2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
@Dagmar Haha thanks! it's just vinyl wrap from here Bulk Interlagos Wrap Vinyl | EmpireGFX.com Dunno where the pic went on their site but I used interlagos. Same pattern thats in VW's. Didn't bother me but might bother some. I'd like to do the panels around the window switch. The console around the shift knob is plastidipped. It somehow got a nice scratch so plastidip fixed that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks good

It might not be noticeable if you manage to get the seam at the very bottom of each ring and make sure there is no overlap. Depending on how stiff and thick the vinyl is, you may want to either wait until summer and run the heater the entire time. The heat makes it much more pliable. You could also use a hair dryer if you have one. As far as a picture, let me see. Here are a few of the vinyl and plastidip work I have done on my interior.

I don't have any of the gauges but I will take some tomorrow. It is the same red as the rest of it.
Looks great..do you have a link for where you purchased the vinyl from ? I can not find a red close enough to match my car but your vinyl looks very close.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't see the notification. I ordered mine from MetroRestyling.com but i would advise...it isn't exactly the best quality stuff. Especially when you go to remove it. It doesn't come off nicely, you go to take it off and the vinyl comes off but leaves all the adhesive still on the piece. I would taking them off one at a time with a bottle of goo gone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well, today we hit 94 and the tight corners of the vinyl bubbled up :/

Anyone know where you can get those pieces of the dash in the brushed aluminium titanium look?
I live in vegas so its always like 100 degrees... am i going to have a problem getting it not to bubble? Im totally not a handy person & will def need someone to help but since its hot here do I have to take extra steps?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I live in vegas so its always like 100 degrees... am i going to have a problem getting it not to bubble? Im totally not a handy person & will def need someone to help but since its hot here do I have to take extra steps?
I recommend using 3M 70 spray adhesive. You can get it at Home Depot. Mainly use it on the edges and anything with a curve. If you do that and also try not to stretch or heat up the vinyl very much if at all, then you should be fine. The less heating up the better. I live in Texas BTW. Made it through one summer so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recommend using 3M 70 spray adhesive. You can get it at Home Depot. Mainly use it on the edges and anything with a curve. If you do that and also try not to stretch or heat up the vinyl very much if at all, then you should be fine. The less heating up the better. I live in Texas BTW. Made it through one summer so far.
Good! I was worried... did you happen to do anything on the outside? I wanna do my emblems but dont want them to crack. I've had good luck with vinyl stickers but I'm so picky about my car she's my baby

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Good! I was worried... did you happen to do anything on the outside? I wanna do my emblems but dont want them to crack. I've had good luck with vinyl stickers but I'm so picky about my car she's my baby
I haven't wrapped anything on the exterior and really don't plan to. The only thing I think you can use on the outside is alcohol to clean the surface extra well before application. There "may" be a special adhesive promoter for this application you can buy. A simple google search should turn it up if there is one.

Two other options for exterior that I personally stick to are Plasti-Dip (great for emblems) or removing the chrome with a 3 day bleach bath then painting them with plastic spray paint. The way I look at it is if you aren't sure about a color..interior or exterior...then you can plasti-dip first and go with that for a few weeks and see if you like it or want to change something. Once I get it how I like then I go permanent. Some people may like the idea of changing it up every now and then. Or, they want to be able to go back to the stock chrome look. If I did ever decide that it would only cost me about 60-70 bucks to buy new emblems for my entire car.

BTW when you decide what you are going to try, search for threads on this site. There are how-to's for almost everything. Happy to help if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't wrapped anything on the exterior and really don't plan to. The only thing I think you can use on the outside is alcohol to clean the surface extra well before application. There "may" be a special adhesive promoter for this application you can buy. A simple google search should turn it up if there is one.

Two other options for exterior that I personally stick to are Plasti-Dip (great for emblems) or removing the chrome with a 3 day bleach bath then painting them with plastic spray paint. The way I look at it is if you aren't sure about a color..interior or exterior...then you can plasti-dip first and go with that for a few weeks and see if you like it or want to change something. Once I get it how I like then I go permanent. Some people may like the idea of changing it up every now and then. Or, they want to be able to go back to the stock chrome look. If I did ever decide that it would only cost me about 60-70 bucks to buy new emblems for my entire car.

BTW when you decide what you are going to try, search for threads on this site. There are how-to's for almost everything. Happy to help if you have any more questions.
I second plastidip, and cleaning with alcohol first. Easy to remove, can spray the emblems right on the car, and done well it looks really good. Can't find anthracite gray locally to do my emblems, but did some interior pieces with white plastidip. I think it came out pretty good:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's a shot of my interior that I plasti dipped :)

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
How'd you get these pieces off of the car?
The door handle just pops off. Use a plastic pry tool or tape-wrapped flat-head screwdriver and just pry along the bottom. It should come off real easy.

The vents I haven't personally taken off, but iirc the service manual states to run wire between the vent flaps and pull out. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The door handle just pops off. Use a plastic pry tool or tape-wrapped flat-head screwdriver and just pry along the bottom. It should come off real easy.

The vents I haven't personally taken off, but iirc the service manual states to run wire between the vent flaps and pull out. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah the vents do just pull out, they are pretty tight though. Just be careful with the flaps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A small portion of my interior. All my doors are like this, and now that its winter break I have started to finish transforming my interior to how I want it.

And now I finished up my black headliner

I like the doors. I really want to get rid of all my red dots at some point. The black headliner is awesome as well. How much of a pain in the ass was that?

·
VIP MZ3
155 Posts
I like the doors. I really want to get rid of all my red dots at some point. The black headliner is awesome as well. How much of a pain in the ass was that?
I thought it was pretty easy but I have pulled my interior panels a few times so when it was time for the black headliner it was really quick to get out. Even if you havenʻt pulled much of your interior before its not to bad

·
Registered
111 Posts

Ehh I, myself, am not JDM, but my car is.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts