2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Wanted to hear people's experiences who used both AIO and changed to official AA from Mazda. Has the experience been more stable? Better performance?

For reference, using a 2015 Mazda 3, Pixel 2XL and recent version of AIO. It's been a good experience but some lags, freezes on long drives are making me wonder if having the official AA installed by Mazda would be worth it. Certainly use it everyday so not worried about the cost.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm curious as well. I have AIO installed and I get some problems with AA. This is likely due to the fact that I'm running a custom ROM on my phone, but still considering the official update to see if it solves any problems.

How exactly does the interface work? Is it just AA and carplay or does it still have the same interface as a base launching point? To be honest I'd pperfer not to use AA for music....

With regards to AIO, can I still use some of the tweaks? I'm enjoying some of them such as Tue pause when I hit mute and removal of the annoying warnings.

Where's a good place to get parts? Keep in mind that I'm in Canada and going over the border usually isn't worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would also very much like to know that. I've tried AIO couple of weeks ago and in my opinion it's not usable. Good for proof of concept, or for enthusiasts or maybe if you don't have navigation. It's unstable and more often lagging than not (running of Galaxy S7) with stuttering audio. Some glitches here and there. I found Maps experience much better and smoother with stock Mazda navigation. I've been thinking about getting official AA, but after trying AIO it seems like a waste of money unless it's a lot faster and glitch free.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,251 Posts
I've just got the Apple Car play (dealer installed). The best feature is "Siri" she does a better job, than Mazda's voice prompts. Mazda's HUD nav is better vs display maps route/google maps is a lot quicker.

CP will allow hands free messaging.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm using the AIO for about a year with the oneplus 5t. I have no problems whatsoever. Buttery smooth. No audio issues. There were some bluetooth issues back then but they're all ironed out. I can't live without it. My only gripe, it has no "no touchscreen mode" which allows driver to control whole system easly only using the knob. I don't want to use touchscreen while driving. You can't cancel the active route for example with the knob. You have to use either the touchscreen or the voice command. Many thanks for the people who spared their precious time on this project.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used to use AIO AA in the past and now I have the official one.

I didn't notice any drastic stability or performance differences.

To me, the main advantage of the original one is that it is better integrated with the rest of the Mazda system. So you see popups when you adjust the volume, the buttons around the knob (Nav, Music) work in a more sensible manner, etc.

The lack of touch in the original AA is a mixed bag though. Without touch, AA presents additional on-screen buttons that you can get to by turning the knob. AIO AA didn't show them and if you didn't have the touchscreen-while-moving mod enabled, some things were hard (impossible?) to do (such as recenter after zooming). On the other hand, it now takes more turns and clicks of the knob to do things such as zoom in/out in Google Maps (in AIO you could just turn the knob; now you need to turn the knob until you select the zoom button, then you push the knob in, and only then can you zoom in/out).

Firmware v70 works better with my Android phone than did 59.00.502 (before, it wouldn't even list the contents). The new hub also charges the phone much faster. Either of these features are only available with the original AA since AIO AA doesn't work with the new firmware and, as I understand, old firmwares don't support the new hub. So unless AIO AA is fixed to work with v70, or somebody hacks the original AA in v70 to work with old hubs, it's pretty much a packaged deal. If you want any of the new features, you must agree to all of them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used to use AIO AA in the past and now I have the official one.
At last! Thank you for an on-topic reply and answering the OP's question he/she actually asked.

For other earlier posters the comparison actually asked was for was between Mazda's Official AA and AIO's AA; no more no less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How is the radio integrated with official AA? Must we go back to the Mazda interface to change back to radio after listening to play music or there is a kind of application that do it ?

I encounter few bugs with AIO like when I do a phone call, it sometime bring me back to Mazda interface, is it something's that happen in the official?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Radio integration with the official AA is very similar to that of AIO AA. In particular, if radio is playing while you are in AA, you can use the previous/next buttons on the steering wheel to switch between favorite radio channels, but that's pretty much it. So if AA is your current audio source and you want to switch to the radio, you have to switch back from AA to Mazda Connect (e.g., by long-pressing the Home button), and then change the audio source in Mazda Connect.

The function of the audio button by the knob changes depending on whether AA is your current audio source or not. If you are listening to AA, then the audio button switches to the AA audio screen (irrespective of whether you were in AA or in Mazda Connect when the button was pressed). If you are listening to the radio (or, I guess, any other audio source that is not AA), then the audio button brings up the Mazda Connect audio source menu as usual, again, irrespective of whether AA was being displayed when the button was pressed or not.

I can't help you regarding phone calls as I don't talk on my phone when driving so I have no experience on how it works, either using AA or Mazda Connect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How is the radio integrated with official AA? Must we go back to the Mazda interface to change back to radio after listening to play music or there is a kind of application that do it ?

I encounter few bugs with AIO like when I do a phone call, it sometime bring me back to Mazda interface, is it something's that happen in the official?

The Audio button will bring you back to Mazda audio screen if you're listening to radio / USB / etc. If you're listening anything in AA, it'll bring you to AA audio screen.

Same goes for the Nav button - if you have route programmed in builtin nav, the NAV button will take you to Mazda nav. Otherwise it'll take you to Waze/Maps tab in AA.

As for phone calls - I didn't have any strange bugs and were taken in AA always. If you have active navigation in AA, the call will just show as a popup and keep you on the navigation screen.

I'm seconding mil's opinion on official AA - it just seems more sensibly integrated and less buggy.

·
DougS
7 Posts
RE AIO doesn't work with v.70: I am told that almost all features of AIO work with v70. I don't have v.70 yet, so can't confirm this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, almost all AIO features work in v70... AA being a major exception. :frown2: You just get a black screen and that's it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I doubt that. In the NA firmware, there's plenty of storage left (if that's what you mean by "memory").

My guess is that even without the new USB hub, some components of the original Mazda CP or AA are running, and they interfere with the AIO AA version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did the serial hack on V70 (dealer updated :/) to get AA, but getting the black screen. Is there any solution for this? Can I downgrade to v59 or do I have to buy the official USB hub now?

·
Treveloper
528 Posts
Can I use AIO to enable touch screen on the genuine Mazda version of AA?
No you can't. AIO can enable touch screen for all aspects except Official AA. It can work on AIO's AA though.
I found the file you will have to edit to accomplish this /etc/aap_system_attributes.xml (had to add ".txt" to upload it here)
looking at the binary with just a text editor I can see some clues, from aap_service:
Code:
[B]  /aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/touch_screen/use_internall[/B]y Failed to allocate memory for new input device
 TRUE    Not using internal thread for touch input
  Exceeded max no of touch input device %d
   Maximum input device reached %d.
   [B]/aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/touch_screen/path[/B]   Memory not allocated for device path
   Memory not allocated to store touch device %d
  [B]/aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/touch_screen/type[/B]   AAP_TOUCH_SCREEN_TYPE_CAPACITIVE    AAP_TOUCH_SCREEN_TYPE_RESISTIVE Wrong touch screen type %s
 Wrong touch screen type %d
 Failed to allocate memory for new input device %d
  /aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/touch_pad/width Invalid touch pad width
    Maximum input device reached %d,%d
 /aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/touch_pad/height    Invalid touch pad height
   Memory not allocated for touch pad %d. Ignoring touch pad height   [B] /aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/touch_pad/control_ui[/B]    Touch pad is not going to control UI
   Memory not allocated %d. Ignoring control_ui tag    /aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/touch_pad/physical_width    Memory not allocated %d. Ignoring touch pad physical width  /aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/touch_pad/physical_height   Memory not allocated %d. Ignoring touch pad physical height 
[B]/aap_attributes/head_unit/input_devices/key_codes/value[/B] Maximum key codes limit reached %d
 Found redundant key code in the XML file

Attachments

1 - 20 of 122 Posts