2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last month I changed my oil per the flexible oil monitor's prompting and took a sample for Blackstone Labs to analyze. I went just over 7,000 miles on Mobil1 0W20 with a Mazda filter. The results came back today and they were quite surprising. Obviously the car is new but the theoretical oil life that remained floored me.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm not surprised to be honest. We've known for a long time that all manufacturers have us change our oil far too early for various reasons. Especially synthetic!

Thanks for sharing this. Very helpful information!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I'm not sure why this is so surprising. According to the flexible maintenance schedule published by Mazda and put in every owners manual, the oil change interval is 10k miles. If you changed it at 7k and had at least 2k left on the oil, that means the Mazda schedule is correct.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Last month I changed my oil per the flexible oil monitor's prompting and took a sample for Blackstone Labs to analyze. I went just over 7,000 miles on Mobil1 0W20 with a Mazda filter. The results came back today and they were quite surprising. Obviously the car is new but the theoretical oil life that remained floored me.

View attachment 274443

What was the remaining oil life on the meter?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for your analysis, whereabouts are you from and is your mileage 50/50 highway/city?
I'll be doing one this coming spring to set my own OCI

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thanks for your analysis, whereabouts are you from and is your mileage 50/50 highway/city?
Please do post results! I've always thought it insane that Mazda places us on an 8k km change interval but the rest of the world far greater. Would be awesome to have something to back up extending that drain interval when I'm off warranty next summer

·
Registered
24 Posts
Please do post results! I've always thought it insane that Mazda places us on an 8k km change interval but the rest of the world far greater. Would be awesome to have something to back up extending that drain interval when I'm off warranty next summer

Must have insane weather in Canada

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in Portland, Oregon down south of the 49th and this oil change was about 2,000 miles highway and the remaining 5,000 miles in the city which, when converted to sensible units is about 3200 km highway and 8,000 km city.

I don't normally do that much highway driving but I had a long trip to Wyoming right at the start of it plus a trip to the beach in September. 95% of the time I'm just farting around town.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Do we have an UOA thread for this generation?
If not, I will tailor my next interval to mimic the above so that we can make a good A:B comparison.
I too am using strictly Mazda filters but with Pennzoil Synthetic. (hard to say no to one of the best cold weather flow and $15 synthetic oil changes when on sale!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
So what is made of or coated with magnesium? Bearings? Rings? Both oil analysis reports show more than the universal averages.
Just a guess but probably the engine block. Most aluminum alloys used for engine blocks have a small magnesium content. Its possible that Mazda is using a high Mg content to save some weight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love posts like this when facts are presented instead of emotional anecdotal stories. BTW Walmart online ran a promotional sale on the Havoline full syn 0W20 6qt eco-friendly (interesting) box for $13.99 delivered. I could not pass that one up. Over the past year I have noticed more OW20s showing up on the market. About time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts