2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a Blackstone oil analysis after my oil change a few weeks ago and started an interesting discussion on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum. The users there were giving some advice on oil viscosities, why there might be fuel dilution in a direct injected engine, running different octane gas, etc.

I figured since theoretically this forum is full of Mazda owners with more Mazda-specific knowledge, it might be worthwhile to have a place to post oil analyses, compare different types of oil and filters and troubleshoot any sort of issues with the engine or oil.

I have attached a copy of my oil analysis report, showing that Mobil 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy with a Fram Ultra filter with roughly 7,000 miles on it seems to work pretty well. The viscosity was a bit lower than you'd want so I might want to shorten my oil change interval this time around. Also, the report mentions a bit more fuel in the oil than is normal, although they said this happens in a lot of DI engines. I've heard that maybe bumping up to 91 octane would help that. I'm also going to keep a close eye on the aluminum because that could show bearing and piston wear, although I hear that is pretty normal for an engine with only 18,500 miles on it.

Right now I'm running the OE Mazda oil and filter and plan to keep the oil change interval the same as before and run 87 octane gas so I can directly compare the two oils at the next oil change.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My second oil analysis is in. It shows that the Mazda 0w-20 and OEM filter have cleared up all of the previous concerns I had with the Mobil oil, and now Blackstone is telling me I can push the mileage up to 11,000. I love the insight this report gives for your car. Blackstone is the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use Blackstone for my vehicles as well. Once I purchase my Mazda3, and perform the first oil change, I hope to be able to add to this thread.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Black stone is great. I'm up to 12,000 mile intervals with my mazda. using mazda oil and filter. With still good results. I do tend to not drive my car hard at all though...

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
Great report. Thanks. Looks like the Mazda oil is doing great, if not, better, due to a stronger additive package.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great report. Thanks. Looks like the Mazda oil is doing great, if not, better, due to a stronger additive package.
Might be a stupid question but what exactly is mazda oil? Are you saying not to use the Mobil 0-20?? And the expensive fram/k&n oil filters are worse than stock?

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,274 Posts
Might be a stupid question but what exactly is mazda oil? Are you saying not to use the Mobil 0-20?? And the expensive fram/k&n oil filters are worse than stock?
The 2018 Mazda 3 GT - Mazda uses synthetic motor oil & the OEM Mazda oil filters are fine. It's a personal preference to alternative brands.

My Mazda dealer says i'm good till 14,000kms for each oil change, however I usually change it around 10k - dislike murky coloured oil

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hmm, I do 20-25k between oil changes. My last oil change I went with liquimoly specialtech blend and a mobile 1 filter. My 2.5L does an average of 31.3mpg in San francisco bay. I do either 120 miles a day or 200 plus miles a day with a 100 mile each way commute. I still have the original front brakes, I thought the 2nd set of rear brakes needed changing at 120k but the dealer was just trying to make cash when I pulled them they still had life. So I've got 127k on rear brakes and 145k on front. Even the original coolant. This car has been very very reliable other than the warranty issues the first year that I almost lemoned it for. I also had the touch screen go bad on me but that was covered along with a wiggly drivers seat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 2018 Mazda 3 GT - Mazda uses synthetic motor oil & the OEM Mazda oil filters are fine. It's a personal preference to alternative brands.

My Mazda dealer says i'm good till 14,000kms for each oil change, however I usually change it around 10k - dislike murky coloured oil
Ohh gotcha. I have a 2016 3 s GT and it only has 16k miles on it. Changed the oil at 12k with mobil 0-20 and a fram filter. Seems to do fine

·
Registered
134 Posts
Any recommendations between the Annual protection, Extended performance or advanced fuel economy?

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
You can use any oil you like. Most modern oils are great and can go on for longer OCIs.

But...

All new cars, come with what's known as factory oil. Factory oil comes with a higher dose of Molybdenum - usually around 800, whereas regular oils have 0-200 Moly. Moly is known as the worlds slickest lubricant. It is used in new engines to help with the break-in, and reduce friction as much as possible. Other companies prefer Boron and Sodium over Moly.

Mazda Oil comes with a higher dose of Moly. In this UOA, we see 500 Moly, as well as 136 Boron. This is good for lubrication, less friction, and somewhat better MPGs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Last i researched all 0w-20 oils were synthetic. So I'd imagine just about any of them would work. Just check the certification meets thr owners manual spec.

For an infrequently driven car I would probably still change the oil once a year regardless of mileage. Probably sooner if you do short trips frequently.

I use motul 300v in my track car, I'll probably use their lower tier oil for my mazda and do a UOA after the first interval just to see. So that would be around February or March

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can use any oil you like. Most modern oils are great and can go on for longer OCIs.

But...

All new cars, come with what's known as factory oil. Factory oil comes with a higher dose of Molybdenum - usually around 800, whereas regular oils have 0-200 Moly. Moly is known as the worlds slickest lubricant. It is used in new engines to help with the break-in, and reduce friction as much as possible. Other companies prefer Boron and Sodium over Moly.

Mazda Oil comes with a higher dose of Moly. In this UOA, we see 500 Moly, as well as 136 Boron. This is good for lubrication, less friction, and somewhat better MPGs.
I assume the only way to keep that specific oil in the car is to have the dealership change the oil or no?

·
Super Moderator
724 Posts
I assume the only way to keep that specific oil in the car is to have the dealership change the oil or no?
They sell Mazda oil online - Ebay, Amazon, dealership website. You can even pick it up in person.

·
Registered
134 Posts
They sell Mazda oil online - Ebay, Amazon, dealership website. You can even pick it up in person.
Oh sweet, oil filter too im assuming. Guess i will be purchasing some oil in 4k miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
From my online research (mainly over on Bob is the Oil Guy forum, a site dedicated to engine oil), most (if not nearly all) Mazda dealers will use 0W-20 synthetic that is NOT Mazda brand. They mostly use Castrol since it comes to them cheaply by the barrel from Mazda.
The "Mazda 0W-20 GF-5 synthetic with moly" is relatively expensive and only comes in 1 qt bottles. Dealerships will not make as much money if they put that in customer's cars. Most of them seem not to stock it.
I ordered some Mazda 0W-20 from Avondale Mazda (an Amazon seller) over 2 weeks ago and still have not received it. I called them up yesterday and the (friendly) rep said it is in high demand and is still on backorder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From my online research (mainly over on Bob is the Oil Guy forum, a site dedicated to engine oil), most (if not nearly all) Mazda dealers will use 0W-20 synthetic that is NOT Mazda brand. They mostly use Castrol since it comes to them cheaply by the barrel from Mazda.
The "Mazda 0W-20 GF-5 synthetic with moly" is relatively expensive and only comes in 1 qt bottles. Dealerships will not make as much money if they put that in customer's cars. Most of them seem not to stock it.
I ordered some Mazda 0W-20 from Avondale Mazda (an Amazon seller) over 2 weeks ago and still have not received it. I called them up yesterday and the (friendly) rep said it is in high demand and is still on backorder.
Is this true? what the hell am I paying $65 for, I thought the high cost was do to the extremely over priced Mazda oil. Shit it's time to order some Amazon 0W20 for $23 then..... :argh 1:

·
Registered
965 Posts
You can just order the Idemitsu with Moly. It’s the same thing.

I’ve bought several jugs when it was on sale @ $27 shipped I think.

No reason to overpay for the Mazda Logo. Idemitsu makes the Moly infused oil for them, so just get it directly from the source.

https://www.amazon.com/ZEPRO-30010095-95300C020-Medalist-Advanced-Engine/dp/B072QXMJBS

Shits overpriced at the moment. Lol.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You can just order the Idemitsu with Moly. It’s the same thing.

I’ve bought several jugs when it was on sale @ $27 shipped I think.

No reason to overpay for the Mazda Logo. Idemitsu makes the Moly infused oil for them, so just get it directly from the source.

https://www.amazon.com/ZEPRO-30010095-95300C020-Medalist-Advanced-Engine/dp/B072QXMJBS

Shits overpriced at the moment. Lol.

Even better, the Liquimoly 2208 0W-20 Special Tec AA Motor Oil, 5 L Exactly what you need at each fill and very reasonably priced. Seriously, it's the only oil I use now.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JMM0BM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've been buying the Mazda-branded 0W-20 from my dealer for $6.44 a quart, 24 quarts at a time; and Mazda oil filters for 7.42 apiece, five at a time.

I can get cheaper stuff at the local auto parts stores, and have in the past and probably will in the future, but decided to stick with the zoom-zoom folks at least until the warranty runs out, especially since they give me a price break for the volume I buy at each purchase.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts