<use_internally>TRUE</use_internally>
                <path>/dev/input/filtered-touchscreen0</path>
                <type>AAP_TOUCH_SCREEN_TYPE_CAPACITIVE</type>
            </touch_screen>[/B]
            <key_codes>
                <value>AAP_KEYCODE_SEARCH</value>
                <value>AAP_KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY</value>
                <value>AAP_KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS</value>
I'm not 100% on the use_internally but I am pretty sure on the other 2 tags at least the touchscreen path I am sure of. The main reason I am unsure about use_internally is because it looks like it may be set to TRUE already but this looks very promising so whos gonna test it??

·
Registered
83 Posts
somebody please test this, add this to aap_system_attributes.xml:
Code:
      </display>
      <input_devices>
[B]            <touch_screen>
                <use_internally>TRUE</use_internally>
                <path>/dev/input/filtered-touchscreen0</path>
                <type>AAP_TOUCH_SCREEN_TYPE_CAPACITIVE</type>
            </touch_screen>[/B]
            <key_codes>
                <value>AAP_KEYCODE_SEARCH</value>
                <value>AAP_KEYCODE_MEDIA_PLAY</value>
                <value>AAP_KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS</value>
I'm not 100% on the use_internally but I am pretty sure on the other 2 tags at least the touchscreen path I am sure of. The main reason I am unsure about use_internally is because it looks like it may be set to TRUE already but this looks very promising so whos gonna test it??
Thinking of this, would it be possible to get the variables from the official AA to map the music and nav buttons to the respective features in AIO AA?

·
Treveloper
534 Posts
WoW sweetttt. When can we expect an update to test it :)?
I want to get some opinions about this, so now that we have the key codes for music, home, and nav screens it seems like those should be the functions of the 3 corresponding multicontroller buttons but that means that the current functions of those 3 buttons need to be moved around a bit so here is my proposal for the new button configuration:
Music - Music Screen
Home - Home Screen
Nav - Navigation Screen
Back - back (stays the same)
Control Knob - Directional controls, mic, etc (stays the same)
Mic (steering wheel) - Voice Command (stays the same)
Phone (steering wheel) - Phone screen/answer call (stays the same)

This seems like the correct implementation of all of those buttons but we have some unusual functions (play/pause audio, change audio source/focus and exit AA) that I think are worth keeping and also 2 remaining buttons so I think they should work as follows:

Fav - Switch Audio Source (AA <-> MZD) and additionally plays AA audio when switching to AA and pause when switching to MZD, MZD audio will play whatever source it was on before.
Call End (steering wheel) - Exit to MZD (during phone call just ends the call without exiting)

The major changes are that
1. Home button will no longer exit AA, the call end button on the steering wheel would exit AA now except during a phone call (Assuming nobody would want to exit AA during a phone call)
2. The Fav button would function like a combination of its current functionality and the functionality of the music button. There would be no more "pause" button you would have to open the Media screen to pause the music

I feel like this is probably the best way to go but I would like to hear some feedback before I put this out for people to test.
Also to anyone who has used Official AA I curious as to what the Fav button does and if there is an exit button or do you have to open the OEM screen to exit?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also to anyone who has used Official AA I curious as to what the Fav button does and if there is an exit button or do you have to open the OEM screen to exit?
I have the dealer fitted AA with "Tunein Radio" app on my Samsung J7 phone so that I can listen to Uk radio while I am in Spain. When using AA in google maps both with and without Tunein Radio the Favorites button takes me to the Mazda Favorites screen with my Mazda Nav places and Mazda Radio Stations, selecting either a place or a station takes me to the mazda map or the Mazda Station.
I have not had time to investigate but I do not have the ability to select the Phone book page of the Favorities.

I have not tried it but the instructions say "To return to the Mazda Connect Screen Press and hold the Home button on the command switch"

·
Registered
83 Posts
I want to get some opinions about this, so now that we have the key codes for music, home, and nav screens it seems like those should be the functions of the 3 corresponding multicontroller buttons but that means that the current functions of those 3 buttons need to be moved around a bit so here is my proposal for the new button configuration:
Music - Music Screen
Home - Home Screen
Nav - Navigation Screen

This seems like the correct implementation of all of those buttons but we have some unusual functions (play/pause audio, change audio source/focus and exit AA) that I think are worth keeping and also 2 remaining buttons so I think they should work as follows:

Fav - Switch Audio Source (AA <-> MZD) and additionally plays AA audio when switching to AA and pause when switching to MZD, MZD audio will play whatever source it was on before.
Call End (steering wheel) - Exit to MZD (during phone call just ends the call without exiting)

The major changes are that
1. Home button will no longer exit AA, the call end button on the steering wheel would exit AA now except during a phone call (Assuming nobody would want to exit AA during a phone call)
2. The Fav button would function like a combination of its current functionality and the functionality of the music button. There would be no more "pause" button you would have to open the Media screen to pause the music

I feel like this is probably the best way to go but I would like to hear some feedback before I put this out for people to test.
First of all, you are awesome!

Second, i would personally program them as following (like you suggested):

Music - Music Screen
Home - Home Screen
Nav - Navigation Screen

I wouldn't program the call end button on the steering wheel to exit AA.

I like the fav button that would switch between AA and MZD, but maybe only if the official way is not possible?

From the official AA manual, maybe this helps: https://i.postimg.cc/sDmwkSYY/1.jpg

·
Treveloper
534 Posts
Do you mean Mazda's Home Screen or AA's? Would be nice to have Home go to the Main AA Home screen but if you push Home again, it goes to the Mazda Home
yea that is what Im talking about AA Home screen and call end to exit to Mazda home screen I have it set up like that now and it is better IMO

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Audio button will bring you back to Mazda audio screen if you're listening to radio / USB / etc. If you're listening anything in AA, it'll bring you to AA audio screen.

Same goes for the Nav button - if you have route programmed in builtin nav, the NAV button will take you to Mazda nav. Otherwise it'll take you to Waze/Maps tab in AA.

As for phone calls - I didn't have any strange bugs and were taken in AA always. If you have active navigation in AA, the call will just show as a popup and keep you on the navigation screen.

I'm seconding mil's opinion on official AA - it just seems more sensibly integrated and less buggy.
In AIO AA when I press the music button it just hits play on my current google play song. You're saying that in official AA it would bring me to the Mazda music menu instead of just playing my current song?

Trez - Thanks for keeping the unofficial AA updated, you're a champion. After reading this thread I think it'd probably be beneficial to keep the unofficial client (assuming this latest update did indeed solve my blackscreen issue, i didn't have that problem driving around today and I'm hoping it sticks). I would really like to have it so that when the AA client is launched, the first press of the music button just plays your current tracks, and pressing it again opens the music menu. It sounds like official AA and your proposed change will just make it open the music menu without hitting play. What do you think? Also is there a donate link somewhere? I wanna throw you a tenner

·
Registered
554 Posts
First of all, you are awesome!

Second, i would personally program them as following (like you suggested):

Music - Music Screen
Home - Home Screen
Nav - Navigation Screen

I wouldn't program the call end button on the steering wheel to exit AA.

I like the fav button that would switch between AA and MZD, but maybe only if the official way is not possible?

From the official AA manual, maybe this helps: https://i.postimg.cc/sDmwkSYY/1.jpg
I second Haldon...not logical to end AA with the call end button, but all else is gold. Anyway to hold down the home button or joy stick knob for "extra" seconds to end?

·
Treveloper
534 Posts
In AIO AA when I press the music button it just hits play on my current google play song. You're saying that in official AA it would bring me to the Mazda music menu instead of just playing my current song?.
I would really like to have it so that when the AA client is launched, the first press of the music button just plays your current tracks, and pressing it again opens the music menu.
I second Haldon...not logical to end AA with the call end button, but all else is gold. Anyway to hold down the home button or joy stick knob for "extra" seconds to end?
So if the music button is set to open the media screen that will be its only function and that is why I would make fav ⭐ button the play audio/swap audio source between AA and MZD button so you can press it to play AA audio and press it again to go back to radio or USB or whatever you are playing with the MZD audio.
For holding down buttons I would have to figure out how to go about coding that up since it is not written into our code, it is probably not that difficult but it's just another thing to do that would take some time to figure out which is why I am trying to maximize the use of single pressing buttons for now. BTW would you ever press the call end button if you weren't ending a call? If so then for what? If not then great, since it has no function when not in a call then I can assign it a function and if you don't want to use it thats cool too but may still be useful for others. Then later I could add the hold-home-button-to-exit function when I have some time to look at it and code up some logic for holding down buttons.

·
Treveloper
534 Posts
If you have active navigation in AA, the call will just show as a popup and keep you on the navigation screen.
OK that is very cool. If the official AA can do that then we may be able to eventually as well.
I'm seconding mil's opinion on official AA - it just seems more sensibly integrated and less buggy.
OK that is because the official AA is so heavily integrated into every service in the system it would be nearly impossible for us to reverse engineer that many integrated functions. However, I have been breaking down the binary service file aap_service with IDA Pro to try and find out how certain things are being done.

You mostly just get a bunch of assembly code when you decompile it, then when you try to rewrite back into c++ it is like trying to rebuild a giant castle with a huge pile of different sized and shaped blocks that have all to fit in very specific ways but you don't even have the instruction manual so you just start putting stuff together and finding different pieces that fit together like maybe you made a whole castle window over there or the top of a tower 0over here... point is it's gonna take a while. But what you do get to see in the breakdown is all the functions' names and just from those you can tell that AA and CP are both heavily integrated with every single service in the system so it better run smoother than butter my friend. Official AA is also registered as a service itself so all the other apps are aware of it and can communicate and react accordingly and we could do that as well to make unofficial AA run better but at the same time that would be a little bit dangerous. A great example of a time we had to do exactly that is when we fixed the Bluetooth-phone-call bug.

But I have to say we did a pretty fuckin great job using only a fraction of the code and no documentation or resources at all just reverse engineering not only AA but the MZD system as well. HaXorZ

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Trezdog44

First off, amazing work reverse engineering the AA binaries to get to where you are right now. Every time I use this, I am super impressed. That said, from some past experience working on this sort of thing, I know that the audio stream can be configured to be encoded in a compressed manner during the handshake rather than PCM. I'd be happy to experiment with this, but before I bring up the dev environment, I wanted to check if I pulled master and build, does it equate to the AIO version released?

The audio compression is important to get AA to work properly in wifi mode because there simply isnt' enough bandwidth to stream multiple audio streams of PCM + video over wifi.

Also, another low-hanging bug I noticed is that when Waze is navigating, the HUD message seems to be displaying the remaining distance MOD 2km. It might be a limitation of the HUD, so if we simply suppress the HUD update until the distance is < 2km, it will work properly.

Again, bravo on this. Amazing work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think using the call end button to exit AA is good idea. Why would anyone press that button when not in an active call anyway? Using home button to go AA home is the logical one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
So if the music button is set to open the media screen that will be its only function and that is why I would make fav ⭐ button the play audio/swap audio source between AA and MZD button so you can press it to play AA audio and press it again to go back to radio or USB or whatever you are playing with the MZD audio.
For holding down buttons I would have to figure out how to go about coding that up since it is not written into our code, it is probably not that difficult but it's just another thing to do that would take some time to figure out which is why I am trying to maximize the use of single pressing buttons for now. BTW would you ever press the call end button if you weren't ending a call? If so then for what? If not then great, since it has no function when not in a call then I can assign it a function and if you don't want to use it thats cool too but may still be useful for others. Then later I could add the hold-home-button-to-exit function when I have some time to look at it and code up some logic for holding down buttons.
Ok got it...Like It! Fav button it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Love the proposed changes and excited to test out the upcoming version! Thank you for your continued efforts in this development.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a question which I can't seem to solve yet.

It's for AIO AA.

If in the middle while using AA wifi and it crashed out of AA. How can we get back into it? I tried re-running AA on CMU, doesn't work. Reset CMU. Doesn't work. Have to reset the phone. Then can connect again.

But doing this while driving is bad......I just don't know how to get back to AA when it crash without need to reset everything :(

Is there a log file I can look at to see what happened and potentially fix it? Just very annoying if you're using AA for directions then it suddenly crash on u :(

·
Treveloper
534 Posts
@Trezdog44

First off, amazing work reverse engineering the AA binaries to get to where you are right now. Every time I use this, I am super impressed. That said, from some past experience working on this sort of thing, I know that the audio stream can be configured to be encoded in a compressed manner during the handshake rather than PCM. I'd be happy to experiment with this, but before I bring up the dev environment, I wanted to check if I pulled master and build, does it equate to the AIO version released?

The audio compression is important to get AA to work properly in wifi mode because there simply isnt' enough bandwidth to stream multiple audio streams of PCM + video over wifi.

Also, another low-hanging bug I noticed is that when Waze is navigating, the HUD message seems to be displaying the remaining distance MOD 2km. It might be a limitation of the HUD, so if we simply suppress the HUD update until the distance is < 2km, it will work properly.

Again, bravo on this. Amazing work.

Thanks.
Hey that would be great if you could do that! I just pushed the most stable version of the code I have to the master branch in my repo here: https://github.com/Trevelopment/headunit it has all the latest HUD stuff in it. I am not really a C++ wiz I do mostly php, javascript, node, SQL and stuff like that for my day job so trying to fix those types of things like sound compression has been a tough endeavor for me but it is definitely a good learning experience.

21 - 40 of 126 Posts