2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had my dealer do there free oil change at 2300 miles. At 9200 Miles I changed the oil myself and sent it in for Analysis.

Two items came up in concern, Silicon that should only have been in there if the oil was not changed. And sodium that could spell coolant leak into oil, or possibly just an additive in the oil the dealer used. After calling Oil Analyzers they said it looks like the oil had not been changed from the factory as the silicon level was a little high, Normal for a first oil change but a little high for a second oil change.

I'm going to the dealer soon to get a new sample of the oil they put into my car and have analysis done. If I find they did not change my factory oil, I'm going to be pissed and make allot of noise.

I suspect the the oil was not changed. I looked carefully for any signs that someone changed the oil. The oil filter and plug was extra hard to break loose, the type of tightness that either comes from a bad mechanic or a factory installation.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my Amsoil Rep do some research for me yesterday.

The oil tech guy found 10 compatibles of the same engine for me. None showed more than 10 PPM of silicon for a second oil change. Silicon is often found in new engines, do to sand blasting of the block.

The level is a little bit high, if it continues to be a little high I may have a slipped gasket problem.

My silicon level was comparable to cars that had there first oil change. The sodium level was also near the same as those with there first oil change.

I can not find the smoking gun proof I wanted. I'm still going to file a complaint with the BBB against the dealer that claimed they changed my oil. I could be wrong, but the way I feel about is like this "if it looks like a fish and smells like a fish, it might be a fish".

·
Registered
12 Posts
I can not find the smoking gun proof I wanted. I'm still going to file a complaint with the BBB against the dealer that claimed they changed my oil.
Have you actually talked to them and presented all this information? Give them a chance to respond.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you actually talked to them and presented all this information? Give them a chance to respond.
I did speak to them to asked them about what oil they used when they changed my oil.
They said it was not the Mazda oil at first. Then I called my oil guy and he said that the oil analysis showed it was more likely the factory oil rather than the one they spoke to me on the phone. I confronted these finding with the dealership only to have them back peddle there story and they said sometimes they use Mazda oil.

I've been speaking with 3 people on this.
1. Oil Analyzers INC. oil tech guy.
2. My Amsoil dealer that has worked with me for 20+ years.
3. The Mazda car dealership.

I trust the first 2.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had my dealer do there free oil change at 2300 miles. At 9200 Miles I changed the oil myself and sent it in for Analysis.
This oil change is on a new car? That's very early for modern engines. Some manufacturers' factory oil has (extra) molybdenum-disulfide. It's known as "break-in" oil, coats the internals, and works as an anti-wear component. You change it out early and you won't reap the benefits.

I changed mine based on the owner's manual (5000-7500 miles for a 2010 Mazda3). At the Mazda dealer, they use Castrol.

From your report, I see moly at 136 ppm. I have nothing to compare it to, but watch that number if you test more samples.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Do you not check your oil on a regular basis? This could have been avoided if you checked the oil level after the 18 year old high school drop out did your 10 minute Express oil change. You would have either noticed it overfilled, under filled or if you're lucky, just the correct amount of oil but if it didn't get changed, you would have seen the dark oil after the so called oil change and would have raised hell right there at the dealership. That's what I recommend to people who have their cars serviced ANYWHERE. ALWAYS CHECK THE WORK or have someone who knows a thing or too check it for you.

Keep us updated on how this turns out.

I changed the factory oil at 1,000 miles and sent in a sample of Mobil 1 0w30 to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I had 138ppm of Moly, 14ppm of silicon and 3ppm of sodium. <--- this was the second oil chnage.

High break-in particles is technically normal. Maybe they put your block together on a Friday and some dirt got in cause they were lazy. It'll wash out... Hopefully.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This oil change is on a new car? That's very early for modern engines. Some manufacturers' factory oil has (extra) molybdenum-disulfide. It's known as "break-in" oil, coats the internals, and works as an anti-wear component. You change it out early and you won't reap the benefits.

I changed mine based on the owner's manual (5000-7500 miles for a 2010 Mazda3). At the Mazda dealer, they use Castrol.

From your report, I see moly at 136 ppm. I have nothing to compare it to, but watch that number if you test more samples.
2300 miles was plenty of miles to flush the engine. Your thinking of permenant coating of parts is snake oil claims. I wanted at least one oil change before testing so I could look for serious engine problems.

·
Registered
343 Posts
after the 18 year old high school drop out did your 10 minute Express oil change.
That's exactly right. The dealerships don't put their master techs on oil changes. They give it to the guy who busts tires and washes cars. Sadly most of these guys don't give two poops about your car or about doing quality work. They just want to get home to play X Box and smoke some pot. :scooter 1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts