stuff my local Subaru dealer was doing. they're gone, so is that oil burner. good riddance
See that's what scares me. If I can't see the mechanic doing the work, my paranoia tells me they aren't actually doing it. Can I ask for the old oil filter or something as proof?

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
164 Posts
You can "mark" the old/new parts (julian date or something) before the work is started, just don't let them know you marked the parts. Oh yeah, take fotos of the marks.

See that's what scares me. If I can't see the mechanic doing the work, my paranoia tells me they aren't actually doing it. Can I ask for the old oil filter or something as proof?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My invoice says they used

0000-G5-0W20-MQ (quantity of 6 it says but my engine takes less than that.......?????)
9956-41-400 gasket
PE01-14-302A-MV filter

They rotated my tires, checked brakes and fluids, in and out in just an hour, cost after tax was $75. I don't mind having the dealer do it every year. I drive less than 7,500 miles a year because I ride my motorcycle most days in the warmer months.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,276 Posts

0000-G5-0W20-MQ (quantity of 6 it says but my engine takes less than that.......?????)
9956-41-400 gasket
PE01-14-302A-MV filter

They rotated my tires, checked brakes and fluids, in and out in just an hour, cost after tax was $75. I don't mind having the dealer do it every year. I drive less than 7,500 miles a year because I ride my motorcycle most days in the warmer months.
If they're using the Mazda bottled oil... they're rounding it up 1/4 used

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
164 Posts
6 quarts???? The owner's manual (page 9-5) says that 3MOE takes 4.4 qts with a new filter, and 4.0 w/o a new filter. I have changed the oil a few times myself, so I can confirm that information.

9956-41-400 gasket
PE01-14-302A-MV filter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah 6 qts is what my invoice says...I checked the oil this morning and it's a little above the full mark. Like 5mm at most. A bit overfilled won't hurt anything, will it? I could just keep wiping the dipstick off until it's within specs...

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
164 Posts
5 mm is not a lot, but then, I don't know the distance between the top of the oil to the crankshaft. I would check to see if the oil is foamy/bubbly after a drive though. A service department should NEVER over fill oil, no matter how little over the full mark they go. Some people say that 1/2 a quart of oil over full is ok, but I disagree. The manufacture established the full amount for a reason. I would do the next oil change myself, just to see how much oil your engine holds. 1 quart of Castrol syn oil = $7-10, right?

Yeah 6 qts is what my invoice says...I checked the oil this morning and it's a little above the full mark. Like 5mm at most. A bit overfilled won't hurt anything, will it? I could just keep wiping the dipstick off until it's within specs...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts