2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Di-Noc interior

The goal: to cover the cheap-looking silver trim in the interior with 3M Di-Noc carbon-fiber vinyl.

Current status:

Door handlles are wrapped

Driver-side button trim wrapped

Passenger-side trim wrapped

Shifter surround, 12v outlet door, shifter knob trim, and heated seat trim wrapped

The only other thing I want to wrap is the climate control trim, but I can't figure out how to remove it. Any ideas?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I have to say is AWESOME JOB! :yes:

damn dude, that looks pretty gnarly. was that hard to do at all?
Well, some of it was. The door handles were cake and so were the dash pieces. It took me a little while to figure out how the shift knob trim piece comes off, but after that it was easy. I'd say just about anyone could do those.

The hardest parts were the console pieces. Specifically, the interior curves. Di-Noc seems to have a memory, which makes interior curves very difficult. Basically, you stretch it, heat it, and it bounces right back. Annoying as hell, lol. I ended up having a split all the way up to the edge of the curve just to get it wrapped. If the split goes to far, the piece is ruined and you start over. I had to wrap the shifter surround and heated seat trim twice due to this issue.

I'm not even sure I can wrap the climate control trim, but I have the Di-Noc and would like to give it a go. I think it looks funny in silver next to the black and CF. I took out the shifter surround and radio, but there doesn't appear to be any reasonable way to remove that piece. If anyone figures this out, please let me know!

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So basically it works like a sticker? And how much did it cost you?!
I kind of wanna do it on my car
Yeah, it's adhesive-backed like a sticker. The adhesive is heat-activated, I believe. A heat gun really helps. The vinyl was $60 for 24"x48". I had to redo two pieces and I have some leftover.

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks sick! Where can you buy that stuff? Can you do a how-to if you are going to do that last piece?
I got mine from Carbon Fiber Gear: Your source for everything carbon fiber but there are several other sources as well. I didn't take pics of the process, so I doubt there will be a how-to. I can answer specific questions though.

I looked at mazdaspdjase's thread and he didn't remove the climate control trim piece. He just applied it in place in the car. I doubt I'll go that route. I'll try to figure out how to remove it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Derrick, found mazdaspeedjase's thread on another forum. Don't know if he posted one here since I don't really venture into the speed3 forum much.

I looked and he definitely did the temperature control surround and it looks like the exact same set-up as our GT trim controls. I'll PM him on MOCC and ask how he got it off, since I'll be doing this soon too.
3m CF roof wrap & interior trim - new pics of the roof and MPS Badging - 28Mar10

NM, I just read your post #10.

·
Continuous Party Member
563 Posts
The goal: to cover the cheap-looking silver trim in the interior with 3M Di-Noc carbon-fiber vinyl.

Current status:

Door handlles are wrapped

Driver-side button trim wrapped

Passenger-side trim wrapped

Shifter surround, 12v outlet door, shifter knob trim, and heated seat trim wrapped

The only other thing I want to wrap is the climate control trim, but I can't figure out how to remove it. Any ideas?

Remove the center vent stack, the headunit, and the entire console.....the control nacelle is held in by some screws and located by pins.....you will have to unhook harness plugs and the air-control door rods to complete remove it.....I'm not sure how the control knobs come loose from the faceplate...never got that far.....HTH

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just bought a 24x48 piece for $54. That size covered the door handle pulls too?
Yep, it should be enough for all of the silver in the interior...unless you make a few mistakes, lol.

Remove the center vent stack, the headunit, and the entire console.....the control nacelle is held in by some screws and located by pins.....you will have to unhook harness plugs and the air-control door rods to complete remove it.....I'm not sure how the control knobs come loose from the faceplate...never got that far.....HTH
From what I saw, the pins are only for centering. There are no screws. There are tabs that go into the big side panels of the console (that go to the floor). It looks like you'd have to take those side panels off, but maybe I missed something. I'll look again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very nicely done. Liking the shift knob trim there. :)

One question, I have checked out the link you put down from where you bought it. But any other sites that you know of that would sell these films as well?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Derrick, would you mind posting a quick primer on how to safely remove the trim pieces? I'm a noob and don't want to break a clip off of something by doing it wrong. I know someone wrote a how-to on getting the trim above the glovebox off, so if you want you could skip that one.

I didn't see a pic of your steering wheel, did you do the two silver parts at the bottom of the steering wheel too?

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nicely done. Liking the shift knob trim there. :)

One question, I have checked out the link you put down from where you bought it. But any other sites that you know of that would sell these films as well?
Oh yeah, there are several web sites and vendors on ebay. A simple Google search will guide you.

Derrick, would you mind posting a quick primer on how to safely remove the trim pieces? I'm a noob and don't want to break a clip off of something by doing it wrong. I know someone wrote a how-to on getting the trim above the glovebox off, so if you want you could skip that one.

I didn't see a pic of your steering wheel, did you do the two silver parts at the bottom of the steering wheel too?
Darkspeed wrote the guide for removing both dash trim pieces. The console just pulls off. Start by pulling up on the back of the cupholders and work around the edges, pulling up slowly. That piece detached from the shifter surround. Hold down on the back of the shifter surround and the cupholder piece just pops off.

The shifter surround is a little more difficult, at least for automatics. Remove the shift knob. If you have an automatic, you have to put it in gear. Pull up around the edges of the piece slowly. If you have an automatic, you will need to pull slightly toward the back of the car once all of the clips are released.

The best advice I can give is pull slowly and be mindful that this is just plasic and it will break. If something doesn't feel right, grab a flashlight and check it out.

I didn't remove the steering wheel trim. I haven't done it yet and won't until I figure out how it's removed. If I can't wrap it, I'm not doing it. I've already had to fix a couple of issues with this stuff lifting.

1 - 20 of 264 Posts