2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunlop*SP Sport 5000 M

Just got a 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires found in the link above. Now I see some excellent reviews on a few good tires of that size in the $120 - $180 range, but these are $180 and have TERRIBLE performance ratings for everything except dry conditions, and for that it gets just an average rating.

Why a crappy expensive tire? What is Mazda thinking?

And why not this Dunlop tire for $220 less per car?

Dunlop*Signature HP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honestly, these tires are garbage, I have just shy of 25k on my car and my dunlops are basically bald.. just got a great used set of winters for now, but once summer hits Ill be going with a good all seasons, NOT these thats for sure.

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Very very good question!

And why I will be trading them in immediately when I get my car (as has many other Mazda 3 owners). As to why, perhaps Mazda got a screaming deal, perhaps fuel mileage, or some other reason that is not very important to many of us who value performance, safety and similar.

·
Super Moderator
5,187 Posts
Dunlop*SP Sport 5000 M

Just got a 2017 Mazda 3 GT Hatchback with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 tires found in the link above. Now I see some excellent reviews on a few good tires of that size in the $120 - $180 range, but these are $180 and have TERRIBLE performance ratings for everything except dry conditions, and for that it gets just an average rating.

Why a crappy expensive tire? What is Mazda thinking?

And why not this Dunlop tire for $220 less per car?

Dunlop*Signature HP
I replaced the OEM tires with the Dunlop Signature HPs less than 500 miles in. Night and day difference.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
continental DWS 06. Fantastic replacement!

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
353 Posts
Our 17" VW Jetta TDI came with Continentals. Good tires, but they only last about 35-40k miles. Ones on our 2010 at 76.5k miles were due for 2nd replacement at buyback.

Thought Dunlops were supposed to be good tires.

I'll be looking for quieter ones that perform as well or better. Steering is so much better on the 3 than on the Jetta that these stock tires on the 3 sGT seem fine.

I once blew out a Continental snow tire on the old Benz. Only one other than a Semperit once on a Fiat.

Ralph

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
I can confirm that I rotate my tires every 6k miles, I'm been running the DWS tires for 20k miles. They're a 560 treadwear rating and my last oil change (two weeks ago) I had 7/32 on the front, and 8/32 on the rear -- which for those of you unfamiliar, that ain't too bad for 20k miles. Just saying, as obviously not all tires are created equal, even by the same manufacturer (e.g. Dunlop Sport vs Dunlop Signature).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Manufacturers buy tires by the boxcar-load, and for relatively inexpensive cars like ours, price trumps all. While we're enthusiasts, the typical MZ3 buyer is anything but an enthusiast. Most of those buyers likely have no idea what difference their OEM-supplied tires make, and Mazda, like other manufacturers, knows this.

When my Dunlops are worn-out (they're now 5/32nds at 27,566 miles), I'm going with Enkei RPF1s in 17X7.5 and one of the stickier summer tires in 215/45-17. If the grip offered by my winter tires is any indication, when going around corners the new summer tires will transform the handling of the MZ3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the same Mazda. Ditched the Dunlops for a set of Blizzak WS-80's on 16" wheels. Money well spent. I have a set of Pirelli P-Zero A/S in 215/45-18's mounted and ready to go in the Spring. The original Dunlops are sleeping in the garage until I trade in the car...the new owner will get a set of new, mediocre tires. "Your life rides on your tires!" Don't stint.

·
Registered
502 Posts
replaced the OEM with yoko's advan ad08r, couldn't be more happier with cornering and launch grip. way more direct tyre as well. though i'll be replacing another set soon about 20-30k kms in..

·
Registered
60 Posts
These sound like the Goodyear Eagle RSAs that were stock on our '06 3s. Terrible. They started wearing irregularly by probably 15k miles. By 20-25k they were desperately bad.

I forget what we replaced them with and can't determine exact miles, since my car ends up with Blizzaks for easily a third of the year, but I'd guesstimate they had 30-40k miles on them before recently replacing.

Now we have some cheap Kelly tires (purchased when we thought we'd maybe be selling the car in the near future), but they still seem better than the OEM Goodyears.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Eagle RSAs!!! Oh those tires...the memories...

My 5.9L V8 truck (shown in my "garage") had about 450ft lbs of torque and those tires were just fun filled driving. They sucked! RSA = Really Suck A-lot; or, Really Slip A-lot. We had more acronyms for those tires...first gear and about half of second gear would just roast those things....too fun

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had my Dunlops pro-rated out and replaced with Goodyear Eagle Sport All Seasons. Great tire, night and day difference.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Eagle RSAs!!! Oh those tires...the memories...

My 5.9L V8 truck (shown in my "garage") had about 450ft lbs of torque and those tires were just fun filled driving. They sucked! RSA = Really Suck A-lot; or, Really Slip A-lot. We had more acronyms for those tires...first gear and about half of second gear would just roast those things....too fun
First snow with our '06 3s...maybe an inch or two with an icy base and the RSAs. I got stuck in an unplowed parking lot. I couldn't get ANY traction, not even starting in 2nd gear. I very carefully pussyfooted home and we immediately ordered a set of cheap steels mounted with Blizzaks. I expect we have well over 50k miles on them and they still have another season or so of wear, though we are really careful to swap them on/off only when temps are consistenly <40º. Great tires for a car that fits all-season performance tires (all-season...maybe in places without a legit Winter). It takes a LOT for them to lose their grip and for my ABS to engage while braking.

·
Registered
266 Posts
When?:shocked: Those tires were crap to begin with, they must really suck now. Why wait?
lol The MZ3 is the wife's grocery-getter, and the only time I drive it is on interstate road trips. So, that's why. Any other car, I'd've swapped 'em out on day two.

Now, once the much-lighter and stickier wheel and tire combo are on the car, I expect to hit some back roads with it.

·
Registered
2016 3 Sport GT
20 Posts
I'm at 20 000 km on my 2016 MS3 and my tires are dying pretty fast. This car was purchased in April 2016 and it's ridiculous. Planning to replace them with Kelly Edge HP hopefully once more reviews come out for the tires.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Couldn't wait for the Dunlops to wear out. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport 3s and was huge for handling as well as road noise.
As I write this, I'm waiting on delivery of my new 2017 sGT. Told the dealership to switch them out with Michelins before I pick it up.

Reactions: Road Trip
1 - 19 of 19 Posts