2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1081 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
The car itself takes a H11 bulb. Anything else won't fit. Usually manufacturers like Phillips or Osram don't make aftermarket HID bulbs for halogen housings like what our cars have.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey anyone know what HID headlight kit are reliable?
I want to change my stock halogen low beams into HID 5000K but I dont know which brand or kit to get.
Also about how much is the HID kit?

Anyone been through this process?
sorry I bet some1 already asked this question but I dont want to go through 105 pages to find my answer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey anyone know what HID headlight kit are reliable?
I want to change my stock halogen low beams into HID 5000K but I dont know which brand or kit to get.
Also about how much is the HID kit?

Anyone been through this process?
sorry I bet some1 already asked this question but I dont want to go through 105 pages to find my answer.
I have not gone through the process yet, but I think most people are going to tell you to go with Morimoto. Check them out here: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/

·
Registered
231 Posts
So I have DDM HID kit but the light output hasn't been that great. Is there a way to maybe just change out the bulb and keep the current ballast and relays or would I need to switch everything out for best results. Trying to save my money if I can reuse the relays and ballasts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So with your HID kit, did you get the low or high beams for it? Im trying to decide on it but wanted to know cause the low beam has the halogen reflector which with HID i don't believe would emit light nice/correct.

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Done! Took about 1.5 hours, hardest part was maneuvering my way inside the fender to access the driver side and finding a spot to mount the ballast / relay. Didnt work at first, reversed the polarity on both sides and they fired up right away. Started pretty blue, settles at a pure white with a hint of blue after a minute or so. Cutoff looks pretty great with factory projector lenses, no glare at all, still have yet to drive with them yet.

factory halogen / morimoto 6500k H11b 35w

So with your HID kit, did you get the low or high beams for it? Im trying to decide on it but wanted to know cause the low beam has the halogen reflector which with HID i don't believe would emit light nice/correct.

Thank you

·
Demon Spawn
758 Posts
Done! Took about 1.5 hours, hardest part was maneuvering my way inside the fender to access the driver side and finding a spot to mount the ballast / relay. Didnt work at first, reversed the polarity on both sides and they fired up right away. Started pretty blue, settles at a pure white with a hint of blue after a minute or so. Cutoff looks pretty great with factory projector lenses, no glare at all, still have yet to drive with them yet.

factory halogen / morimoto 6500k H11b 35w

Thank you
the high beam would "look" ok to an observer but to oncoming traffic an HID in the high beam just puts glare and light right into oncomers eyes and not very well into the environment or the road, its better to put them in the projector low beam but even then you guys need to realize your assemblies were never designed for HID lighting they were designed for halogen lighting. the patterns are different and the refectors and assemblies have to be built different to compensate, just saying don't you hate those trucks with HIDs that blind you as you drive toward them or they are behind you? well kost of the time the HID is in a halogen housing and that's why.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can the Morimoto HIDs be used without the relay? I am comfortable changing the bulbs and mounting the ballast, but not sure about the wiring for relay harness.

·
Registered
70 Posts
And I realized I put these questions in the wrong thread too. I have 2014 Mazda 3. So would the Morimoto work without relay in those cars as well?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there much difference between the color ratings of different brands? From what I've seen on the web, Morimoto's 5500K lights look even more blue than the DDM 8000K...

And what are the main differences between a $60 DDM kit and a $150 Morimoto kit? Are Morimoto colors more crisp, or are the ballasts/bulbs more reliable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Help with Lightings.

What are some of the brightest and cool white halogen headlights out there? I've got 2016 m3 sedan.

I asked that because most members here don't recommand LED headlights and I'm not interested in HID.

Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
5,244 Posts
What are some of the brightest and cool white halogen headlights out there? I've got 2016 m3 sedan.

I asked that because most members here don't recommand LED headlights and I'm not interested in HID.

Thanks for your time.
6000k LEDS are a fairly easy install and can work quite well if you use the right bulbs. Use the forum search function for recent posts on this subject. Everything is there if you look for it.

·
Registered
260 Posts

Thanks for your time.
This is the best and cheapest upgrade possible.

$9 Philips regular bulb off amazon with a trim.

Led bulbs don't belong in projectors.

Drop in projector retrofits are available, but does include opening the headlights.

1041 - 1060 of 1081 Posts