2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love posts like this when facts are presented instead of emotional anecdotal stories. BTW Walmart online ran a promotional sale on the Havoline full syn 0W20 6qt eco-friendly (interesting) box for $13.99 delivered. I could not pass that one up. Over the past year I have noticed more OW20s showing up on the market. About time.
Yes, more and more new models are spec'd for 0w20 and will probably continue for the forseeable future.
Not a fan of how "rattle-y" the engine sounds with Pennzoil Synthetic 0w20, but I've gotten used to it (my wife doesn't notice) and appreciate how well it flows in very cold temps. (Source: Project Farm's Oil tests on youtube)

Pennzoil also offers a great rebate when buying their oil, I often pick up their 5L~1G jug for $15 or so.
EZPZ DIY changes with Mazda filters.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Project Farm! Hell yeah! My son and I have watched most of his videos. Nice. I do think that the 2.5L sounds like a tractor when starting cold in the AM... but I remind myself that this is a special economy car that punches far above its weight class.

I've done the Pennzoil rebate in the past too. Nice deal. I just saw Mobil1 0W20 on sale for $19.98 at my local Navy Exchange. No tax... but I don't need 4 jugs of oil on the darned shelf!

·
Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
Thats a considerable amount of magnesium. I didn't think that Mg was still used in that amount as part of a detergent package. Mg was shown some time ago to cause issues such as build-up on piston rings in some engines and upper cylinder wear. If you are getting oil past the rings at all Mg can cause hard deposits on the piston crown, which can lead to detonation. Some of the larger manufacturers had done away with Mg at one point in favor of calcium.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've read of people with Benzes go 20k on oil changes with synthetic. I've been going 10k for about 10 years on VW TDI and now Mz3 and Mx5 (well, Mx5 doesn't make 10k before the year's up but considering taking it to 10k).

Ralph

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What was the remaining oil life on the meter?
Since mine is a 2018, it shows oil life in miles rather than percentage (even using the flexible setting) so it showed about 600 miles left. When I reset it it went back to 7500 miles.

Thanks for your analysis, whereabouts are you from and is your mileage 50/50 highway/city?
I'll be doing one this coming spring to set my own OCI
You're welcome and sorry for my late reply.

I'm from Portland, Oregon in the states and I did about 25% highway, 75% city.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts