2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
*The Electrician*
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My knob should be here this week too, tho Im going to try and cheat the shimming of said boot because I don't want to pull apart all that trim. Ive done it before with other vehicles with varying results, electrical tape on the shaft and pulling the top of the boot over the electrical tape. We'll see how it goes for this car, Im more of a red green mechanic lol I mostly shouldn't be allowed near car modding.

·
*The Electrician*
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
@arathol @Road Trip

yeahhhh baby, red necked that shit and it worked yaaaaaaaaaaa. Got my shift knob today, electrical tape and pulled the boot over the tape, sits perfectly flush yeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol ok im done. So happy it worked out and didn't have to remove any trim. One thing I noticed right away is the shift knob is totally disproportionate lol its too small for the console. Next time you guys get in your car take a hard look at it and you'll see what I mean, its hilarious. All the same, I still love it lol.

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
I too agree with you about its size (too small of a diameter), but maybe it looks the right size in the smaller MX-5.

And I also agree with you, it is still a wonderful mod. Love the baseball stitching, and it works so well!

·
Super Moderator
4,874 Posts
@arathol @Road Trip

yeahhhh baby, red necked that shit and it worked yaaaaaaaaaaa. Got my shift knob today, electrical tape and pulled the boot over the tape, sits perfectly flush yeeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. lol ok im done. So happy it worked out and didn't have to remove any trim. One thing I noticed right away is the shift knob is totally disproportionate lol its too small for the console. Next time you guys get in your car take a hard look at it and you'll see what I mean, its hilarious. All the same, I still love it lol.
Maybe you should put a Possum Lodge sticker on your window.
Quando omni flunkus moritati ..:laughing019:

Mine isn't disproportionate at all. Not really.:smile2:

·
*The Electrician*
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Maybe you should put a Possum Lodge sticker on your window.
Quando omni flunkus moritati ..:laughing019:
don't tempt me like that lol, i could get a duct tape mirror hanger or do like all the trucks and instead of balls dragging behind i could use 2 rolls of duct tape.......damnit why'd you have to say that lol now I'm super ass tempted to do that

·
Down 280 HP & loving it
105 Posts
Agghhhhhh! Former MR2 owner here. Those pics brought back some memories. Had an 88SC and a 93NA and I miss them everyday - even a 2007 S2K didn't erase them from my memory. Cheers, man.

I am looking to install the CorkSport short-throw plate later on.

When I get around to that project, I intend to trim the male threaded end of the shifter so the zip ties are no longer required. >:)

I come from owning several MKII MR2's and always loved a very short shifter.

Here are some great examples:

41 - 47 of 47 Posts