2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I just took off my speed3 hatch spoiler and plan to swap with Drewzilla for his stock spoiler. This is the first documented swap in the US. :yes: We believe the spoilers are interchangeable and are going to be the guinea pigs.

Here are some pics and measurements of all the clips and screws. PARDON THE NEW ENGLAND SALT ALL OVER THE CAR

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing I should note to everyone who plans to add a speed3 spoiler to their regular 3 hatch:

You will need to drill a hole to run the 3rd brake light wire/harness through the hatch. Other than that, the rest should be a piece of cake.

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. From what I can see from the pics I got from Drewzilla, all holes (minus the 3rd brakelight hole) appear to be identical. We will keep the thread updated as we get info and pics of the swap =)

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those of you wondering how to remove the MS3 spoiler, there are (4) 10mm nuts underneath, then unplug the brake light harness and then you have to pull very hard to unclip the spoiler. I almost sh*t myself when the clips came undone.... **BOOOOM-BOOM!** LOL

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
For those of you wondering how to remove the MS3 spoiler, there are (4) 10mm nuts underneath, then unplug the brake light harness and then you have to pull very hard to unclip the spoiler. I almost sh*t myself when the clips came undone.... **BOOOOM-BOOM!** LOL
Looks like there are rubber rings around the clips to seal out water. The bolts look like mazda used some kind of sealant. What are you going to use to reseal the bolt holes?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Looks like there are rubber rings around the clips to seal out water. The bolts look like mazda used some kind of sealant. What are you going to use to reseal the bolt holes?

nothing. it's not required. pull yours off and you'll understand.

DarkSpeed:

Hangin out w/my wife until she goes to bed so we can get as much quality time together. gonna be pulling mine off tonight, or tomorrow. i'll give you a ring tomorrow when i get a chance.

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what youre referring to.... :mellow 1:

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nothing. it's not required. pull yours off and you'll understand.

DarkSpeed:

Hangin out w/my wife until she goes to bed so we can get as much quality time together. gonna be pulling mine off tonight, or tomorrow. i'll give you a ring tomorrow when i get a chance.
Ok, If I dont answer, I may be tied up so leave me a voicemail and I will get right back as soon as I can. I do plan to ship tomrrow (wednesday) as long as you think everything matches up on your end. I have analyzed both of our photos and the 3rd brake light hole is the only difference I see. Contours all look identical.

Shoot me an email with your shipping address too. Thanks

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The clip on the upper right looks like it has a rubber seal so when you snap it into the hatch door it seals out any rain that would drip down from the roof. The threaded bolt on the left looks like it had some kind of sealer (Silicone, polyurathane or whatever they used) around it to seal out water. That threaded bolt goes thru the door and has a bolt behind it right. Won't rainwater get in there and rust out the inside of the door.

Attachments

·
1,272 Posts
DarkSpeed, before you ship it out, is there any way that you can post the product numbers from all of the individual pieces (i.e. spoiler, brake light, interior trim panel, etc...)?

I can see some of them in the pictures, but not all of them I don't think. Thanks :)

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh. I see what youre saying. No thats not the case, that stuff in the middle of the 3 is like a clay. Probably to prevent rattles, not keep water out. The one with the foam right on the right is the only one that needs to be sealed that way for water. Impossible for water to get in.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Ok, Now I seeeeeee ! Thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ok...I was supposed to do this earlier, but Howe & Howe Tech was having the season finale, and i was NOT about to miss it! I'm a dork, I know. I'm not going to go into the detail that DarkSpeed did for two reasons: 1) he already did and I don't like being redundant, and 2) I'm lazy. :blush 1:

Attachments

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2 hours of packaging... believe it or not. This shit could probably be dropped off a building and not be harmed... LoL... I dont recommend trying though

First, I wrapped it several times in high density foam and secured all foam in place with tons of packaging tape... Then taped a bunch of extra cardboard around vital areas (the DHL boxes). Then I double boxed (wrapped cardboard) around all of that and taped it in place. FInally I wrapped that with a ton of shrink wrap and then taped all that in place and I am BEAT. Its pretty exhausting, I guess Im out of shape :argh 1:

Here is the process and it is ready to ship tomorrow (wednesday). Well, technically today for those on the east coast.

·
F*ck a sunroof.
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dread going to USPS tomorrow with this 5 foot monster and getting the price for shipping :crybaby 1:

·
Registered
987 Posts
lmfao!!!!!

That's great, thanks man!

·
Registered
987 Posts
"Fra-Gil-Et. Must be Italian!"

1 - 20 of 242 Posts