2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new 2018 Mazda 3 with around 650 miles on it. I'm assuming that it was used by the dealer for many short rides. Because of that I made sure that they included a free oil change when purchasing the car.

I got the free oil change coupon (which I need to schedule), but was recommended that I do my first oil change at 5000 miles. Is there an issue to changing the oil this early? I have close to 900 miles on it. Worried about carbon build up because of the inital short drives.

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 Mazda 3 with around 650 miles on it. I'm assuming that it was used by the dealer for many short rides. Because of that I made sure that they included a free oil change when purchasing the car.

I got the free oil change coupon (which I need to schedule), but was recommended that I do my first oil change at 5000 miles. Is there an issue to changing the oil this early? I have close to 900 miles on it. Worried about carbon build up because of the inital short drives.
Mazdas service interval recommendation is 7500 miles. Those few miles won't make any difference. Carbon build up isn't a real problem either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is your car build date? This is the date oil was filled. I would changed it if it is close to 1 year.
I am on the same boat. I bought new 2018 in May 2019. Car was build in August 2018. I am going to have first oil change in August, no matter what mileage
and start 7500K interval from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They probably won't even let you get an oil change. When I bought my 3 I went in at 2.5k to get my free oil changed and they refused to do it saying it was unethical to change the oil so early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
They probably won't even let you get an oil change. When I bought my 3 I went in at 2.5k to get my free oil changed and they refused to do it saying it was unethical to change the oil so early.
Thats as ridiculous as it is unbelievable. No dealership would ever refuse a chance to take your money....:laughing001:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think oil change interval has any effect on carbon build up.
No, no connection at all really...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thats as ridiculous as it is unbelievable. No dealership would ever refuse a chance to take your money....:laughing001:

On moms, I explained to them that I'd rather do it early than wait for 5-6k so that I could get the gunk out from breaking the car in and they said that it wasn't necessary. My guess is they did it so that when I do come in for the oil change their is more things worn down in the car and they'll try and talk me into repairing something.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Correct me if I'm wrong. Lot of short drives without giving the oil enough time to fully heat up and come to the correct operating temperature can result in carbon build up.

I'm hoping by changing my oil I can flush out some of the deposits, if any. My current commute is around 30 mins highway each way. This will help keep the carbon build up under control.

How can you find the build date of your vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. Lot of short drives without giving the oil enough time to fully heat up and come to the correct operating temperature can result in carbon build up.
No. You can get moisture in the oil and sludge but not carbon. The sludge is from the oil not getting fully warmed up and not given time to circulate properly. A good detergent oil helps a lot.

How can you find the build date of your vehicle?
Its not on the door sticker?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. You can get moisture in the oil and sludge but not carbon. The sludge is from the oil not getting fully warmed up and not given time to circulate properly. A good detergent oil helps a lot.

Its not on the door sticker?
You're right, it's sludge build up. Would you recommend changing the oil at 900 miles.

I'll check my door sticker.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts

The 2018's M3 use Mazda synthetic oil, but unlike regular motor oil (sludging up) is very rare for synthetics. Regular motor oil break down quicker and irregular long interval replacement are the common issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Checked my door and the build date is Jan 2018. Close to 19 months since build date. May not be a bad idea if the oil was not changed?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why didn't you have them change the oil before you took possession?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts